A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Which are must try pizza places in Chicago?  (Read 1066 times)

Offline blueeyes0710

• I want to understand it all
Which are must try pizza places in Chicago?
« on: April 06, 2018, 04:11:01 PM »
Hi guys,
I'll be in Chicago next week and I want to visit at least one deep dish and one thin crust place.
Ideally not a chain but a place where I can meet the guy running it for some knowledge exchange.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
"geht nicht" gibt's nicht

Offline renchero

Which are must try pizza places in Chicago?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 07:07:11 PM »
Well I used to live up there but now live in Texas. When I go back up I always go to the Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Co for their pizza pot pie. If you do go, bring cash, they donít accept cards. Also order the chefs salad (mix the two dressings together). Iím not a big salad guy but this thing is glorious.

Then also order the mediterranean bread appetizer as well.

Then for the Pizza, get the white flour crust? Meat sauce and then if you want mushrooms add those too.

Itís a great experience. They open at 4 pm and do not accept reservations. We try to get there AT 4.

Other than that I would say Nancyís Pizza is great for a stuffed pizza (like deep dish except the put a crust on top too). UNOís is still a good solid choice for deep dish. Ginoís east is good (they have a corn bread like crust).

For thin. Go to any corner tavern in the city and you certainly canít go wrong. People have their favorites but I love them all.

Have fun!!

But honestly. Oven grinders is a real wonderful experience.

And about asking the people questions I canít say but Iím sure if you asked some would help. Just tell them that youíre trying to learn and want to know what the best places do. :)
My friends say I am the best pizza maker there is.  But I know better.

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
  • # 1 RATED PIZZERIA IN USA ON YELP
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
Re: Which are must try pizza places in Chicago?
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 08:29:18 PM »
Try Paulie Gee's Logan Square.  Derrick the owner is a member here and a friend.  Walter
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • In Memoriam
  • In Memoriam 12/2020
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 09:17:15 PM »
Nancy's, Gino's, and Uno are the old timers in the Loop area. (Actually north of the Michigan Avenue bridge). Be sure to hit the Billy Goat Inn on Michigan Avenue immediately north of the bridge (west side), SNL made it famous...."cheeseburger, cheeseburger, cheeseburger".
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Qarl

• Exploring the world of pizza, one pie at a time!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 08:57:23 AM »
Pizza, beekeeping, bourbon, banjos, home brewing, cooking in general, sous vide, lever espresso machines, coffee roasting, BBQ, etc.  I love to do it all and learn to make it for myself...

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 12:50:18 AM »
Hey, I'm pretty late to this discussion, but if you're ever in Chicago again, I highly recommend Coalfire on Grand Ave. That's the best pizza I've had in that town, and I've eaten at quite a few places there. It's definitely not typical of the pizza style of that town, but it's outstanding.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

wordpress