A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator  (Read 47401 times)

Online quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator
« Reply #560 on: October 12, 2017, 04:44:55 PM »
Not sure if anyone will respond in my time frame, I've had short ribs in a bath for about 20 hours, no idea how to finish/glaze. I was thinking a brown sugar, kosher salt, and cayenne rub and finishing on the grill.

the water in the bath is perfectly clear but when I open the plastic wrap covering my pot, there's a strong whiff of meat...I'm thinking that's not a good sign.
"Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good." - Woody Allen

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #561 on: October 12, 2017, 06:07:10 PM »
Not sure if anyone will respond in my time frame, I've had short ribs in a bath for about 20 hours, no idea how to finish/glaze. I was thinking a brown sugar, kosher salt, and cayenne rub and finishing on the grill.

the water in the bath is perfectly clear but when I open the plastic wrap covering my pot, there's a strong whiff of meat...I'm thinking that's not a good sign.

Cheaper, thinner bags will allow that, or if you had a leak. If the bag gassed and floated I would be suspect of funky meat. Also, if you had it at a higher temp you may be okay, below 140-150 WITH a leak and floating.......... ???
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
« Reply #562 on: October 12, 2017, 08:48:11 PM »
Actually, even with well sealed thick bags, I still get a smell of the food after a long SV cook, so I would not worry about it. 

Offline bjc113

« Reply #563 on: October 12, 2017, 10:18:25 PM »
48 hours, 131 degrees

Patted dry, salted generously, seared in cast iron w/ high heat oil

I like to cut up the different muscle groups and then cut them up in sections because on chuck they are all a little different (one of these groups was even tough)

Took the bag juice, boiled it and strained the coagulated stuff, reduced more, added some wine and reduced more, minced garlic, butter.  Great dipping sauce!

Odd how medium the 131 looks though...I think it got redder as the meat was exposed to oxygen, these pics were right after cutting

Offline bjc113

« Reply #564 on: October 12, 2017, 10:19:44 PM »
and this one of it all cut up

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #565 on: October 13, 2017, 09:33:49 AM »

I think it has something to do with the construction of the bags, assuming no leaks. I have accumulated a bunch of batches of bags over the years. Some batches, regardless of thickness, definitely allow limited transfer of odors into the bath. Others never do.  I think it is the older ones that are the most porous. Probably due to the composition of the bags.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #566 on: October 13, 2017, 09:48:52 AM »
It's a function of the material and thickness. The price of plastic film goes up quickly as you require lower gas and moisture permeability. When I was in the nanotech business, it wasn't uncommon for the barrier film to be more expensive that the nanoparticles it was protecting.  I wish I could find a graphic I saw once. I think it was from 3M; it compared the water permeability of various plastic films. It showed something like how much water would pass through the film covering the area of a football field during an hour of rain. Regular kitchen plastic wrap would let 20,000 gallons through and the stuff we were using was like 3ml.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #567 on: October 13, 2017, 01:51:10 PM »
the meat turned out to be just fine, 48 hours at 131F. I rubbed the short ribs with a mixture of brown sugar and cayenne pepper,  onto the grill for a couple of minutes to caramelize the sugar and we loved the result.

I guess my wife and I expected something closer to braised, where the meat was fall-apart tender, instead it was like a good piece of steak or prime rib.
"Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good." - Woody Allen

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #568 on: October 13, 2017, 04:07:17 PM »
It's a function of the material and thickness

Do you think water temp is a factor? Maybe in absolute terms, the delta of 180F vs. 135F isn't very significant?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #569 on: October 13, 2017, 04:31:40 PM »
Do you think water temp is a factor? Maybe in absolute terms, the delta of 180F vs. 135F isn't very significant?

I would imagine there is a working limit range and inside the range the delta is small, but that's just a guess. I'm also not sure which direction it would go. I.e., would warmer make it more or less permeable. I think there are plastics that go both ways and maybe in different ways varying with the temperature.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline bjc113

« Reply #570 on: October 19, 2017, 05:43:01 PM »
Made something new - beef shank.  We braised some last week and I read about sous viding it...

72 hours at 140.  It was one of the best things I've done yet in this machine...

Most of those bones didn't make it to the sear stage  - they were liberated of that delicious marrow  ;D
Removed it from bags, patted dry, salted , seared

Put the bag juice in a pan, mixed some cold water/cornstarch in, then heated it.  This actually makes those solids not coagulate...it worked out really well. 

It was so tasty all I have is this pre-sear pic...we went to town immediately

wordpress