A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Mozza-inspired Pizza for Home Ovens  (Read 40900 times)

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
Re: Mozza-inspired Pizza for Home Ovens
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2015, 11:26:37 AM »
This is my 2nd round with Craig's dough. Don't have any barley malt syrup or spelt so I replaced the syrup with brown sugar and the spelt with whole wheat flour. I added the whole wheat to the preferment this time. Not enough experience with this dough to know if that was dumb or not.
Trying to reduce my bench flour and had some sticking that turned this one into a football. Just got my pizza stone and I feel like I am starting over, all the experimenting I did in my perforated pizza pan seems to have gone out the window. I just tried the broiler method for the first time and this was a 2-3 minute pie versus my usual 8-10 minute pie. Had to pull or it was gonna burn. Wow! Gonna skip the sweetener in my next batch as my oven seems to be cooking very hot. The temperature control is messed up, for example if I turn it to 200 it will be at 450 degrees. At 550 my hanging thermometer only reads to 600 so no idea what temp the actual stone or oven is.
the proof is in the pizza

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2015, 12:04:48 PM »
Looks good. I can't wait to try this recipe. I have the spelt, just waiting on syrup to arrive from Amazon! Barley Malt Syrup was hard to find around here...
Hans

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2015, 12:07:47 PM »
You don't need fancy or expensive flour to make great pizza.

Could't agree more. It's the indian, not the arrow  ;)
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2015, 03:55:00 PM »
Craig, you should add your Mozza recipe to the Dough Generator if you are near the final draft of it. Just bought some spelt to give it a try

jon
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2015, 04:15:13 PM »
Also, is it really only 2% spelt, for 225 g of flour that would only be 5ish grams of spelt right?
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2015, 04:41:13 PM »
Also, is it really only 2% spelt, for 225 g of flour that would only be 5ish grams of spelt right?

Yeah, that would put you at 4.5 g.
I did 353g of flour with 7g whole wheat cause I don't have spelt.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2015, 04:53:05 PM »
Good then, the poolish is a poolin', tomorrow morning I will toss in the rest and fire up the BS tomorrow nite!

jon
Jon

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2015, 05:38:19 PM »
Yeah, that would put you at 4.5 g.
I did 353g of flour with 7g whole wheat cause I don't have spelt.

Yes, that's right.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2015, 05:39:19 PM »
This is my 2nd round with Craig's dough. Don't have any barley malt syrup or spelt so I replaced the syrup with brown sugar and the spelt with whole wheat flour.

I'd use rye flour before whole wheat - for that matter I'd leave it out before I'd use whole wheat. I'd also probably use white sugar rather than brown.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2015, 06:36:47 PM »
I'd use rye flour before whole wheat - for that matter I'd leave it out before I'd use whole wheat. I'd also probably use white sugar rather than brown.

Forget the whole wheat, it would be a totally different taste.  I thought the rye was nice, but I'd keep it in the 2% range.  On the other hand, I preferred the spelt, taste wise.  I used 3%, but would consider bumping it up to 5%.  To my tastes, the spelt doesn't have as strong a flavor as the rye.  Everyone's tastes are different…...

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2015, 07:01:09 PM »
Spelt is the right flour for this recipe. It's an incredible pizza.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2015, 07:18:28 PM »
I'm sure it tastes even better than it looks...and it looks unbelievable!

You specify AP flour rather than BF or HG..this is to keep the protein lower and the pie softer? In the absence of KAAP, is it safe to guess another brand might work also? I have my spelt standing by  :)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2015, 07:23:13 PM »
GM or any other decent AP would be fine. Bread flour would work too; I just like AP a little bit better for most pizza.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2015, 07:25:17 PM »
Could't agree more. It's the indian, not the arrow  ;)

If I was teaching pizzamaking, I wouldn't let you use anything except AP until you could make a great pie with it. IMO, that's how you learn the fundamentals that lead to great pizza.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2015, 07:27:48 PM »
Great, thanks..I see the HR mentioned at 72 and 75. Which do you find best at this point....do you prefer the texture of one over the other?

I was a good Jr Pie Boy---I  started with AP..for quite a while :)

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2015, 07:39:14 PM »
Great, thanks..I see the HR mentioned at 72 and 75. Which do you find best at this point....do you prefer the texture of one over the other?

I was a good Jr Pie Boy---I  started with AP..for quite a while :)

I really liked this dough, so I'm going to keep butting in.  72- 75? It depends.  I live a 5280 ft and it is dry as a bone.  Craig is down there in some humid hell hole.  Try (72+75)/2 = 73.5, and report back…...

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2015, 07:51:26 PM »
Will do...Thanks!

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2015, 11:46:31 PM »

Thanks Craig, I do have dark rye flour on hand, but not light. Would that still be applicable or should I omit it? When you were talking about how much better the spelt was than rye I thought I better skip the rye, and whole wheat was the only other flour I had. I might get a small bag of spelt to try. At 2 percent it would last a long time. I see Bobs Red Mill has organic spelt berries which i could grind fresh in the Blendtec.

My usage of brown sugar stemmed from seeing folks use molasses in pizza. I don't have any so I assumed the slight bit of molasses in the brown sugar may contribute to a little more coloration. I guess it's a habit I formed when I first started doing pizzas and had trouble getting color.

Re: flour, I try and stock up when the mexican market has KAAP for .99 cents for the 2lb bag.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2015, 09:00:07 AM »
I'd suggest trying the rye. Dark is fine. I think that's what Mozza uses.

I didn't know there was such a thing as KAAP in a 2# bag?

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2015, 10:28:25 AM »
Sweet, I'll be giving that a go soon with the rye flour.

Re: KAAP, Maybe they discontinued it and that's why it was only $1. They have it on the KA website but it shows out of stock. It seems like they only sell the organic flour in the 2 lb bag now.