A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Naan Bread - Serious Eats (Kenji)  (Read 1310 times)

Offline PizzaManic

Naan Bread - Serious Eats (Kenji)
« on: September 07, 2016, 04:49:56 AM »
Hi Guys

I converted Kenji's Naan Bread Recipe to Bakers % - please check my numbers and let me know if I've done it correctly.
Original recipe can be found here http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/08/grilled-naan-recipe.html

Flour (100%):
Milk (63.5%):
IDY (1.13%):
Salt (2%):
Sugar (3.63%):
Total (170.26%):
Single Ball:
304.21 g  |  10.73 oz | 0.67 lbs
193.18 g  |  6.81 oz | 0.43 lbs
3.44 g | 0.12 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.14 tsp | 0.38 tbsp
6.08 g | 0.21 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.09 tsp | 0.36 tbsp
11.04 g | 0.39 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.77 tsp | 0.92 tbsp
517.95 g | 18.27 oz | 1.14 lbs | TF = 0.05075
86.33 g | 3.05 oz | 0.19 lbs

The next question I have is the recipe calls for 0.25 Ounces of Yeast and when I converted to Bakers % - it comes in at 1.13%. I checked this number against Craigs Yeast Prediction Chart and for a 2 hours rise at my current room temp which is around 29 Degrees Celcius - I should use about 0.32% for a 2 Hour Rise. Is the extra yeast going to be a waste?

Thanks
Mo
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 05:15:59 AM by PizzaManic »
Regards Mo

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Re: Naan Bread - Serious Eats (Kenji)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 10:10:16 AM »
I just looked at the ingredient list. First thing that jumps out is your list skips butter. Other than some minor rounding differences, everything else looks good. It also looks like you have the c weights for half a batch. Here's what I got for percentages:

Flour 100%
IDY 1.14%
Salt 2%
Sugar 3.64%
Yogurt/milk 63.64%
Butter 18.18%

As for the yeast amount, if it is a waste, it is a pretty small amount of waste. I'd go with the recipe as written on the first try.

Good luck. Sounds tasty.

Offline PizzaManic

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 10:34:59 AM »
Hi Jon

Appreciate you confirming my %. I just double checked the forgotten butter you picked up and it's not included in the dough recipe - it's actually for brushing on the Naan right after it's baked.

I'm making these tonight - will hopefully snap some shots and post them up tomorrow.

Wish me luck

Mo
Regards Mo

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 10:53:09 AM »
Guess it pays to read the recipe...I was just looking at ingredients. I've often thought about trying naan in the Blackstone but never tried it. Look forward to your pictures...and good luck.

Offline PizzaManic

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 11:04:41 AM »
Thanks & I hope you take the plunge and try out some in the Blackstone - make sure to make a Good Curry to go with it  :drool:
Regards Mo

Offline PizzaManic

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 05:01:47 AM »
This didn't go exactly as I planned but it turned out nice in the end.

Tasked my other half with making the dough atleast 4 hours ahead of time - 2 hours to bulk rise and 2 hrs to rise in balls.
With some delay, she only ended up making the dough 1.5 hours before baking.

We preheated a skillet on 240C and just before baking - I move the skillet about 5CM below the broiler and blasted it on the skillet. I turned my oven to Fan Assist + the Broiler on full blast and loaded my first Naan into the oven. It baked about 1 min on the first side before i flipped it so the side touching my skillet was now receiving direct heat from the broiler - total bake time was about 2 mins for each naan.
Each of the naans blew up like a huge pita and the first one touched the broiler before igniting into a flame - I managed to get to it in time but the part that touched the elements charred beyond edible and we just peeled out that portion.

I was more careful with the rest of the Naan's and this attempt turned out beautifully.

Next time I will use yogurt and Cold Ferment for at least 1 day in the fridge to develop more flavor.

Overall we really enjoyed it - they were rolled super thin and developed a lovely crisp which went perfectly with the Butter Chicken.

Hope others give this a try and post your feedback

Take Care
Mo
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 05:18:26 AM by PizzaManic »
Regards Mo

Offline carl333

• Always trying to improve my dough.
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 02:03:47 PM »
Well done Mo. I'm thinking about giving this a shot on my BS oven.
Carl

Offline PizzaManic

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 04:00:00 AM »
Carl, With the Eye Candy Pizza's you produce - I can only imagine what Naans you will dish out of your oven. I can't wait to see your results.

Just 1 tip - try and pull them out by 80 secs at the most. I believe in a Tandoor Oven where Naans are traditionally made - it's baked for 20 to 30 seconds producing a tender Naan Bread. I have often tasted Naans like this at local restaurants and they produce a super tender crust and really delicious crisp - it is absolutely divine. I think that's the closest I get to knowing what a real Neapolitan Style Pie Crust taste like.

The pic attached is where I would want to be with my Naan Attempts

Good Luck
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 04:31:00 AM by PizzaManic »
Regards Mo

Offline PizzaManic

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 05:03:37 AM »
Hey Guys

I know this is an old topic but I thought I would give an update on my most recent attempt.
We decided at the last minute to have Naan which meant only 1 hour rising time. I have a box with a light in it which I used to speed up the rising time. Oven was preheated using the broiler directed onto my Steel. After 1 hour, the steel was now at 550f - the first Naan was rolled out and loaded straight on to the steel which is about 7 to 8cm below the broiler.

Within 15 second, the entire Naan blew up like a balloon reaching up to the Broiler element catching on to it before totally deflating due to the element piercing the dough with the high heat. I slipped the Naan out, turned it over and placed it back on the steel for another 15 seconds before it was ready to remove. It had very nice browning and was fully baked - I was ecstatic since I was able to bake this for 30 seconds which I was sure would achieve a tender yet crispy naan.

I was sorely dissapointed when all 10 of my naans were baked and we were ready to eat. We found as the Naan stood longer, it became more tough and leathery - even the last naan to come out the oven which stood for less then a few minutes and was still hot wasn't the least tender.

My question is what can I add to my current dough or even open to trying out a new formula that will keep the naan soft and tender?

Thanks
Mo
Regards Mo

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 10:21:07 AM »
How about sharing your current formula and process -- break out the milk/yogurt amounts. You seemed pretty happy in 2016; maybe it was the rushed fermentation?
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline PizzaManic

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 10:28:52 AM »
Hi Steve

Thanks for your reply. I am using the same formula from my first post in this thread

You are right, the attempt I made in 2016 was good but I remember clearly it started to border on leathery shortly after it cooled down and that too not a long cool down period - a matter of 10 to 15 minutes.

I'm considering Oil or Butter in the dough and some other conditioners to keep it soft and tender like but just not sure how these would affect the final outcome considering I will be baking quick and fairly hot - 30 second bakes.

Thanks
Regards Mo

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 10:33:09 AM »
Are you using whole milk and full-fat yogurt? You might try less milk, more yogurt..
In grams we trust.

Offline PizzaManic

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 10:35:07 AM »
Whole milk - no yogurt was on hand at the time. Double Cream (Greek Yogurt) is easily available so I'll have to get myself a Tub for my next attempt.

How long should I ferment for at the least?
Regards Mo

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 12:41:52 PM »
Well, Kenji's recipe calls for 2 hours bulk/2 hours in balls (doubling each time), so I'd start there. Stretching instead of rolling will help, and +1 on the Greek yogurt, the added fat will help a lot.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 12:58:36 PM by vtsteve »
In grams we trust.

Offline PizzaManic

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 07:54:16 AM »
Hey Guys

I have a sudden craving for naan bread but is it ever so simple just to make it up - eat it and be happy  :-\
I always want to tinker with what I have  ;D

So with my recent success using a solid fat like Butter & Margarine - I was thinking of adding it to my next attempt with this Naan Recipe.

Not sure in what % ratio I should add it so hopefully someone can chirp in and advise.

Thanks
Mo
Regards Mo

Offline PizzaManic

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 05:57:48 AM »
Hey Guys

I've come up with these 2 new formulas for my next attempt at Naan Bread.
My question is what adjustments do I need to make in order to get the Hydration to a total of 64% and not higher since my flour doesn't work very well with anything higher.

Below Formula is with Bread Flour
Flour (100%):
Water (38%):
IDY (0.5%):
Salt (2%):
Sugar (2%):
Greek Yogurt (28%):
Butter/Margarine (9%):
Total (179.5%):
Single Ball:
224.51 g  |  7.92 oz | 0.49 lbs
85.31 g  |  3.01 oz | 0.19 lbs
1.12 g | 0.04 oz | 0 lbs | 0.37 tsp | 0.12 tbsp
4.49 g | 0.16 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.8 tsp | 0.27 tbsp
4.49 g | 0.16 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.13 tsp | 0.38 tbsp
62.86 g | 2.22 oz | 0.14 lbs | 4.19 tbsp | 0.26 cups
20.21 g | 0.71 oz | 0.04 lbs | 4.27 tsp | 1.42 tbsp
403 g | 14.22 oz | 0.89 lbs | TF = 0.0707
100.75 g | 3.55 oz | 0.22 lbs

Formula Below is with All Purpose Flour
Flour (100%):
Water (42%):
IDY (0.5%):
Salt (2%):
Sugar (2%):
Milk (22%):
Butter/Margarine (6%):
Total (174.5%):
Single Ball:
228.66 g  |  8.07 oz | 0.5 lbs
96.04 g  |  3.39 oz | 0.21 lbs
1.14 g | 0.04 oz | 0 lbs | 0.38 tsp | 0.13 tbsp
4.57 g | 0.16 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.82 tsp | 0.27 tbsp
4.57 g | 0.16 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.15 tsp | 0.38 tbsp
50.3 g | 1.77 oz | 0.11 lbs | 10.06 tsp | 3.35 tbsp
13.72 g | 0.48 oz | 0.03 lbs | 2.9 tsp | 0.97 tbsp
399.01 g | 14.07 oz | 0.88 lbs | TF = 0.07
99.75 g | 3.52 oz | 0.22 lbs

Wanna whip up this batch tonight for a 24hr Cold Ferment to use tomorrow.

Thanks
Mo
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 06:00:56 AM by PizzaManic »
Regards Mo

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 02:19:29 PM »
Mo,

To get the hydration numbers right, you will want to calculate the amount of water that is in the Greek Yogurt, and in the Margarine, if used, and in the Milk. FYI, a basic margarine product (sticks) in the U.S. contains about 17% water, a non-fat milk (if that type is used) contains about 90% water, and a plain whole-milk Yogurt (non-Greek) contains about 88% water. Since margarine, milk and yogurt come in many forms, you might check the percents of water in the specific products you are using. I use the information available at the website at http://nutritiondata.self.com/. FYI, butter has no water content.

Peter

Online foreplease

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 11:55:10 PM »
Peter, it has been my understanding that butter contains approximately 17% water. Here is an article comparing brands with moisture content ranging from 12 to nearly 18%. 
http://www.sfgate.com/recipes/article/When-Put-to-the-Test-Here-s-How-Butter-Brands-3236719.php#photo-2380114
-Tony
I find it easier to imagine a diet of nothing but ice cream than one without ice cream

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2017, 02:00:48 PM »
Peter, it has been my understanding that butter contains approximately 17% water. Here is an article comparing brands with moisture content ranging from 12 to nearly 18%. 
http://www.sfgate.com/recipes/article/When-Put-to-the-Test-Here-s-How-Butter-Brands-3236719.php#photo-2380114
Tony,

Thanks for pointing that out. You are correct. Before posting, I went to my refrigerator and looked at the ingredients statements for butter and margarine and did not see any water in the ingredients statement for the butter, but did see water added to the margarine. If I had thought more clearly on the matter, I would have seen that there is water in the cream used to make the butter. For Mo's benefit, here is a link that spells things out:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/0/2

Peter

Online foreplease

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2017, 05:44:18 PM »
Tony,

Thanks for pointing that out. You are correct. Before posting, I went to my refrigerator and looked at the ingredients statements for butter and margarine and did not see any water in the ingredients statement for the butter, but did see water added to the margarine. If I had thought more clearly on the matter, I would have seen that there is water in the cream used to make the butter. For Mo's benefit, here is a link that spells things out:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/0/2

Peter

That's the catch and it is hard to remember for things like hydration ratios. I guess it is a component rather than an ingredient of cream/butter. The only reason it came to mind is many of the FN people talk about letting buttter foam in a pan before sautéing. I think it was Alton Brown who spoke most clearly about this not happening until the popping stops and the water cooks out.
-Tony
I find it easier to imagine a diet of nothing but ice cream than one without ice cream

wordpress