A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Onion Chopping - better way?  (Read 691 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Onion Chopping - better way?
« on: October 15, 2017, 07:31:55 PM »
I've been practicing this technique and am now down to about 15 seconds for large onions with a large chef's knife. For a medium chop, this seems to be a better way for me. Will keep at it - not that the time difference is life-changing, but I just don't enjoy chopping.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Re: Onion Chopping - better way?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 09:16:25 PM »
Hmmmmm.....I test fly it for sure! It would have come in more handy back in my mess hall and restaurant days😄 One thing I NEVER held much value in is those couple of horizontal cuts after the vertical ones. Seen more people cutting themselves on that useless maneuver than almost any!! :o :P
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 09:19:50 PM »
Ps.......now if I have a buttload of veggies to cut I grab the V-Hobel Slicer. 😎
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline petef

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 05:35:03 AM »
What about the "eyes tearing" problem?

As I understand, a refrigerated onion gives off much less gas than one at room temp.
So refrigerate your onions prior to dicing them.

On a Johnny Carson rerun cooking segment the cook had Johnny hold a whole slice of bread in his mouth as he was slicing the onion as a way to keep his eyes from tearing. Anyone here ever try that one?

Sometimes I'm cutting an onion and my eyes get so teary that I have to leave the room. After clearing my eyes with fresh air, I get get a towel and try to fan away the onion gases before starting again.

Got any other tips?

--pete--

Online csnack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 06:40:13 AM »

As I understand, a refrigerated onion gives off much less gas than one at room temp.

On a Johnny Carson rerun cooking segment the cook had Johnny hold a whole slice of bread in his mouth as he was slicing the onion as a way to keep his eyes from tearing. Anyone here ever try that one?

Sometimes I'm cutting an onion and my eyes get so teary that I have to leave the room. After clearing my eyes with fresh air, I get get a towel and try to fan away the onion gases before starting again.

Got any other tips?

--pete--

I wear cheap safety goggles from the hardware store. No crying or irritation. The onion gasses make me sneeze, too, but if I don't breath through my nose I'm solid.

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 08:39:23 AM »
I chop on a board placed on my stove with the range hood on. Helps quite a bit.
Marty

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 09:09:26 AM »
I used to be severely affected by tearing, but not at all anymore. Maybe it's one of those body things don't work as well as you get older ;). Maybe they're developing strains of onions that don't cause as much tearing. The other day I chopped 4 pounds of plain yellows with not a bit of tearing.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 09:49:09 AM »
I used to be severely affected by tearing, but not at all anymore. Maybe it's one of those body things don't work as well as you get older ;). Maybe they're developing strains of onions that don't cause as much tearing. The other day I chopped 4 pounds of plain yellows with not a bit of tearing.

I've also have become less affected by onions as I've aged, on the other hand my alergies have gotten worse.......go figure!?
Jon

Online jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 10:27:53 AM »

Got any other tips?

--pete--

Use a sharp knife and the onion won't bleed; no more tears.  In both versions of the cut he used Japanese blades that have edges with narrower edge angles which make for cleaner cuts than European knives that have wider edge angles.  He used a santoku knife for his first cut.  The flat edge of santoku knives is something that I haven't bonded with personally.  For the street cut it looks like he switched to a gyotu or a shashimi knife; longer Japanese style blades that are akin to Western chefs knives.  He doesn't know how to use a honing rod, but that's another story for another day.  FWIW, my current favorite knife is a hybrid between a Western shape and a Japanese edge angle: Kuma Chef Knife Multi Purpose - RAZOR SHARP OUT OF THE BOX - Best 8 Inch Chef's Knife for Carving, Slicing & Chopping - Ergonomic Handle - Professional Kitchen Knives - Enhance Your Cooking Now! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ERJTK1E/?tag=pmak-20
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Online bregent

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 12:40:34 PM »
There's a really good online video series on knife techniques. The series is free, but you do have to first register at the site. If it's any comfort, in the 3 years since registering they have never spammed me.
The entire class runs about 2 hours.

https://www.craftsy.com/cooking/classes/complete-knife-skills/35338
Bob

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 02:08:35 PM »
I've been practicing this technique and am now down to about 15 seconds for large onions with a large chef's knife. For a medium chop, this seems to be a better way for me. Will keep at it - not that the time difference is life-changing, but I just don't enjoy chopping.

Here’s how to make it even faster.
After cutting the vertical slices, turn the onion 90 degrees, and cut 2 horizontal slices, front to almost the back. 
Then each downward chop will yield your finished piece.
It eliminates the last part of his process, and you can control the size of the final piece by making more or less than 2 horizontal cuts.
It’s a tearless method, because the open ends of the onion pieces, with the eye irritants, are always facing inward or downward while they are being cut, with the skin always facing up.
No onion spray, no tears.

Perry
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 02:25:56 PM by pizzaboyfan »

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 03:50:36 PM »
Got any other tips?

--pete--
As a teenager working prep in my grandfathers restaurant, the cooks told me to wet a kitchen towel & wrap it around my neck when I was slicing onions.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 04:33:39 PM »
As a teenager working prep in my grandfathers restaurant, the cooks told me to wet a kitchen towel & wrap it around my neck when I was slicing onions.

Or you can wrap it around your head if the CIA puts a bug up your nose.  :-D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 05:53:20 PM »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2017, 11:48:27 AM »
That's funny.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline lesagemike

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2017, 08:09:43 PM »
I agree, thats really funny to me.

Offline foreplease

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2017, 11:44:00 PM »
Hilarious! Reminded me of the opening minute from the “Summer Salads” episode from his Jamie at Home series, which I thought was great.

WRT saving time slicing and dicing, not saying I could not improve but I’m not to looking to save any time. I enjoy it. Gives me time to rehash and refine the menu plan and, especially, figure out what needs to happen to have everything ready at the same time. I’ll take help on how to clean up faster  ;D
-Tony
I find it easier to imagine a diet of nothing but ice cream than one without ice cream

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2017, 12:08:12 AM »

I’ll take help on how to clean up faster  ;D

My wife would agree with you on that note,  I'm deficient in that area :-[
Jon

Online jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2017, 03:55:47 AM »
To save time, I'm going to start wearing an apron with a towel in the drawstring.  I don't know that I'm OCD, but I have to wash my hands every time I get something on them.  It ends up being nearly half the time spent on prep..  For everything besides meat,  I'd be fine just wiping them down on a towel.

Online timgiuffi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2017, 06:26:50 PM »
Here’s how I do it.
Tim