Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by mitchjg on 15 Oct 2017
  • LLoydpan has a division or area that sells kitchenware - in addition to pizza stuff.

They were marketing it for awhile as "Manpan" but are abandoning that and going back to LLoydpan Kitchenware (seems like the right decision to me - I do not see that name as working out too well, at least with 50% of the population).

Anyway, I am wondering if anyone here has any actual experience with these pots and pans for the kitchen.  They seem pretty competitive with the lacks of Scanpan, seem more lightweight and are made with that super duper coating as used for the pizza Lloydpan equipment.

Before I press "Buy", I want to check in to find out if anyone has bought / used this stuff.

Thanks
  • #2 by jsaras on 15 Oct 2017
  • I have a couple of ManPans.  They're not traditional non-stick pans. If you think of them as thin carbon steel instead of non-stick then you'll get your use out of them.  You'll need to use the same amount of oil as carbon steel or cast iron and the cleanup isn't as easy as a non-stick pan. 

The finish on the frying pans is not the same as their pizza pans but it is safe to higher temps than many non-stick pans which is what drew me to it.

All that said, I use my carbon steel, cast iron and Greenpan nonstick pans (from Costco) far more than my ManPans.  I adore my Lloyds pizza pans though.
  • #3 by mitchjg on 15 Oct 2017
  • I have a couple of ManPans.  They're not traditional non-stick pans. If you think of them as thin carbon steel instead of non-stick then you'll get your use out of them.  You'll need to use the same amount of oil as carbon steel or cast iron and the cleanup isn't as easy as a non-stick pan. 

The finish on the frying pans is not the same as their pizza pans but it is safe to higher temps than many non-stick pans which is what drew me to it.

All that said, I use my carbon steel, cast iron and Greenpan nonstick pans (from Costco) far more than my ManPans.  I adore my Lloyds pizza pans though.

Thanks, that is really helpful.  I am OK with them being more like carbon steel.  We  have a few cast iron and carbon steel pans as well as a carbon steel wok.  With the exception of the wok, they are pretty heavy and between that and my super fussiness about clean up and maintenance, my wife tends to leave it to me to use them.  She typically uses a couple of Scanpans that we have but they are getting long in the tooth.

One part of the cast iron / carbon steel fussiness is to not allow them to sit with water and get rusty.  The other is to be careful when washing to avoid removing any seasoning.

It seems to me that both of these issues are eliminated by these ManPans since they have their super duper coating and because they sound pretty lightweight.  Am I correct about that?

• #4 by jsaras on 16 Oct 2017
  • Hi Mitch,

It sounds like you're understanding their pans for what they are.  They are lighter than carbon steel and no rust issues.  I just decided to cook up 60g of egg whites with a few drops of lemon juice and a pinch of salt in their 8-inch pan.  I thought that used an adequate amount of oil to get it to release easily (the same amount that I use in my 8-inch carbon steel) but it wasn't quite enough.  I put the egg in when the pan measured 230F.  You'll see the small burned bit that required a metal scraper to remove.

I then repeated this but started cooking with the pan at room temperature and the results were worse.  The egg was far from being burned, but it wasn't a clean release. 
  • #5 by mitchjg on 16 Oct 2017
  • I have been developing a habit (I think I picked it up from Christopher Kimball somewhere along the way), especially with a wok, of heating a pan, putting in a bit of oil and then wiping the oil around with a paper towel while off the burner.  Then back on the burner, add oil and start cooking.  It does a very last second seasoning and slicks out the pan more than just cooking with oil in a heated pan (or at least I think it works.)

If nothing else, I may buy their stir fry pan to replace (at least most of the time) my wok.  We cook a lot with the wok and my wife always wants to steam stuff in it, like spinach, because it is so nice and roomy.  I hate steaming in the wok, especially spinach, because it can wreak havoc with the seasoning. 

Thanks for your insights.

Pages:
Actions