A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
Off-Topic Foods / Re: Sweets and Desserts
« Last post by quietdesperation on Today at 01:31:54 PM »
I don't know what it is, but it sure looks good.

It's a sweet jewish dish, my wife's version has egg noodles, eggs, butter, cream cheese, sugar, browned panko bread crumbs and sour cream.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kugel

there's also potato kugel, a savory dish, which is fantastic, imagine crispy hash browns formed into a pie:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato_kugel

If anyone is interested in giving one a try. between the two, potato kugel with a roast or steak, would, I beleive, have more unversal appeal.
Home Ovens / Re: New oven after Roccbox
« Last post by foobar34 on Today at 01:19:17 PM »
After your post I had a look at the Zio Ciro mini - I#m pretty much in love with this now, thank you  :P

But I'm curious if this (on my balcony in Germany) would need the careful handling about heating up like you mentioned. With the Ardore it's easy: heat up on max, make Pizza. But the Ciro Mini looks more professional and has more space for bigger Pies. Its really attractive albeit the 1000 it costs :)
It's hard to provide guidance for a different oven than the one I owned. But all refractory material used for pizza oven domes is similar. And when exposed to a very wet atmosphere, absorbs moisture. Also, if the temperature drops at night and it warms up in the morning, humidity will condense on the colder inside of the oven. Have you ever seen morning dew in a fall or spring day? Your oven would be a condensation spot if not sealed in some ways.

If I were to leave a Zio Ciro Mini oven outside unsealed, and not use it form say, 2 rainy months, I would expect the inside to have a higher than safe humidity level inside the refractory. So on first firing after the rains, I would err on the side of pre-heating it at <200C for a couple of hours, before firing it at full blast. If it's a wet period but I used the oven 3 das ago, no problems. It's all a matter of how much moisture can get into the refractory dome.

If you go to the Zio Ciro page https://ziociro.com/product/zio-ciro-mini/ and look at their curing steps, you see how elaborate those are. When new, 6 separate firings on 6 separate days (the oven needs to get back to room temperature, at least 4-5 hours), of increasing temperatures

Granted, the initial curing is different, so you will never need to do it again. But the principle still applies: if there is humidity deep into the dome refractory and you heat it too fast, the humidity expands into steam and has nowhere to go. If you are lucky, you get a boom and a crack, if unlucky a boom and a piece of refractory breaks off

If you have a way to seal the oven properly and cover it, it should be safe. Put an hygrometer inside the sealed dome and see what it reads. Worst case, seal the oven and use a few bags of silica. When you are done using the oven, once it cools off enough to be safe for the silica beads, put those back into the oven to "cook off" the humidity, wait for the oven to be cool, and seal again. Silica beads are  almost infinitely reusable, absorbing humidity, and releasing it when heated for a long time

I honestly don't think it's necessarily a problem. Just something to be aware of. If you leave your oven open on a German balcony all winter, the first time you fire it I would be extremely cautious, unlike the Ardore which doesn't have the same concern

P.S. I just read your Ardore post, and you mention that you can't do a pizza bigger than 28cm. Methinks that the Zio Ciro Mini is even smaller than your Ardore, so I doubt you could get much better
Prep Equipment / Re: Spiral Dough Hook for KitchenAid Artisan?
« Last post by kori on Today at 12:48:19 PM »
The Dough climbed up on mine a few times here and there. I'm not sure why but one thing I noticed when it does it, if I up the speed it then goes back to normal. I usually run it at the slower speeds though. Generally speaking I've had much more success with the new hook rather than that J/C Hook garbage that comes with the mixer. It saves me time and my dough has been coming out better. I guess there is a little trial and error from time to time but most I've spoken to are pleased with the product. :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:
Try what RHawthorne suggested a few posts back, give the hook a good spray with non-stick cooking spray, it really helps.
Sicilian Style / First go at "Sicilian"
« Last post by dcap11 on Today at 12:29:23 PM »
Normally do a thin crust neo-neopolitan but wanted to switch things up and go for a more bready pie.

Slipped while making my dough and overpoured my water so this dough ended up at 78% hydration instead of 70% 😢.  I think my recipe ended up as half poolish, .2% idy, 2.5% salt, 78% total hydration.  All KABF.  8 hours on the poolish, then probably 4 hours ferment with like 5-6 sets of stretch and folds to get some structure in the gloopy mess, and then a 1.5 hour rise in the pan.  Topped with parm, mozz, sauce in that order.

Loved the sauce I made. Blitzed up some canned diced tomatos with powdered garlic, oregano, and baking soda then reduced down to about half.  Was debating fresh basil but held off on it.

Overall was pretty tasty but I think due to the high hydration and too long a cook time, it was too crunchy of a base for my tastes.  The top 2/3 of the crust was soft and pillowy but then the bottom 1/3 was pure crunch.  There was no chewy anywhere in the crust so the contrast between soft and crunch was too jarring.

Loved how easy it was to make though. No bench flour, no launching, time to clean up while cooking, etc...

Can't wait to try again with lower hydration for a little less crunch and a little more chew.
Pizza Ovens / Re: Consolidated Halo Topic
« Last post by creggers on Today at 12:00:37 PM »

$299.99
from the pics It looks short ?  The description says countertop cart

HALO's now offering a stand for the V16 and tgeir pellet grill.

Looks really nice and sturdy. Plus it folds down for easy storage or transport. But I was not able to find any info on the dimensions and am wondering if it's tall enough.
Neapolitan Style / Re: Da Michele project in my Pizza Party oven
« Last post by Jackie Tran on Today at 11:18:52 AM »
Spectacular pies Chau!  Is pie #3 pushing the limit of topping to dough coverage?  A new variation of Neapolitan?

Thank you and it would seem so lol ;).  Most bakes I am the only one eating so I am topping them even more sparsley as to not be wasteful with ingredients.
Thanks! Going for those then  8) :D
Off-Topic Foods / Re: Sweets and Desserts
« Last post by 02ebz06 on Today at 10:42:38 AM »
noodle kugel

I don't know what it is, but it sure looks good.
Sauce Ingredients / Re: The Answer Is Five
« Last post by kori on Today at 10:28:17 AM »
Another data point - Massimo Nocerino says he adds "about 20 grams" of salt to a #10 can of crushed tomatoes, which comes out to 5.3 grams vs 800g.

maybe not a celebrity pizza guy, but his videos are informative from the perspective of a guy who makes his living making neapolitan pizza on the streets of london
I really enjoy his videos.
Neapolitan Style / Re: Wood dough tray
« Last post by Bill/SFNM on Today at 10:05:27 AM »
Not sure I'm understanding the workflow here. My typical 64% ferment these days is about 48 hours - bulk ferment in a plastic container for about 36 hours, then divide, scale, ball, and proof on wood for about 12 hours using Craig's soak and dust method on the wood for easy release (Thanks, Craig, for all the help!). Bottom is not hard, but dry enough to require minimal bench flour.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
wordpress