A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Codes on Cans  (Read 283 times)

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Codes on Cans
« on: April 29, 2022, 11:20:06 AM »
 Who's got the inside scoop on how to decipher the codes on cans of tomatoes? I've seen member jsaras chime in on this topic in the past, but I can't find much else around here or on the net with any real depth. How do you read the codes? What do they mean? Is there more than one system of codification? Does every manufacturer have their own special code?
 Last night I bought a can of Cento San Marzanos because I heard from another member that their latest batch is excellent. I've attached photos below. I can see that 'BBE 08/25' obviously must mean 'best by' that date, and therefore it's probably from a really fresh batch. But what about the rest? Inquiring minds want to know!
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Online 9slicePie

Re: Codes on Cans
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2022, 11:22:43 AM »
In for answers.

Offline FoodSim

• Supporting Member
  • Maillard Reactionary
    • FoodSim Tools
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2022, 11:26:49 AM »
Is there more than one system of codification? Does every manufacturer have their own special code?

Yes.

Last night I bought a can of Cento San Marzanos because I heard from another member that their latest batch is excellent. I've attached photos below. I can see that 'BBE 08/25' obviously must mean 'best by' that date, and therefore it's probably from a really fresh batch. But what about the rest? Inquiring minds want to know!

https://www.cento.com/brands/cento/find-my-field.php
The yeast flies south in November.

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 12:06:41 PM »
Yes.

https://www.cento.com/brands/cento/find-my-field.php
Thanks, man! I totally forgot that was on the can. Their system is most likely not the same as it is with US manufacturers, and I still want to know more about that, but this is about as good as I could ask for.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress