A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20
New York Style / Re: Gumbawill's N.Y. style sourdough saga 2019
« Last post by GumbaWill on Yesterday at 06:16:59 PM »
Really low on pizza supplies. I have one more dough ball earmarked for tomorrow. Two more frozen 8oz sauce, no grande cheese, no premium hard cheese. Very low on Sir Lancelot four too. Tonight's pie, I used a 16 oz. block of whole milk Galboni mozzarella sliced not grated. Not too bad at all.
Pizza Ovens / Re: Help me pick a new oven
« Last post by DoouBall on Yesterday at 05:53:50 PM »
FWIW, I haven't been too pleased with the second-generation Breville for Neapolitan. The Carbon bakes better Neapolitan, IMO. And Chau has been turning out some really great NYC pizzas in his Carbon. I've eaten several, and they were all first-rate. I still use the Breville for pan pizzas and roasted vegetables due to the precise top and bottom temp controls, but Carbon is my go-to for Neapolitan. And it is so easy to use, I hardly ever fire up the WFO anymore.

Bill, just curious if you're ever tried the Roccbox, and how do you feel the Carbon Oven compares to Roccbox? Thanks!
General Pizza Making / Re: Best way to prep garlic for NY pie
« Last post by Jon in Albany on Yesterday at 05:24:59 PM »
Never used the broiler, just the grill but probably would come out the same. Just don't overcook the shrimp or they will get tough.

Best... Steve
Thanks again. Already copied down the recipe. Haven't microplaned too much garlic, mostly cheese. Does a very nice job with ginger root too. Even frozen ginger.
« Last post by stevenfstein on Yesterday at 05:19:19 PM »
Thanks. These sound tasty.

Never used the broiler, just the grill but probably would come out the same. Just don't overcook the shrimp or they will get tough.

Best... Steve
Home Ovens / Re: Has anyone seen this? (Breville Smart Oven Pizzaiolo)
« Last post by flilow06 on Yesterday at 05:15:53 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I'm too afraid to try to launch without pp because I KNOW i'll make a huge mess and there will be NO dinner!   ;D

The best sized wooden peel I've found is this one, which is designed for the Breville at 11.5" wide.

https://pizzaresourcecenter.com/collections/accessories/products/sport-peel
Off-Topic Foods / Re: New waffle maker flex
« Last post by Quebert on Yesterday at 05:13:57 PM »
Here's the recipe if anyone wants to make them, while I haven't tested them there are also Golden Malted copy-cat recipes online if you don't have cheaper access to the mix. I definitely won't be ordering it from Amazon again. I'm sure there has to be a B&M or 2 that sell the Golden Malted, and it's one of those things I'm sure will be much cheaper than on Amazon.  If I could find it for $8-10 it would definitely be my go-to. It makes killer waffles.

INGREDIENTS:
*1 Stick (1/2 Cup)Melted butter
* 2 Cups Carbon's Golden Malted Flour (original)
* 2 Eggs (Separated)
* 2Tbsp Sugar
*Pinch of Salt
*1/2 Cup Whole Milk
*1Cup Buttermilk
*1 tsp vanilla Extract

RECIPE:
Combine all dry ingredients
Combine all wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
Add wet to dry and mix until just combined.
Beat egg whites until fluffy and fold into batter.
Cook as per the directions on your waffle maker.

NOTE: I've heard different things from different "chefs" about separating eggs and whipping the whites. I know it makes a difference when making pancakes, because they have so much room to grow and get fluffier.  But waffles can't expand due to the iron so some say doing it  for waffles is a pointless waste of time.  I did it because it's what the recipe says.
Dough Clinic / Re: wetter doughs knead time?
« Last post by Pizza_Not_War on Yesterday at 05:08:44 PM »
I mix 70 percent all the time. Looks like crap initially, come back to dough a few hours later and with a spatula I fold it a few times into a smooth mass.
« Last post by Jon in Albany on Yesterday at 05:08:24 PM »
Super easy and easy to double or triple recipe. We use a ton more garlic than called for. This time I took the garlic (microplaned) and mixed into the oil, then poured that on top of the shrimp and mixed. Feel free to use more or less of the ingredients, it is to your taste. I usually use a bit less oil.

Ingredients:

1 lbs. small shrimp
3 Tablespoons olive oil
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
⅔ cups fine unflavored bread crumbs.
teaspoon very finely chopped garlic
2 teaspoons finely chopped parsley
teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper
5 to 6 twists of the mill
lemon wedges

Directions:

Preheat broiler to its maximum setting. (The broiler must be heated at least 15 minutes before the shrimp are to be cooked.
Shell and devein the shrimp. Wash in cold water and pat thoroughly dry with paper towels.
Put the shrimp in a comfortable large mixing bowl. Add as much of the two oils (mixed in equal parts) and the bread crumbs as you need to obtain an even tight creamy coating on all the shrimp. (Do not add it all at once because it may not be necessary, but if you are working with very small shrimp, you may need even more. In that case, always use 1 part olive oil to 1 part, vegetable oil. When the shrimp are well coated, add the chopped garlic, parsley, salt, and pepper and mix well. Allow the shrimp to steep in marinade for at least 20 minutes at room temperature. Have ready some flat, double-edged skewers. Skewer the shrimp lengthwise.
5 or more shrimp per brochette, depending upon the size. As you skewer each shrimp, curl and bend one end inward so that the skewer go through the shrimp at three points. This is to make sure the shrimp won't slip as you turn the skewer.
These shrimp require brisk, rapid cooking. Wait until the grill has been on for 15 minutes. Cook the shrimp no more than 3 minutes on one side and 2 minutes on the other, and even less if the shrimp are very small. Each side is done as soon as a crisp golden crust form. Serve hot on skewers with lemon on the side.
Thanks. These sound tasty.
Off-Topic Foods / New waffle maker flex
« Last post by Quebert on Yesterday at 05:07:51 PM »
I see threads on here from people with crazy nice custom hand built pizza ovens that blow my mind. I'm a solid 10 years away from being able to flex like that, if I'm lucky lol.  A thread about my new Roccbox would be pretty damn hohum next to a brick oven that was imported directly from Naples.  On a MUCH smaller scale, I got a new waffle maker, but as far as waffle makers go this one would almost be the waffle equivalent of a nice pizza oven. Well, maybe that's a big exaggeration, but this sucker's nice.  I like waffles, don't love them though so I really had no business buying a $279 waffle maker. Well, except I'm a 'Merican and got approved for 0% financing. So I thought "oh, a new waffle iron would be nice" I found a nice $79 one, but the minimum for financing was $100. So the logical thing to do was find the most expensive one they sold and order it.  Here are some pics.

I stupidly only took pics of the 1st batch, while they came out looking pretty nice, the 2nd looked almost perfect.  I've owned maybe 10 different waffle irons over the years, and never had one that got the color so uniform. The 2nd batch almost looked photoshopped, there the entire face of the waffle was the same color, and there were no lighter spots. Visually this thing makes flawless waffles, well if your recipe's on point.  I used the Belgian setting with the color darkness set to default, which is right in the middle.  I'm sure with some tweaking I could get them an even better color, the uniformity was really something else though. I'l try all 1 all the way light and 1 all the way dark next time to see how they come out

With that said, $279+tax for a waffle maker's a weeeee bit damn expensive, imho this should be at most $199. Which would still make it of the most expensive waffle makers out there. My lady hates when I buy kitchen gadgets because I always go overboard. We usually have a "discussion" but she didn't "discuss" anything with me here.  She's a lot smarter to brands than she was a few years ago. So when she saw the Breville box she didn't have to ask her usual "So, how much did it cost?"  But she still Googled it and was surprised how much it was, even for Breville.  She wasn't amused that I told her I actually went cheaper and explained there was an All-Clad one I was ready to buy that was $20 more. I guess it doesn't help things that she's not really a fan of waffles. With that said, I made a batch from the copy-cat Disney World waffle recipe. She said they were "pretty good"  They were outstanding, super crunchy on the outside, and soft and fluffy on the inside. I used the Carbon Golden Malted waffle mix (what Disney uses) which cost me $29 shipped off amazon.  I think the can will make about 14 waffles, so around $2 each. For home made that's really expensive lol.  For $29 with some regular flour and eggs and I could probably make 200 waffles lol. It's usual Breville quality, very heavy, and will probably last me forever. And I'm going to have to start making waffles much more regularly so I can show her I didn't waste $310 bucks on it.

Breville also makes a 2 slice version that's only $219, but for whatever reason, I needed the one that makes 4. Oh yeah, around the outer lip's a moat that catches the excess batter and cooks it into delicious waffle sticks.  I told my lady this was a neat feature no other waffle maker has. So I can't spill batter everywhere when I make waffles (I always do lol) both are big selling points - but she wasn't impressed. I'm literally going to make just waffle sticks with it in a few days.

I STUPIDLY tried to make her stop thinking about the waffle maker by bringing up something she loves.

"I'm making pizzas tomorrow night, you love pizzas"
"oh, are you gonna use the NEW oven you bought, even though you already have one?"

OPPSIES :(

« Last post by stevenfstein on Yesterday at 05:05:12 PM »
I'd take some details on that Adriatic garlic shrimp recipe if you get a chance.

Super easy and easy to double or triple recipe. We use a ton more garlic than called for. This time I took the garlic (microplaned) and mixed into the oil, then poured that on top of the shrimp and mixed. Feel free to use more or less of the ingredients, it is to your taste. I usually use a bit less oil.

Ingredients:

1 lbs. small shrimp
3 Tablespoons olive oil
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
⅔ cups fine unflavored bread crumbs.
teaspoon very finely chopped garlic
2 teaspoons finely chopped parsley
teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper
5 to 6 twists of the mill
lemon wedges

Directions:

Preheat broiler to its maximum setting. (The broiler must be heated at least 15 minutes before the shrimp are to be cooked.
Shell and devein the shrimp. Wash in cold water and pat thoroughly dry with paper towels.
Put the shrimp in a comfortable large mixing bowl. Add as much of the two oils (mixed in equal parts) and the bread crumbs as you need to obtain an even tight creamy coating on all the shrimp. (Do not add it all at once because it may not be necessary, but if you are working with very small shrimp, you may need even more. In that case, always use 1 part olive oil to 1 part, vegetable oil. When the shrimp are well coated, add the chopped garlic, parsley, salt, and pepper and mix well. Allow the shrimp to steep in marinade for at least 20 minutes at room temperature. Have ready some flat, double-edged skewers. Skewer the shrimp lengthwise.
5 or more shrimp per brochette, depending upon the size. As you skewer each shrimp, curl and bend one end inward so that the skewer go through the shrimp at three points. This is to make sure the shrimp won't slip as you turn the skewer.
These shrimp require brisk, rapid cooking. Wait until the grill has been on for 15 minutes. Cook the shrimp no more than 3 minutes on one side and 2 minutes on the other, and even less if the shrimp are very small. Each side is done as soon as a crisp golden crust form. Serve hot on skewers with lemon on the side.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20
wordpress