A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pasta Carbonara- A new rabbit hole  (Read 6315 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Pasta Carbonara- A new rabbit hole
« on: January 15, 2022, 01:47:06 PM »
This is, perhaps, the best food video I have ever seen. Do some of the concepts remind you of pizza?

I make my own fresh pasta, mostly for ravioli. I don't think I've ever made "fresh" dried pasta. Should be fun.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

• Supporting Member
Re: Pasta YouTube Video - A new rabbit hole for me
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 02:25:44 PM »
Very good video except the commercial. Are you using a machine or hand Crank pasta roller?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 02:33:49 PM »
This is my plan for Monday

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 02:37:40 PM »
I use this for small batches of fresh pasta. It is interesting that the chef in the video sources his spaghetti from a factory - possibly because it might be too labor-intensive to do in-house for the volumes he sells. I'm optimistic that for single servings, like for a quick lunch, the little hand-crank machine I have will suffice. (You don't want to know what I have in my arsenal for making pasta.  ;D )

Offline Pizza_Not_War

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2022, 02:42:19 PM »
I do want to know as I want to buy a pasta maker for daughter.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 03:31:32 PM »
I do want to know as I want to buy a pasta maker for daughter.

You have a lucky daughter! What is her primary use case? Small batches, large batches, shapes, etc? If she is a beginner, this video is a great place to start. This is the way I now make fresh egg pasta. She also has a video for making semolina-based pasta, which I'm going to follow for this thread.

The pasta roller Rennie uses could be a great place to start for your daughter. I have the following pasta making tools:

1. Small no-name hand-crank model shown in the photo above. It has 10 brass dies for different shapes. Good for small batches. Not good for egg pasta.

2. Chitarra pasta cutter - cuts sheets into two different size strands. I don't use it so much anymore after learning how Rennie cuts pasta in the above video.

3. Electric sheeter. I primarily use it for croissants, danish dough, puff pastry, etc. but it does a great job on pasta. And also Sonoran flour tortillas.

4. Electric ramen noodle kneader/sheeter/cutter. Don't get me started on the joys of homemade ramen noodles. That is a very deep rabbit hole.

5. A pasta drying rack.

6. A hand-cranked machine for making cavatelli, gnocchi, and orecchiette

... and bunch of other stuff I never use anymore that I should clear out.

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2022, 05:51:00 PM »
This is, perhaps, the best food video I have ever seen. Do some of the concepts remind you of pizza?

Learning the concept of "risottare la pasta", as alluded to in the video, was the single greatest game-changer for me in learning about pasta.  Searching for obscure brands of Italian dry pasta has also been as much of an obsession as my pursuit of Italian 00 flours.  Honestly, I don't find that much of a difference among the better brands of bronze-extruded pasta, but, as a category, they are all noticeably better than most of the mass-produced commercial brands.  For equipment, I have an Imperia home model but have always lusted after the Imperia R220 or the equivalent from Marcato Atlas.  Another great pasta extruder is the bigolaro from the Veneto Region:

https://blog.fantes.com/bigolaro/

Rolls
Parmigiano-Reggiano doesn't come in a green box!   - Chef Jean-Pierre

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2022, 05:56:51 PM »
That bigolaro looks perfect - much better than the little hand-cranked machine I have. Must....not....buy! Whew, that was close. 

Offline Pizza_Not_War

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2022, 07:20:54 PM »
Those little hand cranked machines are surprisingly pricey. It looks like the poppy seed mill I bought a long time ago and used once.

Daughter wants to make ravioli, which we have done before with just a rolling pin. She likes them but I know that the dough is too thick.

I recall watching that video last year before we made raviolis. Was very helpful then.

Offline barryvabeach

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2022, 08:57:39 PM »
For ravioli,  the smaller hand cranked machine would work fine, I prefer italian brands like imperia and Marcato.  A plus is getting one with an electric motar attachment, they can be noisy, but let you use two hands to feed and catch the pasta,  without the motor, it really helps to have a third hand.  You can usually find one of the hand cranked machines used for not much money, though the motors are harder to find.  The Imperia 220 is quite expensive  ( I have the hand cranked version ) and not only does it make a wider sheet, it stands much higher and with the infeed shelf, you don't need 3 hands.

If she wanted to make certain shapes, then an extruder would be a better choice.  The Phillips Advance is prefered by many.  I am not a fan of the electronic program ( when you turn it on, it mixes for a set time, then extrudes for a set time - I like tho older machines that have a switch that you hit to change from mixing to extruding )  One advantage of the Phillips is that there is a company   Pastaidea,  https://pastidea.com/en/  that makes bronze dies, and an adapter, so you can use bronze dies on the Phillips.    Again, they can get pretty expensive quick, though there are some users that have tons of dies.   https://www.facebook.com/groups/767285674024266
Current Ovens  -  BS, Halo Versa 16
Mixers .   Electrolux ( ANK ) ,  Bosch Compact, IM-5S
Mills - Retsel, Lee .

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2022, 09:22:08 PM »
You have a lucky daughter! What is her primary use case? Small batches, large batches, shapes, etc? If she is a beginner, this video is a great place to start. This is the way I now make fresh egg pasta. She also has a video for making semolina-based pasta, which I'm going to follow for this thread.

The pasta roller Rennie uses could be a great place to start for your daughter. I have the following pasta making tools:

1. Small no-name hand-crank model shown in the photo above. It has 10 brass dies for different shapes. Good for small batches. Not good for egg pasta.

2. Chitarra pasta cutter - cuts sheets into two different size strands. I don't use it so much anymore after learning how Rennie cuts pasta in the above video.

3. Electric sheeter. I primarily use it for croissants, danish dough, puff pastry, etc. but it does a great job on pasta. And also Sonoran flour tortillas.

4. Electric ramen noodle kneader/sheeter/cutter. Don't get me started on the joys of homemade ramen noodles. That is a very deep rabbit hole.

5. A pasta drying rack.

6. A hand-cranked machine for making cavatelli, gnocchi, and orecchiette

... and bunch of other stuff I never use anymore that I should clear out.

She, the woman in the video, lost me at "worst than the dry stuff that is sold in a box". Both fresh and dry have their place.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2022, 10:35:49 PM »
This was so much fun and easy. These will dry for a few days  75F 70%rh. Will cook up Pico Aglio E Olio per Marc Vetri.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2022, 11:19:40 PM »
He uses garum... that's gonna be really good!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2022, 11:30:56 PM »
He uses garum... that's gonna be really good!

Got garum!

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2022, 11:49:34 PM »
Yes, semolina definitely has a flavor, and that's why I keep it my flour arsenal for pizza dough when I feel like using it. It's a very underrated grain in America, I think.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2022, 09:14:36 AM »
This was so much fun and easy. These will dry for a few days  75F 70%rh. Will cook up Pico Aglio E Olio per Marc Vetri.

At first I thought you were making an Aglio e Olio with a pico de gallo salsa, which seemed odd, but now realize you're making pici, lol.  Curious to see how it turns out. Love the rough texture from the die (or are they hand rolled??). 

Rolls
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 09:16:52 AM by Rolls »
Parmigiano-Reggiano doesn't come in a green box!   - Chef Jean-Pierre

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2022, 10:30:59 AM »
At first I thought you were making an Aglio e Olio with a pico de gallo salsa, which seemed odd, but now realize you're making pici, lol.  Curious to see how it turns out. Love the rough texture from the die (or are they hand rolled??). 

Rolls

Ha! I'm open to unusual pairings, but that sounds pretty gross. These were extruded through the brass die.

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar W
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2022, 09:37:13 PM »
thought y’all might enjoy this podcast, chosen as one of the best of 2021 by the nyt, it’s about the author’s quest to create a new pasta shape:

https://www.sporkful.com/tag/pasta-shapes/

best,
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 10:27:15 PM by quietdesperation »
jeff

Offline ARenko

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2022, 10:31:01 PM »
I follow Luciano's recipe for Carbonara that he demonstrates on Italia Squisita YT channel.  Good stuff.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2022, 02:09:47 AM »
Okay Bill, you officially suck for starting this thread!😬 You got me very itchy on that brass Bigolaro press. Been awhile since I got my pasta groove on. For ravioli I love this
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/manual-12-count-ravioli-mold-dough-press/71457665.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=Cj0KCQiAoY-PBhCNARIsABcz772f-k5nBZT3znsp0ifTDKIKqOObq21A_cjan52VkqhwdvblhmFX730aAiPYEALw_wcB 
Also have the Atlas roller/cutter press, cavetelli maker, chitarra, my Breville food processor is my mixer........Sounds like we got along the same line of pasta toys, but no extruder on this end.......yet!!!! What do you know about the Bigolaro?.........you still suck!😉🤣
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

wordpress