A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
Focaccia Style / Re: Pizza alla Romana
« Last post by PizzaCalcio on Today at 05:39:12 PM »
Hey All!

Hope everyone is doing well. I just returned from a trip to Rome and did a week at the Pinsa School working on Teglia and Pala - - highly recommended , Bianca below

Question for the group - has anyone used the Breville Pizzaiolo for Teglia or Pala? I am searching for a home deck oven and am hesitant to purchase based off the small opening for loading the pizza in. Trying to find a US alternative to the EffeUno

Thanks everyone!
New York Style / nickyr's Krispy Grandma
« Last post by nickyr on Today at 04:28:49 PM »
A few recent photos I found on my phone. In the last one you can see what happens if you have too much liquid left in your sauce!
New York Style / nickyr's Krispy Grandma
« Last post by nickyr on Today at 04:26:04 PM »
Someone asked for my grandma pizza recipe, so here it is. This is inspired by a chain in New York and New Jersey called Krispy Pizza.

Dough formulation is in an attached photo for both a 14x14 pan and 11x17 (standard half sheet). All measurements in grams.

I use Kyrol flour (14% protein), but any bread flour will be OK.

1. Mix dough ingredients in food processor for 45 seconds (or standing mixer on medium-low for 8-10 minutes) and cold ferment for 40-48 hours.
2. Remove dough from pan and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
3. Grease pan with 1 tbsp of Crisco.
4. Drop dough into pan and, with your fingertips, stretch it to about 1-2 inches from the edges of the pan. Cover with plastic wrap or a lid.
5. After 30-60 minutes, stretch the dough the rest of the way and up the sides of the pan. Focus on stretching from the middle, or else you'll end up with thin edges and a thick middle. If you have trouble with thin spots, you can use your fingertips to move the dough around and spread the thick spots into the thin spots. You can also do 3-4 series of stretches before getting all the way to the edge of the pan instead of just 2.
6. Let the dough proof for 1-2 hours. Pop any bubbles. It's OK to use your fingertips to even out the dough while this is happening, we're not looking for a lot of rise.
7. While proofing, preheat oven to hottest temperature with pizza stone in it for at least an hour.
8. Parbake crust for 6-8 minutes, until there are just a couple light brown spots on top. Spin it halfway through, and smash it down with a spatula if it's puffing up.
9. Let the crust cool on a wire rack (30 minutes or so is good, but this is flexible).
10. Meanwhile, prepare a cooked sauce with olive oil, garlic, crushed tomatoes, and lots of basil. I like some red pepper flakes and oregano too. Cook the sauce for 10-20 minutes. You want to get the runniest liquid out of it, or it will run all over the pizza and make it less beautiful.
11. Top the parbaked crust with 1 lb of low moisture mozzarella, sliced or shredded. (You can also do 1.25 lbs of sliced fresh mozzarella, about half a centimeter thick. I haven't done this for a while.)
12. Add a tablespoon or two of olive oil to the pan, put the crust (topped with cheese) back in the pan, and return it to the oven. Bake for 12-18 minutes, rotating halfway through. (I tend to like my pizzas well done, just pull it when it looks good to you.)
13. Spoon the sauce on. (If you want, you can return it to the oven for a few more minutes here. I don't do this anymore, because it's extra work and I don't want my sauce to get to sweet. But if you don't want your cheese to get very brown, put sauce on for more of the bake to protect the cheese.)
14. Top with a hard cheese and lots of basil.

Credits: I learned stuff from https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17993. That's for Umberto's grandma, which is not parbaked. Worth checking out, though.

General Pizza Making / Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Last post by nickyr on Today at 03:35:16 PM »
Trying to make some new haven style pizzas;

The dough was over fermented, but still came out okay.

Would like more char next time without the cheese starting to overcook and boil, making it become holey / leak grease (was experimenting with spraying the cheese with water first) - may have to try spritzing the dome of my blackstone instead though  ??? .

Also is very thin with a TF of 0.07175. Maybe a little too thin  ???
You could try freezing the cheese. I think serious eats does that. Iíve never needed to with my equipment though.
Home Ovens / Re: Adding Chimney to DIY Oven
« Last post by Jon in Albany on Today at 02:06:06 PM »
I'd go with framing that meets your local code. Maybe wood is ok based on spacing, maybe metal studs. Set a double walled 8 or 10 inch diameter chimney pipe up the middle. Bigger is probably better with this. You want good draw up the chimney so no smoke come out the front to stain the stucco. Concrete board might be a good option for behind stucco instead of plywood. Not sure how much materials are now. Last time i saw a sheet of plywood it was very expensive.

I put a box and a roof over my oven and still haven't gotten around to making the outside look nice so I don't have any first hand stucco experience.
Home Ovens / Re: Adding Chimney to DIY Oven
« Last post by greenmax on Today at 01:49:36 PM »
You can build anything you want around a pizza oven. The key is to make the oven protected from the elements and water. One thing to keep in mind with this photo, it that you will not want the mouth of the oven to be as big as that fireplace. So the front won't look exactly like that.

Thank you for the response. I understand your point about the small mouth of the oven. I am not sure about the best way to build the chimney. Should I be using framing, plywood and stucco.

Ok so hereís an interesting article I found, written by Kenji, that takes a controlled scientific approach to testing out various cold-fermentation durations. https://www.seriouseats.com/the-pizza-lab-how-long-should-i-let-my-dough-cold-ferment

In a nutshell, he bulk-ferments his dough in the fridge, and bakes some of it each day. On day 1, he notes that the rim is a ďuniform brownĒ, which he characterizes as being less desirable or interesting than the contrast of colours you get after longer fermentations. On day 3, you can clearly see in his photos that the dough is much more pale in spots, with charred spots wherever there are bubbles. His day-3 dough looks very similar in color to my latest! While he doesnít seem to have made the correlation between the pallor of his dough and the amount of time that yeast has had to consume more of the sugars, at least this is a good indication that Iím in the ballpark for 3-day fermentation period.

Going forward, I think Iíll stick with .2% IDY, Iíll try increasing oil slightly to 1.5% (after all, Iím baking it in my kitchen oven, not a pizza oven), and Iíll also reduce water to maybe 68.5% in hopes of making the dough less slack and easier to handle.

Thanks all for weighing in and getting me thinking in the right direction!
They are VERY popular in the sous vide crowd!!!

Craig, did they come down in price from when they first came out or were they always $75??

IMHO they are really not well made and tend to not last very long.  We do a good bit of sous-vide and I am not really a fan of the torch (with or without the fixture) - can't explain exactly why. I prefer to sear on super hot cast iron with some clarified butter.  Note - that I have certainly used a torch in odd situation to cook hot dogs, quickly fry bologna, toast bread, caramelize cheese on an undercooked delivery pizza, make s'mores, etc.   But mostly I use it to light the weber and solder copper pipes ;)
Dough Clinic / Re: Dough Taste factor question
« Last post by foreplease on Today at 12:13:06 PM »
I like your criteria and system. Iím not sure how to improve it. These are non-pan pizzas, I presume?
Sodface
The secret to this pizza is the technique..   I think you nailed it!!

John
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
wordpress