Soup
« on: September 02, 2020, 07:00:14 PM »
False fall called for a soup. Roasted butternut:

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Soup
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 09:02:35 PM »
That sounds and looks fantastic Chris... great looking bread too.... im now hungry!

Offline punkrockchris

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 10:08:54 AM »
Chilled Corn Soup with Crispy Pepperoni and Pepperoni Oil.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 10:17:59 AM »
Chilled Corn Soup with Crispy Pepperoni and Pepperoni Oil.
That could be a great ice cream flavor too! Calabrian chili oil swirl plus what you have.
-Tony

Offline punkrockchris

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 10:32:18 AM »
That could be a great ice cream flavor too! Calabrian chili oil swirl plus what you have.

That sounds great. Last time I made this I did use Craig's Calabrian Chili Oil to finish, and included some roasted jalapeno in the soup. This time my 8 year old son wanted in and had to make it less spicy. He loves Pepperoni.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Offline texmex

• I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 05:17:53 PM »
Hell Yeah, soup!  :drool:

Made some broth from 2 smoked chicken carcasses. Will make soup tomorrow.
Today we're having chicken/mushroom with horseradish mustard cream sauce over rice.
Reesa

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 01:42:39 AM »
I made seafood chowder yesterday to go with Thanksgiving dinner.   Clams, shrimp, and the biggest bay scallops I've ever seen (I had to cut them in half).  My son and and I got into it and there's only about 600mL left.  We're holed up, so there's only three of us.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 03:06:01 AM by jkb »
John

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 09:05:38 PM »
Today we're having chicken/mushroom with horseradish mustard cream sauce over rice.

Tell us some more info on this please!!!
Jon

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline texmex

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2020, 12:31:54 PM »
Tell us some more info on this please!!!

I had smoked chicken...so chopped into chunks and set aside, otherwise, lightly flour up some chicken strips with s&p as well, and fry them quickly in butter or oil, set aside.  Then, sautee some mushrooms with onions, season with salt & pepper, garlic, pinch of red pepper. Next, stir in a litttle broth or water with heavy cream and add a generous spoonful or two of your choice of mustards plus horseradish.  I used to only use dijon, but now I enjoy all types of the mustards in this sauce, and find dijon too bland... I once had a spicy horseradish mustard that worked in a pinch, so I continue to add horseradish to taste when I have it. or whichever type mustard I find in the fridge.  adjust to taste...sometimes a really hot mustard can kick it up a bit more....add the chicken to the sauce and serve over rice.
Reesa

Offline texmex

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 02:07:08 PM »
My last batch of broth ended up in my turkey gravy and in my enchiladas.
No soup for you!

I decided to make some chowder today. Fried up some corn, bacon, onion and ham....it's almost ready!  oops. it is ready....
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 02:16:52 PM by texmex »
Reesa

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 11:04:40 PM »
My last batch of broth ended up in my turkey gravy and in my enchiladas.
No soup for you!

I decided to make some chowder today. Fried up some corn, bacon, onion and ham....it's almost ready!  oops. it is ready....

That looks delicious, Reesa. What am I seeing that look like potatoes? Are they your thickener?
-Tony

Offline texmex

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2020, 05:44:20 AM »

That looks delicious, Reesa. What am I seeing that look like potatoes? Are they your thickener?

Hubby said it was, and I agree.  Yep, I always start with slow simmered potatoes with a couple cubes bouillon. (small and large dice so the smalls  begin to disintegrate a bit before the large can fall apart).  I would normally put some fine dice carrot and celery in here, but nothing much in my fridge right now. ::)
I used to make a cheesy bechamel for this soup, but it is not needed, and I only add about 1/3 can of canned milk and some cornstarch to even it out a bit. add the cheese on top, or some yogurt or sour cream. I ate mine without.
Hatch Chile is often in there too but after those hot green enchiladas earlier this week, I wanted something mild. 
Reesa

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2020, 07:04:40 AM »

Hubby said it was, and I agree.  Yep, I always start with slow simmered potatoes with a couple cubes bouillon. (small and large dice so the smalls  begin to disintegrate a bit before the large can fall apart).  I would normally put some fine dice carrot and celery in here, but nothing much in my fridge right now. ::)
I used to make a cheesy bechamel for this soup, but it is not needed, and I only add about 1/3 can of canned milk and some cornstarch to even it out a bit. add the cheese on top, or some yogurt or sour cream. I ate mine without.
Hatch Chile is often in there too but after those hot green enchiladas earlier this week, I wanted something mild. 
Thank you. I am interested in the building of stocks and soups and like your method here. I bet there was great depth of flavor. It looks almost as if it could be bean based, but Im not too good with colors.
-Tony

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2020, 07:16:25 AM »
My wife came home with a rotisserie chicken yesterday...

And matzah...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 07:23:01 AM by jkb »
John

Offline texmex

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2020, 09:38:04 AM »
Thank you. I am interested in the building of stocks and soups and like your method here. I bet there was great depth of flavor. It looks almost as if it could be bean based, but Im not too good with colors.

Tony, it was the ham that got me wanting to make a soup, but we like split pea in the bean mix, and I'm all out.   Then I saw the frozen corn and decided on ham and corn chowder.  It is good with just bacon, and better with some creamed corn, but this came out just fine.
Frying the usual umami veg along with the aromatics is a process you soon learn and it makes the soups POP.  Sometimes I get the onion in at the wrong time and it doesn't have time to break down enough to sweeten (gosh, I hate that taste), so I often fry things in separated sequences. 

If you really want to add flavor and a certain "je ne sais quoi" to the mix, start saving those veggie bits and ends.( keep a container in the freezer  stuff like thoroughly washed tough ends of asparagus, potato peels, root ends of veggies, celery leaves, mushroom stems etc.) this goes in the stock with the bones, or makes a great vegetarian broth by itself. Strain out any solids.
 I have dehydrated a bunch of this veg stuff and then run it through the ninja for a powdered version of veggie broth.  It can be very pungent depending on what's predominant.

I always fry up the bones very well before adding the vegetables and water,  for deeper flavor.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 09:40:38 AM by texmex »
Reesa

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2020, 10:58:03 AM »
Many good ideas there, Reesa! A couple I am already using and others to try. Tis the season.

Several years ago I bought one of those big wire fryer strainers (looks kind of like a tomato cage) and a box of the huge paper filters at GFS. They are probably wondering by now why I have not been back for any oil.

My best chicken stocks have been made with browned bones and what I think of as sacrifice vegetables (basically refrigerator scraps not suited for much else), strained in the above contraption and de-fatted, or mostly so, with my Oxo 4 cup fat separator. I think the next step in my process may be to save the chicken fat for something else rather than discard it. Should have thought of that before just now.
-Tony

Offline texmex

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2020, 11:31:29 AM »
Many good ideas there, Reesa! A couple I am already using and others to try. Tis the season.

I think the next step in my process may be to save the chicken fat for something else rather than discard it. Should have thought of that before just now.

Umm, that's part of the stock, Tony!  Yeah, I know it is sometimes way too much fat, and I just peel some of it off the top after a day in the fridge, but it definitely works for frying up the soup ingredients, or when making gravy roux. 
Reesa

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2020, 12:39:59 PM »

Umm, that's part of the stock, Tony!  Yeah, I know it is sometimes way too much fat, and I just peel some of it off the top after a day in the fridge, but it definitely works for frying up the soup ingredients, or when making gravy roux.
I did it, originally, for love. She is going to get it back in a sauce or on potatoes or something though.  ;D
-Tony

Offline punkrockchris

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2020, 06:47:48 PM »
 Cuban black bean soup.

Offline texmex

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2020, 09:20:08 AM »
Split Pea, it's what's for breakfast.
Reesa