Pages:
Actions
  • #21 by TXCraig1 on 08 Jan 2012
  • Another Steak:

- 14 ounce grass-fed Rib Eye, pan-broiled as previously described;
    - Topped with a Beurre Rouge, which sounds fancy enough, but is really just a simple, but delicious, sauce made by deglazing the pan the steak was cooked in with shallots, red wine, butter, and parsley;
    - Paired with a 2008 Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon in homage to Craig and Norma from their recent pizza-fanatics trip to to NYC  ;D  

Adam

Those steaks look awesome Adam.

I like the 2008 Jadot Volnay as well. We had an absolutely over-the-top 2009 Burgundy barrel sample tasting Friday night. There are some fine wines in that vintage for sure too.

Craig
  • #22 by Phar Lap on 08 Jan 2012
  • Craig,

Wow...looks fantastic!  

Do you have a wine cellar in your home?
    • Phar Lap
  • #23 by Trinity on 09 Jan 2012
  • Can you buy beer on Sunday in PA?
  • #24 by norma427 on 09 Jan 2012

Trinity,

You can buy beer to take out on Sundays, but it has to be from a restaurant or pizzeria that sells food and you are only allowed to buy a certain amount at one time. No beer distributors or liquors store are open Sundays, at least around my area of Pa.  The liquor stores in Pa. are run by the state.  Supermarkets in our area are not allowed to sell beer or other liquors.  I am not sure how the laws pertain if you go to a winery or a place like the Renaissance Faire on a Sunday. I am not sure, but think around the Phila. area there are some places that are more lenient, or might be changing. These are the strange laws in Pa., called Blue laws, for selling liquor.
     http://www.examiner.com/libertarian-in-philadelphia/want-draconian-beer-and-liquor-laws-come-to-pennsylvania

This is the Mount Hope Wine Shop at the Pa. Renaissance Faire on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mount-Hope-Wine-Shop/78520967507  I think they are allowed to sell wine on Sundays.

I can't keep up with all these laws in Pa.  :-D

Norma 
  • #25 by Hdale85 on 10 Jan 2012
  • Actually where I was in PA supermarkets could sell Wine and Beer but not liquor or mixed drinks. Many stores have beer and you can buy it on Sunday, but you can't buy wine or liquor on Sunday. Many of the stores put up these ropes on that side of the isle.

It seems to vary greatly depending on county, location, and so forth.
  • #26 by Trinity on 17 Jan 2012
  • Well if I have to go to PA I'll BYOB... :-D
  • #27 by Trinity on 17 Jan 2012
  • #28 by Trinity on 17 Jan 2012
  • #29 by Trinity on 17 Jan 2012
  • And the last two pics, (had to make smaller) :(
  • #30 by Cass on 17 Jan 2012
    Yes.  A few years back distributors were given the option to purchase a 12:00 - 5:00 Sunday sales permit.  Just recently those hours have changed to 9:00 - 9:00.  Beer sales in supermarkets just started in the past year or so, but it's six and 12 packs only, and in a roped off section where food also has to be sold.

Quote from: norma427
    I can't keep up with all these laws in Pa.  :-D
    Love the liquor control board........ ::)

but you can't buy wine or liquor on Sunday.
    You can, but only "premium" liquor stores are open 12:00 - 5:00 on Sunday.

Also.....JMHO, but a multi quote function is a wonderful thing.    :)
  • #31 by Hdale85 on 17 Jan 2012
  • In Pittsburgh the state stores are closed on Sunday from what I recall. So no wine or liquor on Sunday at all.
  • #32 by Cass on 17 Jan 2012
  • In Pittsburgh the state stores are closed on Sunday from what I recall. So no wine or liquor on Sunday at all.
    Click
  • #33 by Hdale85 on 17 Jan 2012
  • Ok, the one on Smithfield street is the one I went by most of the time lol. That really doesn't make any sense then........why ban liquor sales by the grocery stores on Sunday, and then open state stores that are allowed to sell on Sunday? Monopoly?
  • #34 by Cass on 17 Jan 2012
  • #35 by pizzaboyfan on 17 Jan 2012

• In 1933, just four days before the sale of alcohol became legal in Pennsylvania, the Board was officially organized. Upon its creation, Governor Gifford Pinchot stated that the purpose of the Board was to "discourage the purchase of alcoholic beverages by making it as inconvenient and expensive as possible."

It wasn't until the last 4-5 years that they have loosened their grip.
    The State of Pennsylvania the largest purchaser of wine and liquor in the nation.
  • #36 by Trinity on 17 Jan 2012
  • This thread should be renamed Steak and booze... :-D
  • #37 by TXCraig1 on 17 Jan 2012
  • This thread should be renamed Steak and booze... :-D

The two are inseparably linked.

CL
  • #38 by c0mpl3x on 19 Jan 2012

state law you can't sell cars (as a dealer) on sunday, too
  • #39 by namssalg on 19 Jan 2012
  • I'm really liking the photos Trinity posted. Looks delicious.

I heard on the radio a while back that the USDA grading system is done by the look of the meat and that taste has been going down in quality. We've come along way in making the meat perfectly marbled but are losing taste at the same time.
  • #40 by TXCraig1 on 19 Jan 2012
  • I heard on the radio a while back that the USDA grading system is done by the look of the meat

A USDA quality grade is based on two factors: 1) degree of marbling of the ribeye cut between the 12th and 13th rib and 2)degree of maturity - or rather physiological maturity (the USDA does not generally know the actual age of the animal) as indicated by bone characteristics, ossification of the cartilage, and the color and texture of the ribeye muscle.

CL
Pages:
Actions