A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pasta Carbonara- A new rabbit hole  (Read 4568 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Pasta Carbonara- A new rabbit hole
« Reply #140 on: May 24, 2022, 03:25:23 PM »
I would think if one felt the need to cleen the dies a Waterpik would be a great choice!

Not so sure, Jon. The passageways of some of these dies are pretty intricate (see non-Newtonian fluids). I'm not sure an oral irrigator produces enough pressure. I used to keep around a scuba tank for these types of things. Not only would it blow out clogs in anything, but it could also rip that thing out of your hand and fling it to the next county.

Offline ButteredPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #141 on: May 25, 2022, 10:59:56 AM »
Keeping in refrigerated water sounds great for someone who uses it frequently.  I have several dies and I probably don't use the same one more than once or twice a year, so my situation is a little different, and not sure it would remain "safe" for 6 months in the fridge.  Maybe packed in salt water brine?  Vinegar would damage the brass (e.g. pickled).  I wonder if freezing it in water would be similar, or possibly damage the brass?  Hmmm.  No, I need the freezer space anyway.  I'll do almost anything to keep out of cleaning these dies, it's only 15-20 minutes of effort but man is it painstaking!!

Sorry to temporarily derail your thread on pasta carbonara :angel:

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #142 on: May 25, 2022, 12:08:48 PM »
Keeping in refrigerated water sounds great for someone who uses it frequently.

Sorry to temporarily derail your thread on pasta carbonara :angel:

Not derailing at all. Ease of use is an important aspect of this rabbit hole. I have several (too many) dies in the fridge submerged in water in a small 1Q cambro. Some I have only used once. I think it is perfectly safe. The dies are piping hot when I'm done extruding so I assume any dough remaining in the die is sterilized (I'll measure the temp next time). I've changed the water a few times, but I don't think that has been necessary. The manufacturer of the extruder recommends boiling the die before use if they have been stored in water at room temp.

If you have a little space in your fridge, I see no reason for you to burden yourself cleaning out the dies after every use. Life is too short - this hole is too deep!

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #143 on: May 25, 2022, 02:03:26 PM »
From my brewing days, PBW (powdered brewery wash) is an effective cleaner of protein off of metals like brass. Similar to Oxygen cleaners but different enough to be safe for brass. Just in case you need a simple deep clean. Also good to run in dishwasher.

Meant to type Bronze not Brass.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 01:12:42 AM by Pizza_Not_War »

Offline barryvabeach

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #144 on: May 25, 2022, 09:00:08 PM »
Bill, have you tried a water pic?  It was recommended on a pasta making facebook site by a number of users,  I bought one, but haven't gotten around to trying it out yet.  I have a Fusilli A2 6,5mm   https://pastidea.com/en/product/screen-fusillini-for-kenwood/?attribute_pa_material=e3-bronzestandard  the slots look big in the photo, but they are 1.1 m wide, so it took a very long time to clean by soaking in water, using a tooth pick, and repeat over and over.  I am hoping the waterpic will do a better job once I remove most of the dough with a toothpick.
Current Ovens  -  BS, Halo Versa 16
Mixers .   Electrolux ( ANK ) ,  Bosch Compact, IM-5S
Mills - Retsel, Lee .

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #145 on: May 25, 2022, 10:05:30 PM »
Bill, have you tried a water pic?  It was recommended on a pasta making facebook site by a number of users

No, Barry, I haven't. I'll stick with the manufacturer-recommended submersion method.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #146 on: June 01, 2022, 04:27:49 PM »
I can't recommend highly enough Alex's method (see reply #116 above). You have to fill in some of the blanks yourself - like cooking times and the amount of pasta water to put in the sauce, but these are things you need to improvise based on your specific situation. The hardest part is timing the pasta and the sauce to be perfectly done at the same time. The window is small - too small to add taking a photo. Next time I'll see about having a video camera rolling. The biggest thing to work on now are my plating skills - never my forte. But I think I'm pretty close to the bottom of this rat hole. Still many other adventures on my rat hole bucket list.  ;)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #147 on: July 30, 2022, 03:42:31 PM »
Alex's series continues with him wasting a lot of time things that don't really matter in the home setting.

There is no need to dry extruded pasta if it is going to be consumed within a few days. Also, it is crazy the amount of time he spent on a motorized cutter. Manual cutting is very easy and many commercial models are available with a motorized cutter. Still, it is a lot of fun to join him on this journey.