A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My journey into Neapolitan pizza  (Read 282 times)

Offline BrianM

• This is not the user you are looking for......
My journey into Neapolitan pizza
« on: January 12, 2018, 11:49:21 AM »
Normally I'm an American style (Mellow Mushroom clone) pizza guy, got a little itch for NY style after a trip there a couple years back so that's tossed into the rotation now and again too.  Well, had a wedding to attend in Italy this past September which had me staying 2 nights in Naples, 3 meals later and I've an inclination to try my hand.

The biggest delay was waiting to see if I'd get some sort of Pizza gift for Christmas...  I didn't and thus bought the "PizzaQue" kettle grill kit.  Yes, I know it's not ideal and a cheap entry, but it's better than the oven which is limited to 550.  Besides, I've no idea how often I'll be doing this and pizza/bread products are a rare treat in my diet.  Gotta keep the wife happy with my physique ;)  Anyway.... started digging around the forum, trying to get a handle on my plan of attack.  Found some Anna 00 and Cento tomatoes nearby, made my own mozzarella and have basil from my garden (sadly frozen, still better than fresh from the store)....

The dough seems really stiff to me at the following:

300g 00 Anna
180g water
8g salt
2g ADY (I know, but like I said bread/pizza is a treat that comes but once every 6~8 weeks and culture needs too much attention for that little use, nevermind that I don't need the temptation)

But I let it proof now ~42 hours and have about 6 more till dinner. 

Cheers!

Offline BrianM

• This is not the user you are looking for......
Re: My journey into Neapolitan pizza
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 07:17:14 PM »
So, it could have been a worse First, but there's lots of room for improvement. 

First issue, don't try to use a kettle grill when a cold front comes in and temps are about 50F.  I never saw more than about where I expect 600F would be found and I gave up "cooking" at the 10 minute mark (sauce was bubbling by then).

Second issue...  my first attempt at home made mozzarella didn't melt.   :-D  Don't mix "Firsts" (tasted good, but I clearly messed something up)

Third issue...  and the one You, dear reader, can help with.  The crust didn't brown (temps, got it, I'll try again when it's 70F or hotter outside) and it was pretty darn tough.  Tasted fine, looked like it had great structure, just very hard/tough.  Not crispy like a cracker, though it had a crispy layer.  I don't remember the several pizzas I had in Naples being like this... is it Just heat?

And...  photos   ;D

Online yarbrough462

• An American in Italy
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 02:08:45 AM »
It's probably the lack of heat that prevented browning and made it tough. This style is designed to be cooked at a really high heat.  It isn't good cooked at lower temps and the issues you had are usually indicative of that.  If that is an un-malted flour, you may want to consider adding sugar or using a domestic flour such as King Arthur bread flour. 

Offline Zymurgist

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 08:33:18 PM »
So, it could have been a worse First, but there's lots of room for improvement. 

First issue, don't try to use a kettle grill when a cold front comes in and temps are about 50F.  I never saw more than about where I expect 600F would be found and I gave up "cooking" at the 10 minute mark (sauce was bubbling by then).

Second issue...  my first attempt at home made mozzarella didn't melt.   :-D  Don't mix "Firsts" (tasted good, but I clearly messed something up)

Third issue...  and the one You, dear reader, can help with.  The crust didn't brown (temps, got it, I'll try again when it's 70F or hotter outside) and it was pretty darn tough.  Tasted fine, looked like it had great structure, just very hard/tough.  Not crispy like a cracker, though it had a crispy layer.  I don't remember the several pizzas I had in Naples being like this... is it Just heat?

And...  photos   ;D

Pretty much yeah... itís likely the heat. I use the Anna flour and it does brown well at higher temperatures.

Good luck with your next pies!

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 09:11:14 PM »
Brian....I don't know if this will help but I tried some AnnA not long ago but at higher hydration (65%) and really liked it. Like the others said your temp was probably low.....and my pies aren't really neapolitan....but here ya go....

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=34858.msg509113#msg509113
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 09:17:39 PM by CaptBob »
Bob

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress