A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator  (Read 47367 times)

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator
« on: December 13, 2013, 11:02:00 AM »
I bought myself an early Christmas gift this week.

The Anova sous vide immersion circulator.

http://www.anovaculinary.com

I've been using my programmable 6qt slow cooker, but I cannot get the lower temp range I want for rare and medium rare beef (120-130F).
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 11:30:37 AM by Mmmph »
Practice makes pizza

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Re: Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 11:39:54 AM »
Have you used it yet?

jon
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 01:05:56 PM »
Not yet. I guess I should have said, I ordered a myself an early Christmas gift.

First up, though....2.5" thick NY strip streak. 
Practice makes pizza

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 01:21:02 PM »
Why did you decide on the ANOVA over the Sansaire?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 01:34:23 PM »
Why did you decide on the ANOVA over the Sansaire?

I tried to get in on the Kickstarter Sansaire for $179, but missed it by a couple hours.
It looked good...But, so did the Anova. They're both 1000W.

The Sansaire doesn't seem available until late January, early Feb.

I didn't want to wait, hence the Anova.
Practice makes pizza

Offline ejomby

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 07:12:48 PM »
I got the Anova-- and it's awesome!  I haven't been disappointed with anything I've cooked on it yet.  So far-- carrots @ 185, corn @ 185 with butter, chicken breasts @146-- all wonderful!  Took Tbones out of the freezer, bagged them, and dropped them into 135F water for about 2 1/2 hours.  Finished them with a very hot sear- 30 seconds a side.  Perfect.  I think I going to try the legendary sous vide short ribs next.

Edit:  Also used it as a food warmer for Thanksgiving-- that was very helpful.  I have mine connected to a coleman cooler, so we just bagged a lot of things that were cooked early and kept them warm until serving time.  Makes things nice and relaxed.

If only there were a way to sous vide pizza ....
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 07:16:04 PM by ejomby »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 08:15:54 PM »
Sansaire is being sued by Polyscience for patent infringement. Sansaire claims they are in "amicable" talks with Polyscience to settle the matter. This could delay January availability for commercial sales. It could kill the whole enterprise. If I'm Polyscience and I'm confident I could prevail in the suit, the amount I would need in licensing fees from an upstart undercutting my market would be a whole lot more than Sansaire raised in Kickstarter.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 01:35:42 PM »
Sansaire is being sued by Polyscience for patent infringement. Sansaire claims they are in "amicable" talks with Polyscience to settle the matter. This could delay January availability for commercial sales. It could kill the whole enterprise. If I'm Polyscience and I'm confident I could prevail in the suit, the amount I would need in licensing fees from an upstart undercutting my market would be a whole lot more than Sansaire raised in Kickstarter.

Any idea what the claimed infringement is? or what is novel about the Anova that is keeping them out of the hot water (pun intended)?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 02:11:18 PM »
Any idea what the claimed infringement is? or what is novel about the Anova that is keeping them out of the hot water (pun intended)?

Have fun:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/187917748/Preston-Industries-v-Modernchef

I assume that either 1) Anova was more careful about innovating non-infringing technology or 2) the other shoe hasn't dropped yet and Polyscience has gone after the most vulnerable target first.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 02:17:07 PM »
I looked at the suit before I posted. Nothing informative there - just they have been bad and we want an injunction and treble damages and legal fees. I skimmed over the claims in the patent too but it was give me a headache, so I hoped maybe you had seen a summary.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 02:23:25 PM »
I looked at the suit before I posted. Nothing informative there - just they have been bad and we want an injunction and treble damages and legal fees. I skimmed over the claims in the patent too but it was give me a headache, so I hoped maybe you had seen a summary.

Same headache here. I'll have loads more fun spending the afternoon using my SV cooker.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 02:32:13 PM »
Saw this today at SE. A test of the Anova, Sansaire, and Nomiku Sous-Vide Circulators: http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/12/sous-vide-circulator-review-sansaire-nomiku-anova.html

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 02:56:39 PM »
Yea, Anova!
Go, Kenji!

"With all three devices currently residing in my kitchen, I've found myself reaching for the Anova most often."
Practice makes pizza

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 03:26:59 PM »
Saw this today at SE. A test of the Anova, Sansaire, and Nomiku Sous-Vide Circulators: http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/12/sous-vide-circulator-review-sansaire-nomiku-anova.html

Thanks for posting that Craig. It confirms the Anova as the one I've been considering anyway. And if can do up to 4-5 gallons efficiently not many would need more than that.

jon
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline derricktung

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 09:01:35 AM »
Doh... bet on the wrong pony this time it seems.  I backed the Nomiku project since it was the only kickstarter on the market at the time (that I could find) only to have the other two come out afterwards.

Ahh well...

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2013, 11:10:42 AM »
Mine arrived yesterday. I didn't get home until 7pm, so...

After looking around in the fridge, I made glazed carrots using Kenji's recipe/methodology.

I hooked up the Anova to a 12Qt stockpot and filled with hot water (128F).  I set the Anova to 185F and let her rip. I covered most of the top of the pot with foil, per the operators manual. It took 20 minutes to get the water up to 185 temp.  It's quiet, powerful, and accurate (My thermapen said so).  I like that you can adjust the direction of the water flow.

One hour and 10 minutes later, I poured the contents of the bag in a hot non-stick pan and turned the juices into a sweet glaze.

These were the most "carroty" tasting carrots I've ever eaten. Barely al dente, they were sweet and succulent.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/06/how-to-sous-vide-carrots-vegetables.html

Based on this one use, I highly recommend the Anova, and this recipe.
I also have a Coleman 28qt marine cooler that the Anova fits on perfectly.

Next up,
- Three inch thick Angus NY Strip (131F)
- Pork tenderloin, wrapped in prosciutto and stuffed with dried fruit (140F)
- All-belly porchetta (a la Kenji).
Practice makes pizza

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2013, 02:57:47 PM »
I might have to spring for the Anova. It's been on my wish list. I have a Dorkfood DSV temp controller (before any of the affordable consumer circulators came out.) It gets the job done, but the Anova looks to be much simpler and more accurate.

Take pics of the food if you can! Looking forward to seeing this thread grow.

Also, I've found the community at Chefsteps.com to be a great resource for all things related.

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2013, 08:12:06 PM »
Couple of projects;

1. NY Strip steak. 2 1/2" Patted dry...salt, pepper, garlic slices, thyme.  Will cook for 6 hours @ 132F tomorrow (Sunday). Dinner at 6:30pm.
2. All Pork Belly Porchetta.  36 hours @ 155F. Will start it 4am Monday.
3. Pork Belly redux.

This is one quarter of a Berkshire pork belly I bought and vacuum sealed in August.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,27031.msg275321.html#msg275321

The Porchetta is based on this recipe;
http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/12/the-food-lab-deep-fried-sous-vide-36-hour-all-belly-porchetta.html

For Thanksgiving, I did a similar recipe with turkey (Turchetta).
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 08:14:46 PM by Mmmph »
Practice makes pizza

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2013, 10:14:39 PM »
Couple of projects;

1. NY Strip steak. 2 1/2" Patted dry...salt, pepper, garlic slices, thyme.  Will cook for 6 hours @ 132F tomorrow (Sunday). Dinner at 6:30pm.
You will love how tender the NY is after 6 hours @ 132F
2. All Pork Belly Porchetta.  36 hours @ 155F. Will start it 4am Monday.
I am doing a 8lb pork shoulder in my sous vide rig since 11am this morning. I usually go 24 hours @ 145F for tender thin sliced pork for philly roast pork sandwiches and also NE PA what is called pork barbecue sandwiches. NO tomato/ketchup based sauce. Served similar to philly roast pork, but served on hamburger bun with mustard, horseradish, and chili sauce (hotdog sauce) and minced onions.
Anyway.....36 hours @ 155 is what i do for my shredded pork shoulder. So do some research and make sure that porchetta will still slice at that temp and time. I know for fact pork shoulder just falls apart. I have video on this forum showing my pull a butt.

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2013, 11:53:50 AM »

Anyway.....36 hours @ 155 is what i do for my shredded pork shoulder. So do some research and make sure that porchetta will still slice at that temp and time. I know for fact pork shoulder just falls apart. I have video on this forum showing my pull a butt.

I'm following the seriouseats.com recipe...Kenji admits that it's soft and tender inside. I'm deep frying it to finish, so it'll have a crispy shell to keep it together. Pics to follow.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/12/the-food-lab-deep-fried-sous-vide-36-hour-all-belly-porchetta.html

"The texture of a sous-vide porchetta is nothing like that of a roasted porchetta. Ok, so they're both moist, fatty, and delicious, but a sous-vide porchetta is just so much softer, with tender, nearly gelatinous sections of fat-streaked meat and a rosy central core that's soft enough to nearly scoop out with your fingers (believe me, you'll be tempted)."
Practice makes pizza

wordpress