A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Mary Annís WFO Cooking  (Read 271 times)

Offline mbrulato

• Supporting Member
  • I heart pizza
Mary Annís WFO Cooking
« on: October 09, 2017, 04:12:20 PM »
I wanted to start a thread to keep track of interesting and fun foods I experiment with other than pizza in my WFO (FGM 950B Raised).

This first post may be considered heresy by some of my friends on this forum who know how to smoke meats with dedicated smokers, but I wanted to try to smoke in my WFO since I have a damper on my flue connector. So, here it goes.  Last night, I smoked a pastrami that I made from scratch using this recipe http://www.extraordinarybbq.com/smoked-pastrami/ I brined it for two weeks changing the brine out after one week with a fresh batch.  I was afraid to smoke it for too long because I really donít know how to achieve the desired thin blue smoke versus the white smoke that yields a bitter, acrid taste.  I used a few soaked hickory chunks on top of a bed of embers, closed the insulated door and left the damper open a bit to let some oxygen in.  It came out really well and my guests enjoyed it.  Yummy!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 06:33:43 PM by mbrulato »
Mary Ann

"Have courage and be kind" - Cinderella

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Re: Mary Annís WFO Cooking
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 05:01:56 PM »
I could eat pastrami ALL day EVERY day!!!! A while back I made pastrami cured short ribs, you may want to give that a try too! :drool:
Jon

ďThe two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.Ē            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 05:29:12 PM »
Wow.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 07:02:40 PM »
Deb

Offline mbrulato

• Supporting Member
  • I heart pizza
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 07:40:33 PM »
Thanks all.  Has anyone smoked food in their WFO?  I really need a little guidance on the common sense rules of smoking in a WFO, the smoke color, using the flue damper and insulated door to control smoke, etc, etc.
Mary Ann

Offline foreplease

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 08:40:23 PM »
I canít stop looking at it. It looks so good! How long was it in your WFO?
-Tony
I find it easier to imagine a diet of nothing but ice cream than one without ice cream

Offline mbrulato

• Supporting Member
  • I heart pizza
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 08:53:32 PM »
I canít stop looking at it. It looks so good! How long was it in your WFO?
About 3 hours.  The oven got hotter than I wanted it to because I had wood that wasnít seasoned so well and it took forever to catch and then forever to get to the embers stage so I could put the hickory chunks on.  But I was able to use the residual heat to drive out the moisture in about 20 logs after I took the ashes out.  So hopefully whenever I use it again, the fire wonít take as long to start and manage heat.
Mary Ann

wordpress