A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Hermit's Pizza Fare  (Read 43370 times)

Online Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • I make do with what I have
Re: Hermit's Pizza Fare
« Reply #840 on: January 08, 2018, 08:33:16 PM »
Last dough from the batch, a 4 day 12" NY style, topped with 3.5oz of NY style sauce, a big pinch of parmesan, then 4.5oz of cubed frigo LMPS mozz, baked on screen in center rack at 450F w/convection for 12min, rotated mid way through bake.  Finished with some more parmesan.

I am thinking I should have left the DMP out or use a bit less.  It didnt play as nicely as I remember with the CF, it was almost a little bitter instead of sweet.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #841 on: January 08, 2018, 11:24:42 PM »
Good looking pie there Hermit!

I haven't had good luck with DMP and extended ferments.

Online Hermit

• Supporting Member
« Reply #842 on: January 13, 2018, 09:02:15 PM »
16" NY style, 2 day CF, reballed 6H prior to bake and RT rise.  Topped with 6.5oz sauce, parmesan, 8.5oz of cubed frigo LMPS mozz.  Baked center rack on screen at 475F with convection for 12m.  Had my slice with a side of meat and marinara.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #843 on: January 13, 2018, 10:39:00 PM »
That's a real nice looking pie right there! Nice melt too!

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #844 on: January 13, 2018, 10:53:47 PM »
That's a real nice looking pie right there! Nice melt too!

+1  !  Very nice.   :chef:
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #845 on: January 13, 2018, 11:08:05 PM »
That's a real nice looking pie right there!

^^^ I'm a bit late, but I just saw the pie you posted on Jan 8th. The slice picture looks absolutely perfect to me!
Matt

Online Hermit

• Supporting Member
« Reply #846 on: January 14, 2018, 10:16:06 AM »
Thanks!  Outside of the bubbles in the middle of the pie from the reballing it turned out really good.  Not sure what I think about RT dough now, it really is sub par IMO.  2 days is about as early of a CF as I prefer.

Online Hermit

• Supporting Member
« Reply #847 on: January 14, 2018, 11:21:54 AM »
I should have mentioned the recipe for that dough.  58% hyd, bread flour, 1.5% salt, 2% evoo, 2% honey, 0.2% dmp 60 lintner, 0.1TF

Online Hermit

• Supporting Member
« Reply #848 on: January 15, 2018, 09:57:04 PM »
My stepson came up so we made a pizza.  4 day CF NY style dough 0.1TF.  Reballed the dough when I took it out of the fridge 8H prior to bake.  16" skin topped with 7oz NY style sauce (tried a little MAE on the seasoning this time, it helped I think), parmesan on the sauce, 8.5oz of diced frigo LMPS mozz, a bunch of sliced pepperoni and genoa salami, banana peppers on half.  Baked at 450F for 13m on screen center rack with convection.  No rotate but I did have to open the door to pop some obnoxious bubbles.  Flavor was what I would expect on 4 day, this is the sweet spot IMO.  Got a nice crisp on the crust, sauce was really good with 1/4 tsp of black pepper/garlic powder/oregano about 2 tsp of EVOO and a pinch of sugar.  Those S&W WP tomatoes from costco *thumbs up*, they just need a little salt and they're great.

Offline psedillo

• Supporting Member
« Reply #849 on: January 15, 2018, 10:41:45 PM »
My stepson came up so we made a pizza.  4 day CF NY style dough 0.1TF.  Reballed the dough when I took it out of the fridge 8H prior to bake.  16" skin topped with 7oz NY style sauce (tried a little MAE on the seasoning this time, it helped I think), parmesan on the sauce, 8.5oz of diced frigo LMPS mozz, a bunch of sliced pepperoni and genoa salami, banana peppers on half.  Baked at 450F for 13m on screen center rack with convection.  No rotate but I did have to open the door to pop some obnoxious bubbles.  Flavor was what I would expect on 4 day, this is the sweet spot IMO.  Got a nice crisp on the crust, sauce was really good with 1/4 tsp of black pepper/garlic powder/oregano about 2 tsp of EVOO and a pinch of sugar.  Those S&W WP tomatoes from costco *thumbs up*, they just need a little salt and they're great.

That's an impressive pie. I am intrigued with a it baked for 13 minutes at 450. I've never used the convection on my oven, do you find that it makes a difference when doing pizza?

Online Hermit

• Supporting Member
« Reply #850 on: January 15, 2018, 10:57:26 PM »
Thanks psedillo!  I started using it when I was making pies with lots of wet toppings like a deluxe to help dry out the top of the pie.  I haven't really looked back so I can't comment much on using the oven w/o convection.  I generally bake all my screen/stone pizzas with convection, and long bakes like chicago deep dish I will do standard bake.

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #851 on: January 16, 2018, 01:36:17 AM »
I like using convection on mine, balances the top and bottom bake times for me anyway, gets that 'brown' on the cheese evenly, still need to rotate a bit and never walk away, almost over did mine tonite!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Online Hermit

• Supporting Member
« Reply #852 on: January 16, 2018, 04:59:43 PM »
This probably sounds crazy to many here but I get way better texture and performance top and bottom using a screen in center rack with convection versus a stone with the same method.  I'm a screenie!

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #853 on: January 16, 2018, 06:09:57 PM »
This probably sounds crazy to many here but I get way better texture and performance top and bottom using a screen in center rack with convection versus a stone with the same method.  I'm a screenie!
Do you notice a flavor difference though? I get great all around performance on a screen, too, but the flavor to me is inferior to one cooked on a surface.

Online Hermit

• Supporting Member
« Reply #854 on: January 16, 2018, 06:17:51 PM »
Do you notice a flavor difference though? I get great all around performance on a screen, too, but the flavor to me is inferior to one cooked on a surface.

Yes, from what I can tell the flavor is better as I get a nice even browning on the bottom side of the pie whereas on my stone there are pale spots which usually tastes bland to me.  This dough was 4 day CF with DMP so it was bringing some really complex flavors.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #855 on: January 17, 2018, 01:38:20 AM »

The screens work really well with convection, I wish I had convection in my oven. Plenty of other convection appliances  :-D
Seems to really help get the sauce boiling and wick moisture from veggie toppings!

This looks like a very solid pie! Are you using those #10 cans of S&W? Saw those recently, been wanting to try some in pasta sauce but sounds like a good pie sauce base too! S&W tomatoes are usually quite good I think. They just don't sell whole peeled in a 28 oz can around me only diced.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 01:40:12 AM by invertedisdead »

Online Hermit

• Supporting Member
« Reply #856 on: January 17, 2018, 04:55:48 PM »
This looks like a very solid pie! Are you using those #10 cans of S&W? Saw those recently, been wanting to try some in pasta sauce but sounds like a good pie sauce base too! S&W tomatoes are usually quite good I think. They just don't sell whole peeled in a 28 oz can around me only diced.

Thanks Ryan, this was one of my better tasting pies, think showing CF some love was worth the wait =)

Yep, they are the 10# cans at costco about $2.99 I think.  I make a really good marinara with a whole can using a NY times recipe, low ingredient sauce so the tomatoes really shine.  I pretty much dropped SM tomatoes except for special occassions.  I'm too cheap!

Shame on only diced, I bet that still makes a nice sauce though.  I've had good results using diced before.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 04:57:41 PM by Hermit »

Online Hermit

• Supporting Member
« Reply #857 on: January 17, 2018, 05:05:14 PM »
I guess I graduated.  I get home for lunch and see the wife has bought us a new mixer.  I can't believe it still, I didn't ask for it  ???  but I am thankful!

Online Hermit

• Supporting Member
« Reply #858 on: January 18, 2018, 12:42:05 AM »
Made up some doughs this morning before the new mixer that surprised me.  Whipped up a couple small NY pies, 12", 3.5 oz NY style sauce, parmesan on sauce then 5oz diced frigo LMPS mozz and sliced boars head genoa salami and pepperoni.  Nanna peppers on one.  Both baked for 10m at 475F center rack on screen w/convection.

Online fugo

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #859 on: January 18, 2018, 08:57:02 AM »
Hermit,

Make sure to heed the advice to only hand wash the dough hook and paddle. Otherwise, they will oxidize.  Ended up buying a coated dough hook for mine.
Doug