A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Interesting error, SD based, 3.5 day cold, forgot salt...cooked anyway (sorta)  (Read 665 times)

Offline cwood

Realized only after 2 days in the fridge that I forgot the salt.  Figured I would see what happens.
I figured the rise would be out of control by comparison but it was not much different than with salt.....even seemed less?
Handled and stretched ok, maybe a bit too easily.
Launched ok but absolutely flee apart with the turning peel!!  Just had zero integrity on the bottom.  So strange. (Karu 16 @850)
Tested for taste after getting some out of the oven.   Tasted very bland as expected.
Was really surprised at how it didn't over proof and somehow was structurally so bad.

Online QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
Realized only after 2 days in the fridge that I forgot the salt.  Figured I would see what happens.
I figured the rise would be out of control by comparison but it was not much different than with salt.....even seemed less?
Handled and stretched ok, maybe a bit too easily.
Launched ok but absolutely flee apart with the turning peel!!  Just had zero integrity on the bottom.  So strange. (Karu 16 @850)
Tested for taste after getting some out of the oven.   Tasted very bland as expected.
Was really surprised at how it didn't over proof and somehow was structurally so bad.

I mean, it doesn't surprise me at all that it was structurally bad. Not in the least. :D

Offline cwood

But why? due to over proofing?  It certainly didn't over grow.

Online QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
Salt stengthens gluten. Ever see those guys that do the competitive pizza tossing? Their dough is super high in salt. Makes the dough super strong.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

• Supporting Member
I forgot the salt recently in a batch, remembered the next day and added the salt and kneaded the dough for a few minutes. Wasn't my best but still worked out ok.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
I've forgotten the salt or yeast a few times, this works great! Cut/tear the dough into golf ballish pieces, dissolve forgotten ingredient into a couple teaspoons of water, add to dough pieces and remix. Works awesomely!!!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline cwood

I've forgotten the salt or yeast a few times, this works great! Cut/tear the dough into golf ballish pieces, dissolve forgotten ingredient into a couple teaspoons of water, add to dough pieces and remix. Works awesomely!!!
Well thats amazing!  Will give that a try next time....if there is one.

Offline daveinhampton

• I Love Pizza!
How much does the type of salt influence the texture? Would you get wildly different results using some coarse Mediterranean sea salt versus say, the pink Himalayan stuff, due to chemical differences?

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
How much does the type of salt influence the texture? Would you get wildly different results using some coarse Mediterranean sea salt versus say, the pink Himalayan stuff, due to chemical differences?

No.
Instagram @hans_michigan.

"The most important element of pizza is the dough. Pizza is bread after all. Bread with toppings." -Brian Spangler

"Ultimately, pizza is a variety of condiments on top of bread. If I wanted to evolve, I figured out that I had to understand bread and first make the best bread I possibly could. Only then could my pizza evolve as well." Dan Richer

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
daveinhampton,

I agree with Hans. I perhaps should add that when we created the dough calculating tools years ago, we allowed users to specify the brand of coarse salts (e.g., the Morton's and Diamond Crystal brands of Kosher salt), as well as regular/fine sea salt. When the tools were recreated after Flash was no longer being supported, those choices remained the same, as can be seen in the replacement calculator at:

https://pizza-dough-calculator.herokuapp.com/calculator

The above said, when using a coarse salt, it is usually a good idea to dissolve the salt in the water if the dough is to be mixed by hand. Otherwise, the salt can simply be added to the water used in a dough recipe. The late Tom Lehmann opined on this matter in his post at Reply 1 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=64724.msg635318;topicseen#msg635318

Peter

Online QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
I use a fairly coarse salt here at work. Cheapest salt I can get from my supplier. It's labeled like bakers salt or something like that. Definitely not table salt. I just add it to my water like Tom always recommended. Zero problems.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Peter can correct me if I am wrong here, but by weight, salt is salt with minimal variation amongst types and coarseness. But by volume is the bigger variable due to size of granules. Weight is ALWAYS the best option, and it goes without saying, steer away from anything iodized or anticaking fillers that can affect taste and texture......my 2c.
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Peter can correct me if I am wrong here, but by weight, salt is salt with minimal variation amongst types and coarseness. But by volume is the bigger variable due to size of granules. Weight is ALWAYS the best option, and it goes without saying, steer away from anything iodized or anticaking fillers that can affect taste and texture......my 2c.
Jon,

When we created the dough calculating tools, we wanted to allow members to be able to use the salts that they might have had on hand. Also, sometimes recipes they wanted to try called for specific salts. I don't recall exactly how we converted teaspoons of the various salts to grams, but a teaspoon of the Diamond Crystal Kosher salt weighed less than a teaspoon of the Morton's Kosher salt, and both weighed less than a teaspoon of table or sea salt. Because of the variations, members would have to test different amounts of the salts they had on hand to get the best results.

Peter

Online QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
Always weigh it.  :chef: