A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: It's thin, crispy, tender....same techniques as a cracker, but made for the home  (Read 2054 times)

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
Monkeyboy
Nice looking pizza!  I think the bottom says it all.  My question for you is this:  are you a fan of classical laminated cracker crusts (which usually have a very low hydration rate), and if so how does the pizza you just made compare?  Thanks for any input you can give me

John

Offline Monkeyboy

• I Love Pizza!
Monkeyboy
Nice looking pizza!  I think the bottom says it all.  My question for you is this:  are you a fan of classical laminated cracker crusts (which usually have a very low hydration rate), and if so how does the pizza you just made compare?  Thanks for any input you can give me

John

I have not made enough cracker crusts to give a fair comparison.  Past attempt were like cardboard.   
First time using this lamination technique - it really is super simple when it comes time to cook.  Might try 3 sheets vs 4 and maybe docking it a bit.  But yes, I'd make this again and again.

Offline Monkeyboy

• I Love Pizza!
Another try with this style.  Same procedure but used 100% All Trumps flour.   And used a propane pizza oven / higher temps - to see the effect.

Pepperoni one was docked prior to baking - you can see the dough did not bubble up as much.
Sausage one, I put the sauce on top and did not dock it.  Edges bubbled up and pushed ingredients to the center.  The sauce on top got a little watery.

Launched when the floor was 725-750 degrees, top burner on low.  Total cook time was just under 2 minutes.

I liked that I got some well done edges, BUT...the crust middle / bottom was a bit gummy.  I think this style needed a lower temp ->longer bake time.

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
Monkeyboy
May I humbly offer you a couple of thoughts.  All pizzas are not created the same.  In a commercial operation, every aspect of the dough making operation is monitored as to create as much uniformity as one can.  Thus the correct temperature to bake the perfect pie stays as close to a "norm" as possible.  Having said that, the perfect laminated cracker has only one perfect bake temperature.  Sometimes we blame the crust, when in reality, the crust was fine, the baking temperature was way off.  The goal is to have the the top and the bottom finish at exactly the same time......that is the perfect crust

john

Offline Monkeyboy

• I Love Pizza!
No doubt John...

I had high hopes (no science behind it) that higher heat might give even crispier crust results...the opposite was true.  Agree - that different styles require different 'treatment'

Offline SamBam

• I Love Pizza!
Dear Fazzari,
I tried your recipe 2 days ago-it was the bomb! Sorry, no pics-I ate the evidence. It really was a thin crust, both crunchy and delicious.
I used bread flour and peanut oil. Sauce was a white made with cream, mozz, and cream cheese. Toppings were full fat mozz and hormel pepperoni.
Thanks again, this recipe is a winner!
Sam

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
Excellent, good to hear

john

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
John, I gave this a go and tried to follow your formula and workflow except I accidentally overshot the oil by 5g. I think it worked anyway!
Carl

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
Sodface
The secret to this pizza is the technique..   I think you nailed it!!

John

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
I decided to try a head to head comparison between a dough made by using the directions of this thread and a skin made at the restaurant (38% hydration, mixed in 140 quart Hobart for 6 minutes, thinned on a Rondo sheeter.  My homemade skin was placed in freezer for 1 hour after formation, and then placed in the fridge for 43 hours.

In the following photos, the homemade skin is on the left.  Both pizzas were baked in a 550 degree oven.

John

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
The following are pictures of the pizza made from the homemade skin.

John

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
The following are pictures of the pizza made with the commercially made skin.

John

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
My conclusion for this day on these 2 pizzas is:

The best looking pizza was the commercially made one (it had real nice oven spring around the outside edge)
Both pizzas were delicious.
The handmade pizza was a little more tender.

Having said that, I conclude that raising the hydration doesn't affect the quality of this pizza at all.  Notice that the sausage was put on raw and cooked just fine.  A poor laminated cracker crust will not allow the transfer of heat from the bottom to the top.  This transfer of heat is what cooks the raw meats and makes pizza skins tender.
Also know that the last picture of each pizza (the one where I'm holding a slice in my hand) was taken 2.5 hours after the pizzas were baked.  These pizzas maintain not only their crispness, but their tenderness as time passes.

I just don't think this can be made any easier...just my humble opinion

John

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
John,

Can you describe the sauce you use on these? What size are those, like 10-12"? Semolina underneath? They look great and I like the gooey melt.
Carl

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
Sodface
Those are 10" pizzas.  The sauce is made from Stanislaus 7 11s.  We use cornmeal to slide pizzas off of our peels.  Cheese is low moisture mozzarella

john

Offline CookingFiend

• I Love Pizza!
I actually used my Atlas pasta roller to sheet the dough.  Went to setting '6'.  stacked them, then used a rolling pin to shape into a rectangle.....
Hi.  Did you used the same pasta roller setting '6' for both your 4 dough sheets and your final laminated dough or were the 4 dough sheets rolled thinner than for the final laminated sheet?  I've made pasta roller sheets for thin pizza crusts but haven't yet attempted laminating them.
-mickey

Offline CookingFiend

• I Love Pizza!
Another attempt at making this pizza as easy as I can for the home baker.

flour    100
water     50
salt         2.5
sugar      2
oil           4
yeast       .75

I've upped the hydration from 34% (restaurant setting) to 50%.  This eases the lamination immensely.  I've also changed the procedure for mixing the dough, the main change is using hot tap water.

For this experiment, I am making a 24 ounce piece of dough.  This day, my tap water is 153 degrees.  I add 7.5 ounces of 153 degree water to my KA bowl, and then add 15.1 ounces of flour, .4 ounces of salt,
.3 ounces of sugar, .6 ounces of oil (I add the oil now as this dough won't mix long enough to incorporate the oil if added later).  I turn on the mixer for about 30 seconds to gather the ingredients, and then add .10 ounce of yeast to the dough (this way the yeast won't get too hot).

This dough mixed 2 minutes 25 seconds on speed 1.  (Picture below)   Mixing is all done

Divided the doughs into 4 six ounce dough balls, rounded and placed in a freezer bag (the dough was 95 degrees).  Let the dough set at room temperature for 45 minutes.
After 45 minutes, I sheeted each of the dough balls into a very thin disk (very, very easy at this hydration and temperature).  This took all of 60 seconds.

I then stacked the 4 sheets on top of each other and rolled a nice thin sheet.  Again this is simple at this hydration.

I then cut out 4 skins, stack them between parchment, place in a freezer bag and place in freezer

John
Hi John.  What kind of flour do you recommend?
-mickey

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
I think you should use whatever flour you have on hand.  I've experimented with everything from Mondako to All Trumps to Caputo.....it all works, maybe the "oo" being my least favorite.

John

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
Hi.  Did you used the same pasta roller setting '6' for both your 4 dough sheets and your final laminated dough or were the 4 dough sheets rolled thinner than for the final laminated sheet?  I've made pasta roller sheets for thin pizza crusts but haven't yet attempted laminating them.

The thickness of the 4 dough sheets is not that critical....it's the thickness of the laminated sheets that really matter.  With a pasta rolling machine you should be able to experiment to find the best thickness for this

John

wordpress