A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20
Cookbook Reviews / Re: Razzaís Dan Richer Cookbook (2021)
« Last post by DoouBall on December 05, 2021, 06:50:56 PM »
Book says 0.3%, 3 grams.

Yes I used 3 grams per the book. 0.3% is the correct amount in his formula.

On a separate note, I reached out to Dan over insta and he actually answered my question about hybrid doughs which was super cool of him.

He said that while I shouldn't need to add any IDY to his sourdough pizza recipes, if I want to do it, start with 0.05%.
Sauce Ingredients / Re: First Field crushed tomatoes?
« Last post by Pete-zza on December 05, 2021, 06:48:54 PM »
FWIW, I read recently that crushed tomatoes are more flavorful as they are picked at the peak of ripeness where whole tomatoes are picked underripe so that they will hold their shape in the can.
Hans,

Sometimes, calcium chloride is added to whole canned tomatoes to help the tomatoes keep their shape. I saw this today at the Food Network website:

Calcium chloride is often added as a firming agent, which limits the tomatoes' ability to break down during cooking.

Packers generally save their ripest, most attractively-colored specimens for use as whole, crushed and diced tomatoes. Lesser tomatoes are reserved for use in paste, puree or sauce.

Source: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/articles/canned-tomato-guide

Peter
« Last post by corkd on December 05, 2021, 06:47:49 PM »
FWIW, I read recently that crushed tomatoes are more flavorful as they are picked at the peak of ripeness where whole tomatoes are picked underripe so that they will hold their shape in the can.
That confirms my preference for crushed in almost all applications. Thank you for pointing that out.
« Last post by HansB on December 05, 2021, 06:24:39 PM »
Neapolitan Style / Re: My trip to Naples and back
« Last post by amolapizza on December 05, 2021, 06:22:23 PM »
I think that the reason that the bottom is cooked more than the top is because you have the lower thermostat put too high.  I still think that the best way to bake a napolitana in this oven (with a Saputo biscotto) is to set the upper to 400C and the lower to 300C for the preheat. Once the the upper chamber and the surface of the biscotto stabilizes at 400C, the bottom of the biscotto will be about 100C lower.

Before you start opening the dough ball set the upper to 500C and after a few minutes when you are ready to put the pizza in the oven, the stone will be at 460-470C, this will bake your pizza in about 70 seconds without turning (though don't make the pizza too big, the bigger it is the less heat the cornicione will get).  I'm at about 30 cm right now.

If this leaves your bottom too pale and too soft, then up the bottom thermostat in 25C steps until you find your liking..
« Last post by corkd on December 05, 2021, 05:44:33 PM »
For what is its worth, I found this description of how canning of tomatoes is achieved:

How canning works:

The tomatoes are picked at their ripest and processed immediately; most canning facilities are located near farms.

First, the skins are removed, either by steaming or a hot bath.

Next, the tomatoes go into cans along with salt and a filler, either tomato juice or puree. (Be aware added salt can bring up the sodium count in your recipe.)

Finally, the can is sealed, heated and held at temperature until the contents are sterile.

The sterilization process actually cooks the tomatoes right in the can.

Peter
Thank you Peter for filling in the gaps. At any rate, these tomatoes are worth a comparison to pastene, scalfani, et alÖ As I work through a case (free delivery!) one test will be using them to make Marcella Hazan sauce- onion + butter + tomato version. The original recipe calls for whole peeled tomatoes if I recall- but crushed will certainly do.
First field tomatoes featured in a post thanksgiving Sicilian:
« Last post by Pete-zza on December 05, 2021, 05:24:36 PM »
For what is its worth, I found this description of how canning of tomatoes is achieved:

How canning works:

The tomatoes are picked at their ripest and processed immediately; most canning facilities are located near farms.

First, the skins are removed, either by steaming or a hot bath.

Next, the tomatoes go into cans along with salt and a filler, either tomato juice or puree. (Be aware added salt can bring up the sodium count in your recipe.)

Finally, the can is sealed, heated and held at temperature until the contents are sterile.

The sterilization process actually cooks the tomatoes right in the can.

Peter

Dough Clinic / Re: adding salt too early??
« Last post by Pizza_Not_War on December 05, 2021, 05:16:43 PM »
E book on my library site, downloaded last night and plowed through pretty quick. Good for learning more than most people will want to know.

Probably cut my falling asleep time by a few minutes.
Looking for some guidance for a Xmas Gift that will be the most versatile in our small kitchen.  I Am hooked on Lloyd pans (own 2 sizes of Detroiters), but hubby wants Sicilian and Focaccia.  I like the Grandma pan 12" x 18" x 1" and its "sharp" corners, but he thinks the half sheet pan would be more versatile for what he likes. I am very much into presentations, so not sure what would be best.  Also have to consider can he make cookies in a Grandma pan?  Thanks for your help!
The half sheet panís rounded corners will be easier to clean. If you make many recipes other than pizza where you have to bake something in one of these pans, you should get the half sheet because thatís what every recipe will call for.

The color will have an impact. Both can cook cookies, but a darker pan will cook them a little faster.

Other than that I donít think the difference really matters.

I highly recommend getting a pan with a lid. I have the 14 x 14 lloyds grandma pan and lid. Makes it way easier to proof so you donít have to deal with plastic wrap. If their half sheet pans donít have lids and you decide to go that size, check out Nordic ware and vollrath. Iíve got a couple vollrath half sheet pans and their lid is much better than the lloyds grandma lid because it snaps on and extends upwards a couple inches. Dealing with a Sicilian pizza in the lloyds grandma pan and lid would be hard because the dough is so thick, you might still have to use plastic wrap. Or get the lloyds Sicilian pan.
American Style / Re: Pizza Hut Pan Pizza
« Last post by nickyr on December 05, 2021, 04:33:02 PM »
Nothing special. Just brush the dough with a little water in front of the cheese to help seal it, tuck it over, tightly, one inch or so at a time and pinch/press. This has to be done on the counter, before it gets in contact with the oil, obviously.

I folded in 4 with parchment paper between the folds so it wouldn't stick to itself. I probably was being overly cautious, but didn't want to risk it, since it was already stuffed.

Once in the oiled pan I gently rolled the filled crust a quarter turn inwards so the seam would be under the cheese and not in front of it. Because I rolled it to 17 inches, I had the wiggle room to do that. The fact I had plenty of dough helped tremendously. I couldn't have done that if I had just enough for a 14 inch pan.

Then, everything went into proofing.

Honestly, I was improvising as I went. I had never done a stuffed crust on a pan pizza before, just regular pizza stone pizzas. The fact it had to be transferred into an oil swimming pool provided interesting logistical challenges. I'm lucky it turned out as well as it did.

I'll take pics of the crust stuffing process next time.

Atheen
Cool thanks!
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20
wordpress