A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Cinnamon Rolls of all kinds  (Read 2903 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
Cinnamon Rolls of all kinds
« on: August 12, 2019, 06:32:35 PM »
The Frontier Restaurant in Albuquerque serves up some delicous cinnamon rolls.  They maybe better classified as a sweet bun, but at any rate come drenched in a sweet buttery syrup.  I have found a knock off recipe that claims it is margerine instead of butter, but for homemade, either works.  For this latest go, I made cinnamon rolls with a Hawaiin sweet roll recipe and iced it with sweetened whipped butter.  Prior to serving, you want to nuke it for 6-7 seconds to melt the whipped butter.  It melts over the bun and drenches it in a surgery buttery syrup.  Truely addicting.  My next go at these will be with a brioche dough.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Cinnamon Rolls of all kinds
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 06:56:59 PM »
Looks amazing, Chau. BTW, Peter Reinhart's sticky bun recipe from his Brother Juniper's Bread Book is the most decadent version I have found of this type of bread:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=10194.msg89323#msg89323

Offline goosta

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 08:50:22 PM »
Looks fantastic! I really miss the cinnamon rolls at Frontier - they are so good.
Ron

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 10:10:47 AM »
Thanks Bill.  I'll have to see if I can find a recipe for that.

Goosta, I bet whipped butter with powdered sugar melted over any cinnamon roll would get you pretty close. :P
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 10:12:42 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar W
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 01:41:33 AM »
Wow! My wife loves cinnamon rolls, I may have to find a recipe!
jeff

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 02:22:30 AM »
I love cinnamon rolls, it is my favorite pastry.  :drool:

They can get too sweet for my taste. I prefer them when they are not glazed or sprinkled with too much sugar. Just becomes too sweet for me. I prefer keeping the sugar on the inside with the cinnamon. Maybe a dab of stirred egg on top to give them a shiny appearance.

A bakery here in Oslo makes sourdough cinnamon rolls. Still sweet, but with a nice tangy flavor. They also make them with apples, blueberries, blackcurrant. See photo below.
Heine
Oven: Effeuno P134H

Offline Hanglow

• The next one will be better
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 07:52:19 AM »
I like them too, I have used  this recipe a few times now  and usually add extra/different things as fillings depending on what I have in the cupboard . ground nuts or mixed spice, soaked raisins/currants etc or grated apple.

https://www.ploetzblog.de/2015/07/18/alm-rezepte-zimtschnecken

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 10:50:41 AM »
I like them too, I have used  this recipe a few times now  and usually add extra/different things as fillings depending on what I have in the cupboard . ground nuts or mixed spice, soaked raisins/currants etc or grated apple.

https://www.ploetzblog.de/2015/07/18/alm-rezepte-zimtschnecken
THAT is a good looking site. Thank you. There is a “translate” button in the lower right corner if anyone else visits this blog. Took me a minute to find it.
-Tony

Offline Hanglow

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 11:07:53 AM »
I have a tab on my browser that links to a google translate page of it.  He has lots of great recipes from the last few years.  I got the site from here actually, I can't remember who posted it.

This is another one with great recipes from austria I think
http://www.homebaking.at/

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.homebaking.at%2F

Offline goosta

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 03:21:52 PM »
Goosta, I bet whipped butter with powdered sugar melted over any cinnamon roll would get you pretty close. :P

I will be giving that a shot! :)
Ron

Offline Trevor

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 04:58:25 PM »
Love the Frontier!  Graduated from UNM and miss the rolls and burritos with green chili!!

:drool:

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2019, 05:37:50 PM »
Here’s a step by step recipe from a NY pastry chef, renowned for her Cinnamon Buns

Full disclosure 😁
The pan she is using is from GreatJones.com, a high end, beautifully designed ,cookware company my youngest daughter and her best friend launched last November.
They had the launch of a lifetime, with articles, features, and coverage in The NY Times, Food and Wine, Forbes, GQ, Goop, Archt Digest, Bon Apetit, and a host of others. They were named to Forbes 30 under 30.
They count David Chang and the Sweetgreen founders among their investors, and mentors.

https://greatjonesgoods.com/blogs/great-ones/natasha-pickowicz-is-the-queen-of-sticky-buns

Perry

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2019, 08:46:26 AM »
Cool story, Perry. Congratulations on your daughter’s success.
-Tony

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2020, 10:13:06 AM »
Perry, congratulations, those pans look excellent and the story about the young pastry chef was interesting.  I was unable to find the recipe you mentioned.  I would love to see it if there is a way.  I probably am just not seeing a link somewhere to click on.

Nevertheless,  this thread got me excited to make them so I tried the sourdough recipe on the King Arthur site. https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sourdough-cinnamon-buns-recipe
I used the icing recipe from here because I liked the idea of a cream cheese frosting.
https://www.baking-sense.com/2019/02/12/sourdough-cinnamon-buns/
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 10:16:09 AM by scott r »

Offline Hanglow

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2020, 08:47:20 AM »
I made some more today too.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2020, 10:42:38 AM »
I made some more today too.
I’m glad to see this (they look great) because I just read yesterday Europeans think we are rubes for putting icing on cinnamon rolls.
-Tony

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2020, 10:56:57 AM »
European pastries are much, much less sweet than they are here.
Instagram @hans_michigan.

"The most important element of pizza is the dough. Pizza is bread after all. Bread with toppings." -Brian Spangler

"Ultimately, pizza is a variety of condiments on top of bread. If I wanted to evolve, I figured out that I had to understand bread and first make the best bread I possibly could. Only then could my pizza evolve as well." Dan Richer

Offline MadMatt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2020, 06:05:56 PM »
I’m glad to see this (they look great) because I just read yesterday Europeans think we are rubes for putting icing on cinnamon rolls.

Not in the UK we love our icing on buns   ;D

But you will find some higher end artisan bakery that don't put icing on I'm sure US is the same

Cinnamon rolls, or buns aren't quite as popular here.  We have our chelsea buns, belgian buns (nothing to do with belgium) 

Belgian buns tend to be made with sultanas, they have a lemony substance inside most recipes just call to use lemon curd. They are
finished with white icing and a glace cherry.

Chelsea buns I've seen quite a variety.. they aren't typically iced, but instead they put   coarse sugar, or sometimes mini sugar cubes over them. They're usually brushed with some sugar syrup out the oven, or even honey.

They  use a mix of fruits, and spices   but its not a requirement to  have spice.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 06:28:15 PM by MadMatt »

Offline MadMatt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2020, 04:15:49 PM »
I decided to make some cinnamon rolls myself but used my own recipe

Unlike most recipes, I put zero butter or oil in the dough itself.
I used 2 eggs for about 550g of flour.  It made 16 rolls.

I used the tangzong water roux method to try get a softer texture and keep them moist for longer.

I used only water,  zero milk simply because I couldn't get much milk at the store last time I went and want to conserve it.   :-D   I have made breads with milk before, and its nice but you can make do without.

My reasoning behind not using butter in the dough like most recipes,  is    with the sugar/butter/cinnamon filling it seaps out into the dough when cooking kind of like my pan pizzas where I realised putting oil in the dough wasn't worth it when there's a galon at the bottom of the pan.

I haven't been able to get any confectioners sugar in stores for months  :o so I had to go light on the frosting that was just milk, a bit of butter and vanilla flavouring.   :o

I made mine far apart so they're round rather than square and have a crust.   I freeze some of them, which wouldn't work well if they were too gooey and slathered with certain frostings.  The frosting freezes well while soemthing like cream cheese wouldn't work so good.

I defrost the rolls then microwave for 10-15 second its like new.  Always best slightly warm imo

« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 04:17:57 PM by MadMatt »

Offline CobaltHex

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2020, 04:22:27 PM »
I recently made a recipe of my own in my newly minted detroit pizza pan:
recipe here: https://pastebin.com/JP4FSzVc

delicious and only about 1k calories a bite!