A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Tall & Airy Focaccia  (Read 1950 times)

Offline nlavon

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Tall & Airy Focaccia
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2021, 01:18:14 PM »
My bad. I reread the printed recipe and the oven temperature is 450, not 350.

Offline bethj

• Pizza! Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2021, 10:03:15 AM »
@nlavon

I can't explain the discrepancy in the salt, but share from my own experience:  1 t. kosher salt in the dough, and 1/2 t. kosher salt in the pan.  That makes the bread plenty salt for us.

Offline Breaking Bread

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2021, 12:36:29 PM »
Here's one of my go-to Focaccia recipes:
700g APF
525g H20 @ 85-90F
15g Sea Salt
0.5g Instant Dry Yeast.
This is done in a 6qt. Dough Tub.

Mix the flour and water and allow to sit for 30min.  (Autolyse)
Reserve 50g of the water to hydrate the yeast.
After 20min. Hydrate the yeast in the water.
10min later, pour the yeast water along with the salt on the dough.  Mix well using stretch and folds and pincer method for 3-5min until the dough comes together.
Allow to rest for 30-45min.
Perform 3-5 stretch and folds spaced 30min apart.
Allow to bulk and triple in size over 12-14h period @room temp.
Dump dough on a floured surface and form into a tight round ball.
Place the ball on an (olive) oiled deep dish black steel or similar tray.  Something with high edges is ideal or oil may spurt out while cooking and burn on the bottom of your oven.  If you don't have a high rimmed baking pan, go easy on the oil.
Over the course of 30min gradually spread out the dough to fill the pan. Allow to rest for another hour while you pre-heat your oven to 475F.
Dimple the dough with your fingertips, liberally pour olive oil on top, then drizzle some warm water with sea salt dissolved in it. (This water will create the light "valleys" you see in the dough when it bakes).
Then liberally sprinkle (Maldon) flaked sea salt on top.
Cook for 15-20min on an upper middle rack in your oven.  You may need to broil for the last minute or two to get the deep brown color on top.
Cool on a wire rack, cut and enjoy!

Offline ARenko

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2021, 05:15:03 PM »
Here's one of my go-to Focaccia recipes:
700g APF
525g H20 @ 85-90F
15g Sea Salt
0.5g Instant Dry Yeast.
This is done in a 6qt. Dough Tub.

Mix the flour and water and allow to sit for 30min.  (Autolyse)
Reserve 50g of the water to hydrate the yeast.
After 20min. Hydrate the yeast in the water.
10min later, pour the yeast water along with the salt on the dough.  Mix well using stretch and folds and pincer method for 3-5min until the dough comes together.
Allow to rest for 30-45min.
Perform 3-5 stretch and folds spaced 30min apart.
Allow to bulk and triple in size over 12-14h period @room temp.
Dump dough on a floured surface and form into a tight round ball.
Place the ball on an (olive) oiled deep dish black steel or similar tray.  Something with high edges is ideal or oil may spurt out while cooking and burn on the bottom of your oven.  If you don't have a high rimmed baking pan, go easy on the oil.
Over the course of 30min gradually spread out the dough to fill the pan. Allow to rest for another hour while you pre-heat your oven to 475F.
Dimple the dough with your fingertips, liberally pour olive oil on top, then drizzle some warm water with sea salt dissolved in it. (This water will create the light "valleys" you see in the dough when it bakes).
Then liberally sprinkle (Maldon) flaked sea salt on top.
Cook for 15-20min on an upper middle rack in your oven.  You may need to broil for the last minute or two to get the deep brown color on top.
Cool on a wire rack, cut and enjoy!
Very much like mine, which is a variation on the salt acid fat heat recipe. I assume yours is as well.

Offline nlavon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2021, 08:57:04 AM »
So, I made the ATK focaccia for SB Sunday. The dough was really soft and delicate, like in the video. I think I worried too much about expanding the dough out to the sides of the two nine-inch pie pans and most likely overhandled the dough. After I did expand it out and let it rest, I noticed a few bubbles--actual small bubbles on the surface that you really had to look for to see. I had some fresh rosemary growing out back which survives our small snowfalls, and used that as the topping.

The taste was really good, and the pieces had nice airholes. But I think next time, I will use an eight-inch square brownie pan rather than the nine-inch pie pans. I am hoping for a higher-rise focaccia than the ones I did. Definitely worth it. Of course, I ate too much of it.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress