A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Best way to prep garlic for NY pie  (Read 416 times)

Offline stevenfstein

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Best way to prep garlic for NY pie
« on: October 13, 2021, 03:39:07 PM »
I have been slicing thin shavings and sautéing them under low heat in olive oil until they turn very soft, similar to roasted. I then add the garlic and some of the oil to the sauce and spread on the pie. Is that the best way to do it? Do some of you just throw raw garlic on? Other options? Much appreciated.

Best... Steve

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Re: Best way to prep garlic for NY pie
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 03:44:42 PM »
Sometimes I crush raw and add to sauce, other times roast whole and spread on as topping.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 04:44:06 PM »
Try using a microplane and mix the fine shreds right into the cheese, toss and put on pizza and bake! Fills the house with that wonderful smell. Fresh new garlic is best for this way!😋
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 12:50:07 PM »
I use an adjustable truffle slicer.  I can slice paper thin or go as thick as one desires.  Great for everything, not just pizza.  It's razor sharp!!!

Offline ira

• I try to cook Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 02:08:41 PM »
Never seen truffle slicer mentioned before, but it's the best for slicing garlic. I just drool over the really good ones that cost more than my mind can grasp.

Ira

Offline stevenfstein

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 12:39:11 PM »
Try using a microplane and mix the fine shreds right into the cheese, toss and put on pizza and bake! Fills the house with that wonderful smell. Fresh new garlic is best for this way!😋

tried the microplane on an adriatic garlic shrimp recipe I've made forever on the grill. Great smell (of course) but my wife and I both said it was the best I've done. Breading had a different consistency, more on the creamy crispy side. Can't wait to try on my pies.
Thanks... Steve

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 12:46:51 PM »
tried the microplane on an adriatic garlic shrimp recipe I've made forever on the grill. Great smell (of course) but my wife and I both said it was the best I've done. Breading had a different consistency, more on the creamy crispy side. Can't wait to try on my pies.
Thanks... Steve
I'd take some details on that Adriatic garlic shrimp recipe if you get a chance.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2021, 12:58:10 PM »
Like this:
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline stevenfstein

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2021, 05:05:12 PM »
I'd take some details on that Adriatic garlic shrimp recipe if you get a chance.

Super easy and easy to double or triple recipe. We use a ton more garlic than called for. This time I took the garlic (microplaned) and mixed into the oil, then poured that on top of the shrimp and mixed. Feel free to use more or less of the ingredients, it is to your taste. I usually use a bit less oil.

Ingredients:

1½ lbs. small shrimp
3½ Tablespoons olive oil
3½ Tablespoons vegetable oil
⅔ cups fine unflavored bread crumbs.
½ teaspoon very finely chopped garlic
2 teaspoons finely chopped parsley
¾ teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper
5 to 6 twists of the mill
lemon wedges

Directions:

Preheat broiler to its maximum setting. (The broiler must be heated at least 15 minutes before the shrimp are to be cooked.
Shell and devein the shrimp. Wash in cold water and pat thoroughly dry with paper towels.
Put the shrimp in a comfortable large mixing bowl. Add as much of the two oils (mixed in equal parts) and the bread crumbs as you need to obtain an even tight creamy coating on all the shrimp. (Do not add it all at once because it may not be necessary, but if you are working with very small shrimp, you may need even more. In that case, always use 1 part olive oil to 1 part, vegetable oil. When the shrimp are well coated, add the chopped garlic, parsley, salt, and pepper and mix well. Allow the shrimp to steep in marinade for at least 20 minutes at room temperature. Have ready some flat, double-edged skewers. Skewer the shrimp lengthwise.
5 or more shrimp per brochette, depending upon the size. As you skewer each shrimp, curl and bend one end inward so that the skewer go through the shrimp at three points. This is to make sure the shrimp won't slip as you turn the skewer.
These shrimp require brisk, rapid cooking. Wait until the grill has been on for 15 minutes. Cook the shrimp no more than 3 minutes on one side and 2 minutes on the other, and even less if the shrimp are very small. Each side is done as soon as a crisp golden crust form. Serve hot on skewers with lemon on the side.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2021, 05:08:24 PM »
Super easy and easy to double or triple recipe. We use a ton more garlic than called for. This time I took the garlic (microplaned) and mixed into the oil, then poured that on top of the shrimp and mixed. Feel free to use more or less of the ingredients, it is to your taste. I usually use a bit less oil.

Ingredients:

1½ lbs. small shrimp
3½ Tablespoons olive oil
3½ Tablespoons vegetable oil
⅔ cups fine unflavored bread crumbs.
½ teaspoon very finely chopped garlic
2 teaspoons finely chopped parsley
¾ teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper
5 to 6 twists of the mill
lemon wedges

Directions:

Preheat broiler to its maximum setting. (The broiler must be heated at least 15 minutes before the shrimp are to be cooked.
Shell and devein the shrimp. Wash in cold water and pat thoroughly dry with paper towels.
Put the shrimp in a comfortable large mixing bowl. Add as much of the two oils (mixed in equal parts) and the bread crumbs as you need to obtain an even tight creamy coating on all the shrimp. (Do not add it all at once because it may not be necessary, but if you are working with very small shrimp, you may need even more. In that case, always use 1 part olive oil to 1 part, vegetable oil. When the shrimp are well coated, add the chopped garlic, parsley, salt, and pepper and mix well. Allow the shrimp to steep in marinade for at least 20 minutes at room temperature. Have ready some flat, double-edged skewers. Skewer the shrimp lengthwise.
5 or more shrimp per brochette, depending upon the size. As you skewer each shrimp, curl and bend one end inward so that the skewer go through the shrimp at three points. This is to make sure the shrimp won't slip as you turn the skewer.
These shrimp require brisk, rapid cooking. Wait until the grill has been on for 15 minutes. Cook the shrimp no more than 3 minutes on one side and 2 minutes on the other, and even less if the shrimp are very small. Each side is done as soon as a crisp golden crust form. Serve hot on skewers with lemon on the side.
Thanks. These sound tasty.

Offline stevenfstein

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2021, 05:19:19 PM »
Thanks. These sound tasty.

Never used the broiler, just the grill but probably would come out the same. Just don't overcook the shrimp or they will get tough.

Best... Steve

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2021, 05:24:59 PM »
Never used the broiler, just the grill but probably would come out the same. Just don't overcook the shrimp or they will get tough.

Best... Steve
Thanks again. Already copied down the recipe. Haven't microplaned too much garlic, mostly cheese. Does a very nice job with ginger root too. Even frozen ginger.

Offline lennyk

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2021, 09:42:45 AM »
i microwave in olive oil for 20secs
takes the edge off

Offline stevenfstein

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2021, 01:06:21 PM »
i microwave in olive oil for 20secs
takes the edge off

Sliced, hand chopped or through a garlic press?

Offline CaptnChris

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2021, 01:30:14 PM »
I put peeled raw cloves in a blender with a small amount of olive oil. I have to make a lot to make it work so I take some off the top and use the bulk to make my pizza sauce in the same blender.  I squirt the oil and garlic on the pizza with a cone tipped ketchup or mustard bottle.  It cooks with the pizza.

Offline Itsamarmot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2021, 04:41:39 PM »
I have a butchers knife which is great for pounding the garlic cloves first and makes mincing them super easy. Then its into the sauce or on the pie raw.

Offline Monkeyboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2021, 09:04:38 AM »
I typically mince garlic by knife and cover it in some olive oil.  I then use the garlic oil to rub on my stretched dough before laying down sauce/cheese.  Then I'll use the chopped garlic in oil as a topping as well.

It does come out a bit different vs raw garlic directly on the pie.

I never got in the habit of putting garlic in my sauce.

Sometimes I'll take the minced garlic in oil and work it into a paste - add that to ricotta - then on pizza.

I try not to keep chopped garlic/oil around for longer than a few days.

wordpress