A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: A Few Dough Issues: Burning Crust and Dough Ball Fermentation Problem  (Read 266 times)

Offline dreake

• I Love Pizza!
I know that the last thread on here by Samson is very similar to my issue potentially, but I didn't get a lot of clarity from that thread. I have attached several photos documenting an issue that I sometimes have with the baking steel burning the bottom of the crust well before the top of the pizza is done. I don't understand how this could be due to temp, because pro deck ovens are often kept at ~750 degrees and the bottoms cook to a nice toasted brown color with some char. I've been following the Joe Rosenthal/Richard Eaglespoon recipe and using the aluminum dough containers with oil for the balled ferment period. I've found that the "thin" setting on the dough calculator is unbelievably thin, and have adjusted my dough balls for 16" pies up to 450g at the minimum, but want to go up to 500g in the future. I'm using a 1/4" baking steel from Etsy seasoned to a non-stick texture surface with Flax oil. I even tried launching the pizza on a lower steel temp as shown in the one photo, but it burned just the same. Is the dough too cold when I'm launching? It's frustrating because I know for a fact others have their steels way hotter and are getting that toasted with some spotted char underside that's desirable.

Another side issue is that I have found that when I take the dough ball out of the container, the underside is not smooth but looks as though the pinched bottom has opened up and it's all exposed webs, etc. I definitely take time to ball the dough nicely and pinch the underside like in the instructions. Normal photos of dough balls and stretched dough all look smooth. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline ivowiblo

• I Love Pizza!
What's your formula?

Something I'd try is to avoid the oil and see. it seems to me that the bottom skin has oil and it will get color faster when hit by the steel heat. But may be something in the dough formualtion. maybe too much sugar or something like that.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T