Pages:
Actions
  • #21 by TXCraig1 on 27 Jan 2015
  • This one has 2% dark rye (+98% KAAP)  and 1% honey. For kicks and grins, I took a couple balls to my friends restaurant where he runs a 725F oven.  Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my camera. I didn't like the honey in the dough.
  • #22 by Jackitup on 27 Jan 2015
  • How do you think diastatic malt powder or syrup would play in there? Thinking of getting some myself to try out in some breads and pies. I know some are liking it
  • #23 by Chicago Bob on 27 Jan 2015

•   She's a beauty C and I know you are just getting started on this.

Here is a pic from a place that touts the "wood fired oven experience" here in town. Flat crap that can't even touch your home oven deal. They were just voted Durhams #1 pizza. The pleated khaki pants crowd in this town are clueless. They need you, bad.  ;D

http://www.yelp.com/biz/pizzeria-toro-durham

• #24 by TXCraig1 on 27 Jan 2015
  • That's kind of scary.
  • #25 by TXCraig1 on 28 Jan 2015
  • How do you think diastatic malt powder or syrup would play in there? Thinking of getting some myself to try out in some breads and pies. I know some are liking it

Malt syrup is next on my list to try. Who knows, I might even break down and try DM.  :-[
  • #26 by PizzaManic on 28 Jan 2015
  • I read a saying that goes something like this - it's the hand that makes the food taste so good so I guess you right in saying you don't need expensive flour to make great Pizza but we need your hand  :-D

Is there any specific reason for using dark rye? Does it influence texture, taste or is it just for colour?

• #27 by deb415611 on 28 Jan 2015
  • Malt syrup is next on my list to try. Who knows, I might even break down and try DM.  :-[

If you want some I can send you some.  I have a lb and will never go through it all.  I have the AB Mauri brand.   Based on the ones I did this weekend I don't think it's going to bring you to where you want with this one but would be worth a try and also might be worth a try in a Johnny's clone.

• #28 by TXCraig1 on 28 Jan 2015
  • Is there any specific reason for using dark rye? Does it influence texture, taste or is it just for colour?

Just to give it a bit of depth of flavor. You really can't see it unless you look hard, and I don't think it's doing anything to the texture.
  • #29 by TXCraig1 on 28 Jan 2015
  • If you want some I can send you some.  I have a lb and will never go through it all.  I have the AB Mauri brand.   Based on the ones I did this weekend I don't think it's going to bring you to where you want with this one but would be worth a try and also might be worth a try in a Johnny's clone.

Thanks Deb, I may take you up on it.
  • #30 by stonecutter on 28 Jan 2015
  •   She's a beauty C and I know you are just getting started on this.

Here is a pic from a place that touts the "wood fired oven experience" here in town. Flat crap that can't even touch your home oven deal. They were just voted Durhams #1 pizza. The pleated khaki pants crowd in this town are clueless. They need you, bad.  ;D

http://www.yelp.com/biz/pizzeria-toro-durham

I would need more than a glass of wine to wash that brick down.
  • #31 by zaafreak on 28 Jan 2015
  • That pizza would get thrown into the back yard for the squirrels to eat.
  • #32 by deb415611 on 28 Jan 2015

• Here is a pic from a place that touts the "wood fired oven experience" here in town. Flat crap that can't even touch your home oven deal. They were just voted Durhams #1 pizza. The pleated khaki pants crowd in this town are clueless. They need you, bad.  ;D

I have seen that pizza in CT too. 
  • #33 by bakerbill on 28 Jan 2015
  • I was looking for the link.  Thank you.

bakerbill
  • #34 by bakerbill on 28 Jan 2015
  • What is RO water?  What do you mean by "remaining water?"  Thanks.

bakerbill
  • #35 by TXCraig1 on 28 Jan 2015
  • What is RO water?  What do you mean by "remaining water?"  Thanks.

bakerbill

RO = Reverse Osmosis (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=20056.0)

Remaining flour and water are the portions of the total flour and water not used in the preferment.
  • #36 by PizzaManic on 29 Jan 2015
  • Does anyone know the Thickness Factor for this formula?
  • #37 by TXCraig1 on 29 Jan 2015
  • Technically, it 0.093 (12.3oz dough / 132.7 in^2), but keep in mind that TF is not a very good tool for comparing different styles. For example, on one end of the spectrum my Johnny's Clone is the same thickness from one edge to the other and thus a small cornicione. This style has a massive cornicione but is very similar to the Johnny's Clone in thickness in the center of the pie.
  • #38 by jsaras on 30 Jan 2015
  • How did you decide on the IDY quantity for the preferment? 
  • #39 by TXCraig1 on 30 Jan 2015
  • How did you decide on the IDY quantity for the preferment?

Pure SWAG.
  • #40 by Mmmph on 30 Jan 2015
Pages:
Actions