A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Started BBQ season.  (Read 3396 times)

Online 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
Re: Started BBQ season.
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2021, 06:21:56 PM »
Man this is a tough crowd.  :-D
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2021, 06:32:35 PM »

Just wait for the electric vs charcoal vs propane vs pellet vs stick burner debate.

Offline texmex

• I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2021, 06:35:02 PM »

Someone just loves to hate anything to do with Texas and our quaint traditions.
Reesa

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2021, 06:37:35 PM »

Someone just loves to hate anything to do with Texas and our quaint traditions.

Speaking of Texas, I think im going to make some texas chili w/beans over rice.

Offline barryvabeach

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2021, 09:24:16 AM »
Speaking of smoking season, look what showed up yesterday. Just finished putting it together. I'll season it on Sunday, and Tuesday will be smoking a couple of pork butts.
I've never had an electric smoker before, always had a cheap stick burner offset, and then, when we moved 20 years ago,  I gave it away, not wanting to pay to move it.
So it's time to get back into it, but the easy way.

Nice looking smoker. You will want to consider getting an Amazen Pellet tube or tray   https://amazenproducts.com/     The Masterbuilt has a chip loader, but IIRC ,  the chips last 30 to 45 minutes.  Pellets in an Amazen Tube 12 inch can last for 4 hours or more,  the tray can last up to 12 hours. The tray was designed for the first generation MES,  not sure which version is best suited for your model.   

Offline rkrider99

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2021, 10:11:01 AM »
Nice looking smoker. You will want to consider getting an Amazen Pellet tube or tray   https://amazenproducts.com/     The Masterbuilt has a chip loader, but IIRC ,  the chips last 30 to 45 minutes.  Pellets in an Amazen Tube 12 inch can last for 4 hours or more,  the tray can last up to 12 hours. The tray was designed for the first generation MES,  not sure which version is best suited for your model.   

Thanks Barry.
This model is one of their latest with a separate smoking system. It has it's own heating element, and you can set the smoke level from 1-5. In addition, it has a door on the side, instead of the tube drawer. You can put in 2.75" x 3.5" chunks of wood, which did away with the chip issue. Depending on the level of smoke setting, the chunk should be good from 1-4 hours. If it still doesn't work as advertised, then I'll look into the Amazen products.
Tom

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2021, 11:15:29 AM »
You'll like that rk. I have a Cookshack Electric, it cooks well and it's very convenient.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Online 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2021, 11:20:19 AM »
Thanks Barry.
This model is one of their latest with a separate smoking system. It has it's own heating element, and you can set the smoke level from 1-5. In addition, it has a door on the side, instead of the tube drawer. You can put in 2.75" x 3.5" chunks of wood, which did away with the chip issue. Depending on the level of smoke setting, the chunk should be good from 1-4 hours. If it still doesn't work as advertised, then I'll look into the Amazen products.
Tom

Here is another option for adding additional smoke.  I use this one.
http://www.blazngrillworks.com/blazn-smoker-pro
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline barryvabeach

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2021, 07:49:39 AM »
Thanks Barry.
Tom

Tom,  thanks,  that sounds like quite an upgrade,  I have one of the earliest models, and used the chip loader a few times, then switched over to the Amazen.   BTW,  it must be pretty new,  I checked the MES website and didn't even see it listed. 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 07:54:37 AM by barryvabeach »

Offline rkrider99

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2021, 10:21:53 AM »
Tom,  thanks,  that sounds like quite an upgrade,  I have one of the earliest models, and used the chip loader a few times, then switched over to the Amazen.   BTW,  it must be pretty new,  I checked the MES website and didn't even see it listed.

I'm actually not sure what's going on with this model. They brought it out last year, and I think they've discontinued it already. I think it came out with a list price of $700. You can find them around right now between $250-$300, new.
Scroll down on this page and you'll see all the features of the MES 400 series. https://www.masterbuilt.com/pages/mes-400-series

I'm bummed out a little. I wanted to get the broiler/finisher attachment, along with the rotisserie attachment, figuring it would be nice for chicken. I can buy the rotisserie, but the broiler is sold out, and they're not sure they are getting anymore.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 11:15:10 AM by rkrider99 »

Offline barryvabeach

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2021, 08:07:36 PM »
Not sure either, i did some searching and found descriptions on Dicks and Home Depot.  Let us know how you make out with it. 

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2021, 06:34:21 AM »
Just wait for the electric vs charcoal vs propane vs pellet vs stick burner debate.

Are there actually people who like the taste of meat smoked with pellets over charcoal?  I think the debate could be pellet grills are easier since most have PID's maybe? I have a Masterbuilt 560 Gravity coming in a few days. Charcoal + wood chunks = yes please.  Not that there's anything wrong with some ribs made on a pellet smoker, I would gladly eat some right now if I could. But it's just not the same.  I was super super close to getting a pellet grill for the simplicity of them having controllers so I don't have to fiddle with vents and doors throughout the cook to try and regulate the temp. That's until I found the 560, I didn't know such thing as a gravity fed charcoal smoker even existed until a few weeks ago.  Granted I'm nowhere near a smoker or grilling expert, I just know for me charcoal wins in flavor by a large margin.

With that said if not this year, in 2022 I'll get a pellet grill, I really like the Grilla Alpha
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 06:45:46 AM by Quebert »

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2021, 06:58:04 AM »
Are there actually people who like the taste of meat smoked with pellets over charcoal?  I think the debate could be pellet grills are easier since most have PID's maybe? I have a Masterbuilt 560 Gravity coming in a few days. Charcoal + wood chunks = yes please.  Not that there's anything wrong with some ribs made on a pellet smoker, I would gladly eat some right now if I could. But it's just not the same.  I was super super close to getting a pellet grill for the simplicity of them having controllers so I don't have to fiddle with vents and doors throughout the cook to try and regulate the temp. That's until I found the 560, I didn't know such thing as a gravity fed charcoal smoker even existed until a few weeks ago.  Granted I'm nowhere near a smoker or grilling expert, I just know for me charcoal wins in flavor by a large margin.

With that said if not this year, in 2022 I'll get a pellet grill, I really like the Grilla Alpha

I can't speak for the gravity fed charcoal smokers, but I do like the flavor of my pellet smokers more then my charcoal smokers.

Offline rkrider99

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2021, 07:07:09 AM »
I do like the taste of charcoal grilled meats. I'll keep my 22" Weber charcoal kettle on hand when I want to do burgers, steaks, anything that I'll want quick and easy.

It will be interesting to taste the difference between a slow smoked rack of ribs from the smoker, and one that I do over the charcoal, with a chunk of hickory.

Offline halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2021, 08:41:14 AM »
I have a recteq pellet grill and it's great. Super easy to use but more important everything I've cooked with it taste great.   My recteq replaced my big green egg

Also have a big 5 burner gasser a
22" weber charcoal, and blackstone griddle

Each one serves a purpose

Don't knock the pellet grills. It produces great flavor

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2021, 07:33:28 PM »
I do like the taste of charcoal grilled meats. I'll keep my 22" Weber charcoal kettle on hand when I want to do burgers, steaks, anything that I'll want quick and easy.

It will be interesting to taste the difference between a slow smoked rack of ribs from the smoker, and one that I do over the charcoal, with a chunk of hickory.

You are comparing apples to oranges when you are talking about charcoal smoked meats vs charcoal grilled meats. That said, I still prefer the flavor of my pellet grilled meats. Specificly my Pit Boss that has a open flame slider to get that wood fired taste.

Offline halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2021, 08:07:44 PM »
Prime rib on the recteq pellet.  It was great

Jerry

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2021, 08:17:22 PM »
thatís a beauty jerry!
jeff

Offline halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2021, 08:43:38 PM »
thatís a beauty jerry!
Thanks and cooked it while I had 101 fever

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2021, 12:08:35 AM »
Thanks and cooked it while I had 101 fever

Last meal? Sorry, bad joke. Hopefully its not covid. I just got my second pfizer vaccine today. Went home around 10am, got tired, slept till 6pm, woke up, arm sore as fauk. If its anything like the first dose, my arm is going to hurt worse tommorow, and the flu like symptoms will progress. Oh well, at least i can travel while all the tin foil hat suckers are stuck at home.  :-D

wordpress