A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Crawfish stew pics  (Read 1317 times)

Offline 007bond-jb

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza & Beer
Crawfish stew pics
« on: April 19, 2006, 12:20:56 PM »
One of my favorite dishes besides pizza I will add the recipe another time
Uppdate this is a  shrimp stew  the recipe below is the same for crawfish or shrimp
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 11:31:14 AM by 007bond-jb »

Offline 007bond-jb

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza & Beer
Re: Crawfish stew pics
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 09:24:22 AM »
Old Fashioned Shrimp Stew
2 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 Tbsp Tony Chachere's Original Seasoning
2 Tbsp butter or margarine
1 tsp minced garlic
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 red or green pepper, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1/2 cup  Roux
3 cups shrimp stock
3 cups water
2 Tbsp ketchup OR
1 Tbsp tomato paste and a pinch of sugar
Salt to taste
Tabasco Pepper Sauce to taste
1 bunch green onion tops, chopped

Season shrimp generously with Tony Chachere's Original Seasoning and chill until needed. Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Stir in garlic for about 30 seconds, then add chopped onion, pepper and celery. Saute for about 5 minutes. Add stock and 2 cups water and simmer about 20 minutes. Stir and dissolve Roux into 1 cup tepid water (to avoid lumps), then add this mixture. Stir in ketchup or tomato paste. If you decide to use tomato paste, add a pinch of sugar as well. Continue to simmer until stew starts to thicken. Stir in seasoned shrimp. After about 5 minutes, taste stew and adjust seasoning by adding salt and a few drops of pepper sauce to taste. Simmer an additional minutes. Serve over steamed rice and garnish with green onion tops.
Yields about 6 servings.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 09:31:36 AM »
007bond,

Can you give us the instructions for making the roux? It looks a lot like a mahogany roux, which I have found in the past to be a bit tricky to make without burning.

Thanks.

Peter

Offline 007bond-jb

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza & Beer
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 10:32:09 AM »
1st ya make a roux
1 to 1 ratio all purpose flour to oil,shortning or REAL butter DO NOT USE MARGARINE!!!
use a heavy pot cast iron is best & a metal, wooden or silicone paddle. The paddle needs to have a square end (not rounded or spoonlike)
Cut up all the vegtables onions ect... this has to be done before you start making the roux!!!
Get 2 beers from the fridg chilled to 35degs. & have them close by (this is your timer)
add  the flour & oil to the pot  on med high heat
Stir the pot continuasly do not stop! not even for 5 seconds!
stir the entire bottom of the pot do not miss a any of the pots bottom surface
Don't forget to drink the beers you should be finished by the time the second beer reaches 50 to 55 degs & you have finished drinking it This is called a 2 beer roux.
When your roux is to this color & you have not stopped stiring (VERY IMPORTANT!!)
note: If you did stop stirring throw it out it WILL be burned
Now dump in your vegtables & stir for 10 seconds or untill evenly coated with the roux Your roux will now stop browning & you can get another beer. At this point you can let the vegies saute for a minute or 2 but stir every 20 or 30 seconds add your ROOM TEMP. stock
& water wisk till smooth (if you use hot water you will not be able to get all the lumps out. You just made dumplins)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 12:01:40 PM »
007bond,

Thank you very much. Now all I have to be able to do is drink beer and stir at the same time. :)

Peter

Offline 007bond-jb

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza & Beer
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 12:14:47 PM »
Thank you very much. Now all I have to be able to do is drink beer and stir at the same time.

Peter
 :-DHa Ha good point  :-D I forgot to add if your makin a large batch like over 1 cup flour, 1 cup oil its tough to do 1 handed you got swap hands. My left don't stir to well (being rite handed) I usually end up with some roux on the stove top. I wish I could find a automatic roux maker. those battery operated sauce stirrers won't take the high heat of a roux for long :'(

wordpress