A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator  (Read 47401 times)

Offline FeCheF

Re: Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2013, 12:33:00 PM »
Well, if thats the texture shooting for you then yes, 36 hours @ 155F will do it. Personally I would probably go 24 hours at 145F, then If you were trying to break down the pork belly a bit more, I would crank it up to 160F for a few hours so just the pork belly gets broiken down some more and the inside meat is tender but slicable and not mushy. But thats just me, I dont know if you ever experienced this mealy/mushy texture, but not too many can stomach it.

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2013, 06:49:33 PM »
NY Strip steak 6 hours @132F.
Served sliced on a bed of sauteed button mushrooms and enoki mushrooms on top
Baked potato on the side.

Best steak ever? Possibly!
Practice makes pizza

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2013, 09:13:30 PM »
Looks great! One of my favorite cuts to do Sous vide is "select grade" NY strip (thick cut) for 4 - 6 hours. It has so much beefy flavor and gets so tender and not mushy at all. And because its select grade i get it on sale for $3.98/lb for 1/2 or whole strip loin. Cant beat that, period. Comes out as tender as filet mignon and more flavor. Win/Win

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2013, 07:52:34 AM »
Just set the hook on the Anova, should have it in 7-10 days!! Now the wait........

jon
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2013, 08:44:18 AM »
And because its select grade i get it on sale for $3.98/lb for 1/2 or whole strip loin. Cant beat that, period. Comes out as tender as filet mignon and more flavor. Win/Win

Yes...I'm done with high-dollar cuts of meat for this application.
Practice makes pizza

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2013, 03:48:59 PM »
I think its great to finally see some of the regulars on this forum, jump on the Sous vide bandwagon. It will be great if we can all share ideas/methods for those hard to cook cheap cuts of meat.

Offline andyt

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2013, 02:27:05 PM »
Just ordered an Anova and want to become part of the Pizza Making "sous vide" group.  Really looking forward to some great learning experiences and fabulous food.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year
andyt

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2013, 04:09:18 PM »
I received notice that mine shipped today! 

:drool: :chef:

Offline fritznewton

• Do, or do not. There is no 'try'. Do pizza!
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2013, 04:24:35 PM »
We received ours last week. Very happy so far. Carrots from Kenji were spot on and they do taste "more carrot". Flat iron steaks were equally great. Next up Xmas dinner that is already done waiting to be seared (beef filet). I have a carrot recipe from Chang out of the latest Lucky Peach that is begging to be made next. Worthy food "toy" that paid for itself when my wife had the carrots.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2013, 04:40:15 PM »
I received notice that mine shipped today! 

:drool: :chef:

I also got the same message today!!

jon
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2013, 05:20:14 PM »
Let's reserve this thread for discussions directly related to the Anova. I'll start a new thread in the "Off topic foods" board for members to share recipes, results, tips, etc. for sous vide cooking. Regardless of the appliance used to maintain the temp, it's about what goes into the bath, times, temps, and especially what comes out that really matters. 

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2013, 05:22:01 PM »
                                           ^^
                                 What he said.
Practice makes pizza

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2013, 12:22:40 PM »
I couldn't resist, mine shipped yesterday too. PM should get a commission!  thanks for the inspiration.  can't wait to try it out. 
bill

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2013, 12:55:20 PM »
PM should get a commission!

HA ^^^ For the and the BS for sure. I'll bet BS has gotten more sales directly or indirectly from here than almost anywhere!!!!

jon
Jon

Offline Pizzaddict

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2013, 03:43:02 PM »
Mine is on order as well.  First one to make a Sous Vide pizza wins!!!   :-D

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2013, 04:02:14 PM »
Mine is on order as well.  First one to make a Sous Vide pizza wins!!!   :-D

First one should get banned from this forum.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2013, 03:34:39 PM »
OK, that does it....I just saw Bill's thread where he turned those mock tenders into real tenderloins so I'm in. Can't wait to share recipes with the fellas here!  ;D

Oh, there isn't a coupon code or anything for Anova is there?

Forgot to ask....Bill said that it made a big difference for him once he switched to a temp controller that was more accurate than his previous one that only adjusted in single, whole number degrees rather than fractions thereof.....are the Anova specs available?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 03:43:30 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2014, 12:40:47 AM »
Finally got my new Anova the other day and even though I used it only once LOVE IT!!! I had thawed a chunk of the cured pork shoulder I had frozen and rubbed it up with a porketta/itallian seasoning and some aji panca chili powder and into the sous vide for 20 hours at 135.......OUTSTANDING! Cooled and sliced it up and let the slices set up in it's own jelly/broth and took it to work with some crackers. The ICU staff hit it like a missle. Stopped at RD on the way home this morning and 430+or- bucks later came home with some awesome looking shortribs that I will start tomorrow for a 48ish hour bath. Should be some great cold weather eats over some creamy grits or mashed potatoes :drool:

jon
Jon

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2014, 01:04:13 AM »
Finally got my new Anova the other day and even though I used it only once LOVE IT!!! I had thawed a chunk of the cured pork shoulder I had frozen and rubbed it up with a porketta/itallian seasoning and some aji panca chili powder and into the sous vide for 20 hours at 135.......OUTSTANDING! Cooled and sliced it up and let the slices set up in it's own jelly/broth and took it to work with some crackers. The ICU staff hit it like a missle. Stopped at RD on the way home this morning and 430+or- bucks later came home with some awesome looking shortribs that I will start tomorrow for a 48ish hour bath. Should be some great cold weather eats over some creamy grits or mashed potatoes :drool:

jon
Good deal Jon...ain't no secret you will work that machine to it's max potential.

Contacted Anova the other day and said it's been a week man, where's my tracking #?
"Thank you so much for your patience Robert during this unexpected seasonal rush....your order should ship by the end of next week, at which time we will email you a tracking #."

Hahaa...guess good things come to those that wait!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"