A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Semolina the cause of my scorched flavor?  (Read 430 times)

Offline renchero

• Still learning and loving every minute of it
Semolina the cause of my scorched flavor?
« on: January 15, 2018, 04:23:39 PM »
Hey all,

I watched a video on how to use the Pizza Party.  In it, he said to use semolina on the peel.  I haven't kept proper records but I think it was right around then that I started using semolina on the peel for my neapolitan pizzas.  Well I'm having an issue.  The bottoms of my dough is getting scorched.  Little blisters of burn holes are appearing on the bottom of the dough.  My PP isn't even that hot.  I got the temp up to 850 F and the floor at 850 F as well.  Here's what I used in my dough.  Anna Napoletana Tipo 00 Extra Fine flour, IDY, Salt, Water.  No sugar at all.

I also checked on the flour and the only ingredient is wheat.  http://maxhansenkitchen.com/blog/anna-napoletana-tipo-00-extra-fine-flour-for-pizza-making/

The semolina i used to spread on the peel was Bob's Red Mill. 

And here's the thing too. I smelt that burning almost immediately after sliding the pie into the oven.  Now I like a nice charring flavor but this wasn't charring.  This was BURNT flavor.  So I thought that maybe it was the semolina and I used for the next pizza an AP flour (w/o malt).  The scorching was almost gone but I could still taste a bit of it.  I also swept the bricks of the PP between bakes too thinking that maybe some of the semolina residue would cause the flavor by sticking to the bottom of the dough. 

Any ideas?  I really think I'm doing it right but there's just something that isn't happening correctly. 

Here's the scorched pizza.  Sorry - I didn't get pics of the bottom. 

is the link to the video.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Semolina the cause of my scorched flavor?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 04:38:23 PM »
Which floor tiles do you have in your PP?

This Fidel's profile here if you want to read his posts and learn more about what he does: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=20901
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline renchero

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 04:57:56 PM »
I know I didn't request the Saputo ones so I'm pretty sure I have the default refractory bricks that come with the base PP 70x70.  I looked up the details of my order but all it said was "Box Offer "Pizza" Red color".  I ordered the kit that came with all the accessories which they don't sell anymore on their site.   I'm not sure if you can tell just by looking at the bricks but here's a pic of my oven. 

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 05:23:07 PM »
Yes, those are the standard tiles. 850F, is probably getting close to the upper end for them, but it's very manageable using the "doming" technique that you saw Fidel use in his video. I've always used flour, so I'm not really sure how much of a problem semolina is, if any. You might try a night where you only use flour and see if you are still having problems.

When it comes to doming, dome a little sooner than you think you need to.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 05:28:53 PM »
Do you think you may be using an excessive amount?

Suggestion for you to consider:  I have found rice flour to be difficult to burn/very neutral in the WFO and you do not need to use much.
I actually mix it 50/50 with semolina after reading a post here somewhere.  But, the truth is that I do the mix out of habit and it seems to work well....
Mitch

ďWe hate math,Ē says 4 in 10 Ė a majority of Americans

Offline renchero

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 08:08:40 PM »
Craig: ahhh. I didnít know that those bricks had a temp range. That is good info to know!  Iíll try a lower temp and keep the semolina (maybe add some of that rice flour too in the mix) and see how that goes. Pizzas will take a little longer but like Fidel did, Iíll dome it.

Mitchjg: Rice flour huh?  I use that in my proofing basket for my bread so Iíve got that already in the pantry.

Thanks guys!

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 08:12:46 PM »
Craig: ahhh. I didnít know that those bricks had a temp range. That is good info to know!  Iíll try a lower temp and keep the semolina (maybe add some of that rice flour too in the mix) and see how that goes. Pizzas will take a little longer but like Fidel did, Iíll dome it.

I'd keep the temperature up and dome it for a longer portion of the bake. I'm guessing something like 20 seconds on the floor and the rest in the dome. Dome it just before the bottom looks nicely done as it too will continue to darken as you dome. I've worked in ovens where you had to dome the pie the moment the crust had set up enough to be lifted.

Offline renchero

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 08:29:49 PM »
Wow. Incredible the amount of variables in WFOís. This is my first wood fired oven so Iím still learning. Thanks again. Iíll try those options.

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 12:15:04 PM »
My guess is that the semolina from previous fires are not what you are tasting. I would assume any residue has burnt of the tiles with recent firings.

Shouldnít be a need to use semolina launching pizza in that oven. Iíve also made semolina bread in my Pizza Party with no lasting burnt tastes in next pizza bakes

Online amolapizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 06:50:39 AM »
I don't have a wood fired oven, but a effeuno p134h.  I'm still learning the ropes, but imo 850 is already a respectable temperature, and things go fast...:)

One thing I've learnt quickly is that flour burns, so I try to make sure that there is no extra flour on the bottom of the pie..  One thing I do is to let the balls rise on a wooden cutting board, this leads to quite a dry bottom which means I need to use less benching flour.  I also use a wooden peel to launch the pizzas, with a bit of practice it's quite easy to get the pizza on the peel and into the oven without using hardly any flour on the bottom.

wordpress