A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: reheat roman slice...  (Read 645 times)

Offline Panzudo

• I Love Pizza!
reheat roman slice...
« on: November 11, 2020, 08:30:40 PM »
Hi

I will be  opening a small counter by the slice shop soon and am trying to fit all of the parts together to move towards a goal that i see over the horizon.

First let me say that my professional pizza experience revolves around operating a mobile WFO trailer during the summer festival season.
I have learned a fair amount doing that but due to Covid my business model is not ideal! (large gatherings)

Anyway i am going down the path of starting a Stone Milled organic Flour business as well as a Roman Style Pizza by the slice lunch business. They are side by side)
I will also sell take and bake and frozen pizza from that retail location. With an eye on developing a line of wholesale premium pizza... eventually.
Of course i will use my own fresh milled flour. Plus there is an Italian Cheese maker down the road from me (huge bonus)

Anyway some of my main questions at this stage revolve around processes and ingredients that will enable me to offer a re heated slice of Al Taglio
My preference is towards an airier higher dough structure ( i see myself offering an A la Palla thin crust in a frozen Pie only. )

I will be developing this over the winter and hopefully will come up with a few winners in a few months.

I am considering a blend of 70% Sifted Hard Spring White Wheat- 25% Whole Grain Emmer and 5% Durum Wheat (Fine ground)
Probably a 48 or 72 hr CF -

Would you suggest a parbakee then topped? Or straight bake? I have a blast freezer for the frozen pies, again partake dough add raw ingredients then freeze?

The main bake will be in a Tiziano Cuppone and the reheat will be in a smaller Cuppone. Temps?

I was planning on going to Italy and visit some of these places for inspiration and possibly some training but we know what happened there.
There is even a place in Toronto that offers training but I'm not flying anywhere for a while.

Anyway as you see lots to consider.

I am hoping to document some of this on here if there is interest.
Tahnks
Dave

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: reheat roman slice...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 09:40:00 PM »
I don't know how close you are to Florida, but Massamiliano makes some seriously incredible pizza.  I think visiting him would be just as good as going to Rome.  https://www.romanpizzaacademy.com

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 10:18:02 PM »
Hi David,

Ok it's better and clearer like this!

I think a lot of your result will depend on your flour as it needs to be able to handle high hydration.
There many threads dealing with this kind of pizza, so you can learn from them and start testing if not started yet. Obviously you already have experience, so you just need some more in order to make and handle properly the high hydration dough, and you'll be good.
For the baking, using a pan (una teglia), you'll have to have more heat from the bottom (a standard starting point would be 250°C for the top and 300°C for the bottom), then adjust.
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline Panzudo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 12:24:07 AM »
Florida, I wish. I see him online, pretty impressive what he is doing.

YAel, thanks I have just bought a bunch of blue steel pans and will start experimenting soon.

Offline Panzudo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 01:13:39 AM »
Starting my recipe trials...

A D V E R T I S E M E N T