A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
Pizza Ovens / Re: Pizza Party stand ideas and opinions
« Last post by HellSpawn on Today at 10:22:12 PM »
I've seen your bracket and I love it! But I'm neither that handy nor do I have an upstairs.
General Pizza Making / Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Last post by Timpanogos Slim on Today at 09:32:58 PM »
Tonight's DSP. Dough from the same batch as the last one, Hans recipe but with iirc 2% olive oil and 2% original flavacol.

I think most of us are used to stretching a detroit dough in the pan twice - this is the 2nd time i have let it rest and rise again for another 30-45 minutes after the 2nd stretch and it paid off again.

10 minutes on the middle rack at 475 and 2 minutes under the broiler. I think i should have gone 12 minutes and then 2 minutes maybe. Bottom browning was maybe not as it could have been and should have been. Still good tho.

Getting tired of the hormell 'ronis from costco. Got about a third of a pound left. I think i want a smaller diameter cup-n-char next, if i can figure out where to buy it.

Frico tonight courtesey of Sargento pre-sliced muenster. This may be a winner. The rest of the cheese is widmer's brick. And some microplane romano right on top of the dough.

aside from all that, calabrian peppers and sauteed mushrooms.
Pizza Ovens / Re: Consolidated Halo Topic
« Last post by DDT on Today at 09:29:51 PM »
How does Lamonica compare to your do dough?

It is good dough. I have used it in the home oven very often before getting the Halo  with good results. This one was in the freezer for a long time and I think putting it on the speed screen requires a higher stone temp on launch as the thick aluminum probably zapped a lot of heat and didn't send it all to the bottom of such a big pizza. Maybe transferring direct to the stone sooner  would have given a faster bake? Not sure. I leave it in the oven double digit time so it dried it out and made it very crunchy so to compare it had a different texture for sure. I bet if I split it in half and made two small pizzas cooked like I do my dough it would be more of a fair comparison. I have never stretched one out that big but using the screen made that part easy. Something you may already know. Lamonica is a huge wholesale dough producer with a few plants. They supply Costco with dough. The supermarket I use to work for carries it and sells a fair amount. If I could get a retail pack (sealed in individual bags) in a 13 ounce I would probably use it as cheater nights. Nothing like home made.
I was thinking about this but didn't want to be the one to say it.

I think i can get small cans of Mutti paste? I'm certain i can get small cans of Muir Glen paste. I wonder which one goes best.

I'm only several ladles into my first can of 7/11 and it's kind of a revelation. Love the stuff. When i get to the last baggie in the freezer i may go buy two cans and put one in the basement closet.

I do think it is *slightly damp for my uses. But just a little.

Interesting, you guys are aligned. I suggested paste as I think its a good and simple solution to get what he's looking for.

If it's just a little damp, maybe just strain out a little of the liquid?
I'd suggest adding a bit of paste to get the consistency you want.

I was thinking about this but didn't want to be the one to say it.

I think i can get small cans of Mutti paste? I'm certain i can get small cans of Muir Glen paste. I wonder which one goes best.

I'm only several ladles into my first can of 7/11 and it's kind of a revelation. Love the stuff. When i get to the last baggie in the freezer i may go buy two cans and put one in the basement closet.

I do think it is *slightly damp for my uses. But just a little.

I'd suggest adding a bit of paste to get the consistency you want.
Dough Ingredients / Re: Alternative grains?
« Last post by Timpanogos Slim on Today at 09:12:04 PM »
Found 'organic' spelt at the woo-woo store for about $2.40/lb. Got a couple pounds.
Chicago Style / Re: Malnati Deep Dish with Semolina
« Last post by foreplease on Today at 08:38:50 PM »
CS11,
If you like all other things about your pizza you could try what people typically do when they bake fruit pies. Use thin strips of AL foil, about 2 wide, fold them (double thickness now) so they are about 1 wide, then cover the edge of your dough all the way around the perimeter. Crimp it to the pan and near bottom edge inside where dough meets sauce. Pull them off about 10 min before your bake is done. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Pizza News / Re: You never know who's making the pizza
« Last post by wotavidone on Today at 08:37:51 PM »
What, me?? It's outrageous!! How do you... I mean, no of course not.

:-D :-D :-D
New York Style / Re: (Caputo) Manitoba Oro - Any sage advice?
« Last post by kori on Today at 08:30:14 PM »
rizzler

When you get back into Canada you should consider trying this flour out if its available in your area

https://ardentmills.ca/products/traditional-flours/pizza/

it's also an unmalted flour but browns suprisingly well in a 550F oven, pretty much the same as any AP flour. I've used it w/o sugar, and with sugar at fairly low amounts 1.5-1.75% was plenty, now I use diastatic malt powder. Gone up to 5 days CF and up to 24 RTF, great results either way.

Scott & I touched on the subject breifly a few weeks back in another thread regarding unmalted flours that brown like malted flours which possilby applies to both our flours. Here's the short discussion we had.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=77963.msg734936#msg734936
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
wordpress