A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: NY/NJ style sauce for subs/heros  (Read 564 times)

Offline johnnyoak

• I Love Pizza!
NY/NJ style sauce for subs/heros
« on: March 19, 2021, 09:42:48 AM »
Hello all, not sure if this is the appropriate category for this post, but unsure as to where it would go.

That said, I'm seeking some recipes for sauce to go on hot subs (chicken parm, eggplant, etc).

Many of the places I've eaten at in NJ since childhood have a more traditional cooked tomato sauce that goes on these type of sandwiches, but I truly have no idea where to start in order to replicate the flavor.

Most that I've had from local pizzerias definitely aren't a simple marinara and I've been told there is mirepoix in them, but I've tried that and the flavor was definitely off.

Any help or direction would be really appreciated!!

Online jsaras

• Supporting Member
Re: NY/NJ style sauce for subs/heros
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 02:55:55 PM »
You'll get a lot of different answers, but my two favorite marinara sauces are Marcella Hazan's: https://www.thekitchn.com/marcella-hazans-amazing-4ingre-144538

and Lidia Bastianich: https://buffalonews.com/entertainment/dining/marinara-worth-mastering/article_f47c3fb7-ab72-593b-8744-56191e2c1e96.html

Note that Hazan's amount of butter (5TB) is 70 grams.  I like to split that between olive oil and butter.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 05:26:04 PM »
I like to use a thick and hearty spaghetti sauce for chicken parms and meatball subs. Ragu makes a homestyle thick and hearty tomato and basil sauce that i really like.

Honestly, the star of the show should always be the meatballs and bread, or breaded chicken and bread. And the cheese of course.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 05:28:05 PM by FeCheF »

Offline SammyMeatballs

• I Love aPizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 03:07:46 PM »
A marinara is a quick 20-30 min sauce made in a skillet.  A great time to use your San Marzani.

For a Sunday Sauce, I'll chop an onion and heat it in olive oil until they soften up.  Then I add the garlic and stir that around.  Then a small can of tomato paste and a can's worth of water.  Stir that all around for a minute or two.  Then I add two 280z can of crushed tomatoes and half a can each of water to get the residual out of the can and into the sauce.  Heat it up to almost a boil and turn it down to medium-low, mostly covered.  If you have fresh basil, you can add some initially.  Stir every 15 minutes or so and cook for three hours.

If you have the basil, the best time to add for maximum flavor is at the end. That's a pretty simple one I grew up with from my Neopolitan grandmother.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 03:10:34 PM by SammyMeatballs »
-Sammy

Offline johnnyoak

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 09:39:34 PM »
Thank you all!!

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 09:46:53 PM »
Thank you all!!

Two weeks later.....Are we going to get a decision on what you went with?

Offline johnnyoak

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2021, 09:49:32 PM »
Went with a marinara similar to what SammyMeatballs described above, which turned out great!

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 09:56:39 PM »
Went with a marinara similar to what SammyMeatballs described above, which turned out great!

Thats a LOT of sauce. I hope you freeze it.

Offline johnnyoak

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2021, 12:14:03 PM »
I actually used a #10 Alta Cucina, so even more than he called for. I typically do make large batches of sauce (pizza, marinara, etc) and vacuum seal & freeze them. Less work the next time you need something in a pinch!

Offline SammyMeatballs

• I Love aPizza!
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2021, 03:53:23 PM »
Thats a LOT of sauce. I hope you freeze it.

We always had large family gatherings on Sunday. That's enough sauce for two pounds of maccheroni so sometimes three cans were needed.
-Sammy

wordpress