Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by AsaPhelps on 29 Oct 2017
  • Hey all,

Been searching around and couldn't find an answer to this (found one very old thread where someone mentioned the same concern I have but there was no actual answer).  Anyways, apologies if this is a dumb question! I've been going through different pepperonis trying them out, and just ordered an Ezzo pepperoni stick from Pennmac.  It's supposed to be in a natural casing, however, there is printing all over the casing. Does anyone know if the pepperoni is just mislabeled on the Pennmac site, or if Ezzo is using some sort of edible inks on their casing (which would seem odd to me)?  The casing is definitely not shrinkwrap plastic or anything like that, but not sure if it's the natural collagen kind.

Here is the link to the Pennmac site:
    http://www.pennmac.com/items/3204//ezzo-pepperoni-stick-spicy-natural-casing

Attached is a closeup of the printing on the casing.  If anyone has any insight, please let me know, thanks in advance!!
  • #2 by Jon in Albany on 29 Oct 2017
  • The link says natural casing, but the description at the bottom says:

22 INCH LONG STICK, WEIGHS APPROXIMATELY 1.40 LB, COLLAGEN CASING

Their caps, not mine. I'd cut it. I think all of that with the writing will peel off.
  • #3 by AsaPhelps on 29 Oct 2017
  • Yeah it peels off easily enough, that's the way I was leaning, your response just confirmed it, thanks for the reply!  I have some of Ezzo's 38mm ronis that cup/char (also sourced from Pennmac), so maybe I'll just do a blend of both on the pie.

It's just weird since it's listed as natural and also says collagen, didn't know if they we're using some fancy edible ink or something like that.  Further confusing things, the Ezzo website says their collagen cased products are the edible kind.  However when looking at Ezzo's website, there doesn't appear to be a collagen-cased version matching the diameter of the stick pepperoni Pennmac shipped out.

http://ezzo.com/products.html

Just cut a slice and measured, it's right around 40/41mm in diameter, which would seem to match up to Ezzo's fibrous-cased version of the GiAntonio.

In conclusion, I'm taking the casing off, gonna be awesome anyways!
  • #4 by Jon in Albany on 29 Oct 2017
  • Hope you enjoy it. Their products are on my to-try list.
  • #5 by thezaman on 29 Oct 2017
  •  you got he wrong product. they make 38mm that cups and chars. if you want i can send you some. just wholesale and shipping. pepperoni doesn't need refrigeration so it will get to you fine. it is really good.  pm if you want some. 
  • #6 by crawsdaddy on 09 Jan 2018
  • you got he wrong product. they make 38mm that cups and chars. if you want i can send you some. just wholesale and shipping. pepperoni doesn't need refrigeration so it will get to you fine. it is really good.  pm if you want some.

Does what you purchase come in a stick or is it precut?
  • #7 by thezaman on 11 Jan 2018
  • precut
  • #8 by AsaPhelps on 11 Jan 2018
  • precut

Hey all, just to update this thread: it was indeed originally listed incorrectly on Pennmac, I contacted them and they fixed it to now list the artificial casing. (http://www.pennmac.com/items/3204//ezzo-pepperoni-stick-spicy-artificial-casing).

Also spoke with Ezzo, who said (regarding the above Pennmac linked pepperoni stick): "The casing should be removed. Itís all food safe ink (sugars and such) the casing is natural fibers but itís kinda like chewing gum with the wrapper still in it. It wonít hurt you it just gets on the way."

Ezzo also has the 38mm GiAntonio and the Supreme Special natural collagen casing roni, both cup, the GiAntonio crisps up brown, whereas the Supreme Special chars black.  Pennmac does carry (and I've ordered from them) the 38mm precut GiAntonio, they're quite tasty!
  • #9 by Dangerous Salumi on 12 Jan 2018
  • Its interesting why some pepperoni cups and some doesn't.
    Any idea why that is?
  • #10 by HBolte on 12 Jan 2018
  • I think it's because the casing shrinks more than the pepperoni.
  • #11 by norcoscia on 12 Jan 2018
  • If you do a search on this I think it has been discussed many times - if my memory serves me right it is primarily the casing material and also the slice thickness - I would imagine the fat content also plays a part but I could be wrong about that.
  • #12 by Jon in Albany on 12 Jan 2018
  • #13 by Dangerous Salumi on 12 Jan 2018
  • This is a good write up on pepperoni curl.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/2012/12/the-pizza-lab-why-does-pepperoni-curl.html

Ok thanks. Good stuff here. Serious Eats is one of my "go to " sites for cooking.
  • #14 by Essen1 on 14 Jan 2018
  • I ordered two pounds of Ezzo from Pennmac not too long ago and am down to one pound as of today.

I wish I could say I'm impressed with Ezzo or that it blew me away in terms of flavor.

It cups and chars nicely but flavor-wise I find it lacking. There's only a slight hint of spiciness, it is a tad on the overly salty side and is very stingy in releasing those tasty oils into the cupped pepperoni during the bake, which...is a good thing for people watching their weight or arteries for that matter, but for people who like the classic, greasy pepperoni pie it might pose a problem.

I'll stick with the Buffalo cup 'n char pepperoni from Battistoni Meats for now. Best pepperoni I have tested so far. A close second is the cupping pepperoni from Burke's "Swiss American Sausage" label.

Both are excellent.

• #15 by crawsdaddy on 15 Jan 2018
  • #16 by crawsdaddy on 15 Jan 2018
  • I ordered two pounds of Ezzo from Pennmac not too long ago and am down to one pound as of today.

I wish I could say I'm impressed with Ezzo or that it blew me away in terms of flavor.

It cups and chars nicely but flavor-wise I find it lacking. There's only a slight hint of spiciness, it is a tad on the overly salty side and is very stingy in releasing those tasty oils into the cupped pepperoni during the bake, which...is a good thing for people watching their weight or arteries for that matter, but for people who like the classic, greasy pepperoni pie it might pose a problem.

I'll stick with the Buffalo cup 'n char pepperoni from Battistoni Meats for now. Best pepperoni I have tested so far. A close second is the cupping pepperoni from Burke's "Swiss American Sausage" label.

Both are excellent. 

Have you tried Di Bruno Bros? Good but really expensive.
  • #17 by Essen1 on 15 Jan 2018

• Have you tried Di Bruno Bros? Good but really expensive.

Never heard of them. Will check it out. Thanks for the tip.  :)
Pages:
Actions