A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Chinese take out style recipes. Post them here!  (Read 5208 times)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Chinese take out style recipes. Post them here!
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2020, 10:48:54 AM »
+1 on the spicy bean sauce.  Couldn't make all the things that wow my friends without it.

Offline slagathor

• Get thee to a pizzeria!
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2020, 01:28:42 PM »
Some great links here, thanks to all.

I will add chef Raymond's take on Gen Tso Chicken. It shows some great techniques and includes a couple of important sauce recipes as well.

I really enjoy this video series and it's changed my Chinese cooking forever. I now understand more techniques and use of seasonings and ingredients, and of course, how to make these lovely sauces. He explains things quite well with good humor. Seems he's dropped of the radar in the last couple years and hsn't put anything new out but there is a great video library of awesome recipes on his YT channel, The Art of Cooking.

Cheers!
How many psychologists does it take to change a light bulb? Just one. But it takes some time and the light bulb has to want to change.

Offline punkrockchris

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2020, 09:21:13 PM »
Chicken potstickers and orange tofu.

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2020, 08:58:52 PM »
I will add chef Raymond's take on Gen Tso Chicken.

Good video, seemed like the real deal so I gave it a shot tonight.  I enjoyed it.  I was using the weights he had listed - I need to go through and check them before I make it again as I believe the sugar is off:

"Sugar=2 cup or 610 g"

According to google that should be closer to 400g.  I caught that one in time and used 400g.  I also thought that the white pepper, garlic powder, and salt in the chicken marinade seemed like a lot more in the recipe than it appeared in the video.  Not sure on those.
Carl

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2020, 09:13:15 AM »
Good video, seemed like the real deal so I gave it a shot tonight.  I enjoyed it.  I was using the weights he had listed - I need to go through and check them before I make it again as I believe the sugar is off:

"Sugar=2 cup or 610 g"

According to google that should be closer to 400g.  I caught that one in time and used 400g.  I also thought that the white pepper, garlic powder, and salt in the chicken marinade seemed like a lot more in the recipe than it appeared in the video.  Not sure on those.

FWIW, I use 1 C sugar = 203 g for a carrot cake recipe I make.
-Tony

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2020, 09:21:22 AM »
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2020, 09:25:26 AM »
I just get takeout if I want takeout style.
John

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Carl

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2020, 12:06:26 PM »
Thanks Hans, nice chart!
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Online quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2020, 05:40:46 PM »
I made this mapo tofu recipe, came out well:
https://thewoksoflife.com/ma-po-tofu-real-deal/
jeff

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2020, 06:45:49 PM »
Anyone know a good fried dumpling dipping sauce? I have tried numerous online recipes and none of them even compare to some of the dipping sauces you get with fried dumpling at a chinese take out. Theres always tiny bits of stuff at the bottom which is probably minced ginger/onion/garlic. Buts its the balance of vinegar/soy/sugar that really sets them apart from terrible online recipes. I seen a bottle at my local asian market but they only had HOT and it was kinda pricey for such a small bottle.

This gave me a headache: https://omnivorescookbook.com/dumpling-sauce/

I think the dipping sauce i am used to is more black vinegar and sugar then soy sauce.

Also, has anyone ever tried bull head shallot sauce? I really like using their sha cha sauce, just wondering what their shallot sauce is like, or good for?

« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 07:16:03 PM by FeCheF »

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2020, 07:41:31 PM »
I make mine with 1/4 C Soy sauce, 1/4 C black vinegar, 1t Mirin, 1/2 t sugar, 3/4 t garlic ginger paste, about 1/4 t hot sesame oil on top.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2020, 10:43:39 PM »
I make mine with 1/4 C Soy sauce, 1/4 C black vinegar, 1t Mirin, 1/2 t sugar, 3/4 t garlic ginger paste, about 1/4 t hot sesame oil on top.

Thats too much soy sauce for my palette. And Honestly, chinese take outs do not add sesame oil to their dipping sauce, at least not on the east coast states. I might be in the minority, but i can't stand the smell of toasted sesame oil. :-\

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2020, 10:54:34 PM »
Mine is not a Chinese style, it's very similar to what I've had in Tokyo.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2020, 01:28:04 AM »
Mine is not a Chinese style, it's very similar to what I've had in Tokyo.

That is disappointing. My all time time favorite places to go outside of the US is Japan. Specificly Tokyo. I probably would hate the food. lol. Oh well, at least there is Arcades and other stuff i wont mention on this PG forum, lol.

Offline punkrockchris

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2020, 07:00:42 PM »
Anyone know a good fried dumpling dipping sauce? I have tried numerous online recipes and none of them even compare to some of the dipping sauces you get with fried dumpling at a chinese take out. Theres always tiny bits of stuff at the bottom which is probably minced ginger/onion/garlic. Buts its the balance of vinegar/soy/sugar that really sets them apart from terrible online recipes. I seen a bottle at my local asian market but they only had HOT and it was kinda pricey for such a small bottle.

This gave me a headache: https://omnivorescookbook.com/dumpling-sauce/

I think the dipping sauce i am used to is more black vinegar and sugar then soy sauce.

Also, has anyone ever tried bull head shallot sauce? I really like using their sha cha sauce, just wondering what their shallot sauce is like, or good for?

Maybe try the sauce from this recipe? https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/04/pork-and-leek-dumplings-with-homemade-wrapper.html

Online quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2020, 07:34:54 PM »
That is disappointing. My all time time favorite places to go outside of the US is Japan. Specificly Tokyo. I probably would hate the food. lol. Oh well, at least there is Arcades and other stuff i wont mention on this PG forum, lol.

sauces are used sparingly in tokyo. for example, they don't dunk sushi in soy, ginger and wasabi as we do here in the states. if soy is used at all, it's lightly painted on to the fish.
jeff

Online quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2020, 07:37:11 PM »
beef stir fry
jeff

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2020, 08:28:40 PM »
Tried the Chef Raymond sweet and sour chicken tonight except I used the General Tso's sauce I made before for me, and the sweet and sour for my wife, except she went with the duck sauce from the jar in the fridge.  She liked the chicken though so that's something  :P
Carl

Offline Yeller

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2021, 09:46:16 AM »
We always cook Chinese all from scratch...Here we have hot n sour soup with pork shrimp dumplings in a chili sauce...so much fun

wordpress