A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: A PHILOSOPHY OF PIZZA NAPOLETANISMO!  (Read 906104 times)

novo and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: A PHILOSOPHY OF PIZZA NAPOLETANISMO!
« Reply #3040 on: June 14, 2016, 11:18:44 AM »
The "X" configuration is prefered because the peel can not catch on the joint.  If the tiles are laid flush, it doesn't matter, but you will have more edge chipping when not using the "X" configuration.

Offline Pulcinella

« Reply #3041 on: June 25, 2016, 02:57:31 PM »
"It takes at least 15 years to become a really good pizzaiolo"  :o

Offline parallei

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3042 on: June 27, 2016, 06:49:51 PM »
Calzone and special pizzas (or pizzas with technical dough) should be cooked on the oven mouth

What is a " technical dough"?

Offline Antilife

• Pizza ..... or Bakery?
A PHILOSOPHY OF PIZZA NAPOLETANISMO!
« Reply #3043 on: June 27, 2016, 06:55:33 PM »
TD Are special doughs make from some Professional Baker  like Marco Lungo ,Gabriele Bonci and other Bigs (a lot of Roman Baker). These doughs needs of medium Temperature to cook like Teglia Romana (some times  i cook this dough)

Recipe
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=40750.0
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 07:01:16 PM by Antilife »

Offline parallei

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3044 on: June 27, 2016, 07:28:09 PM »
TD Are special doughs make from some Professional Baker  like Marco Lungo ,Gabriele Bonci and other Bigs (a lot of Roman Baker). These doughs needs of medium Temperature to cook like Teglia Romana (some times  i cook this dough)

Recipe
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=40750.0

Yes.  Those are typically not baked in a wood fired oven.  People on pizza making.com have been doing them for years.  I might add, with much better results than the example you've shown.

Offline Antilife

• Pizza ..... or Bakery?
« Reply #3045 on: June 27, 2016, 11:32:11 PM »
I don't have wood fire oven, Teglia Romana is an Example and must cooked in elettric oven, but Pala and Teglia Napoletana is always cooked in WFO. This dough is called ML 2.0/3.0/4.0 (Marco Lungo) and can used for Teglia ,Pala and Neapolitan Pizza modifying the amount of Fresh Yeast and % of hydros. Using a  % of Semola need of stop during preparation of dough and a cook slow.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 11:35:53 PM by Antilife »

Offline Antilife

• Pizza ..... or Bakery?
« Reply #3046 on: June 27, 2016, 11:42:21 PM »
This special dough (4.0) wins 4 years ago World Pizza Championship and i don't think this is a dough that on pizzamaking used by years.... difference between 2.0/3.0.4.0 is the adding and mixture of various type of flours. 2.0 is simplest but effective while 3.0 and 4.0 are more technical using different passage of mix. Salvatore Lionello a month ago wins Best World Pizzaiolo  with a new (and secret) dough make with Marco Lungo
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 12:00:02 AM by Antilife »

Offline parallei

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3047 on: June 28, 2016, 12:31:24 AM »
This special dough (4.0) wins 4 years ago World Pizza Championship and i don't think this is a dough that on pizzamaking used by years.... difference between 2.0/3.0.4.0 is the adding and mixture of various type of flours. 2.0 is simplest but effective while 3.0 and 4.0 are more technical using different passage of mix. Salvatore Lionello a month ago wins Best World Pizzaiolo  with a new (and secret) dough make with Marco Lungo

I don't have wood fire oven, Teglia Romana is an Example and must cooked in elettric oven, but Pala and Teglia Napoletana is always cooked in WFO. This dough is called ML 2.0/3.0/4.0 (Marco Lungo) and can used for Teglia ,Pala and Neapolitan Pizza modifying the amount of Fresh Yeast and % of hydros. Using a  % of Semola need of stop during preparation of dough and a cook slow.

Sorry.  Look around a bit.  High hydrations/long ferments/ fresh yeast/ natural leavenings/Semola, flour blends, all that has been tried here on pizza making.com.

Secret doughs are bull%$#.

Personally, I'm trying to get away from Italian flours and other ingredients.  I worry more and more about the purity of Italian ingredients and the ability of Italians and their government to police their food industry.   

Offline Antilife

• Pizza ..... or Bakery?
« Reply #3048 on: June 28, 2016, 04:35:02 AM »
Sorry.  Look around a bit.  High hydrations/long ferments/ fresh yeast/ natural leavenings/Semola, flour blends, all that has been tried here on pizza making.com.

Secret doughs are bull%$#.

Personally, I'm trying to get away from Italian flours and other ingredients.  I worry more and more about the purity of Italian ingredients and the ability of Italians and their government to police their food industry.

You're right. But from a certain point of view I'm happy. In Italy we struggle to find quality ingredients such as San Marzano because they prefer to sell all 'foreign. The less you buy, the more we find. The only complaint that I can do is that if you make a Neapolitan pizza .... you can not remove  Italian ingredients. It is a contradiction.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 04:41:15 AM by Antilife »

Offline LaLabbo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3049 on: June 28, 2016, 09:23:34 AM »
Neapolitan pizza .... you can not remove  Italian ingredients. It is a contradiction.
Fortunately this forum is called Neapolitan Style   ;)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3050 on: June 28, 2016, 10:24:33 AM »
The only complaint that I can do is that if you make a Neapolitan pizza .... you can not remove  Italian ingredients. It is a contradiction.

But adding fat to your dough isn't?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Antilife

• Pizza ..... or Bakery?
« Reply #3051 on: June 28, 2016, 10:34:46 AM »
Fat is an old ingredient. In all italian ancient recipes is used... all italian regions , north and south. In modena is used for Gnocco, Tigella, in Romagna for piadina.... in campania for pizza.

Take a reasoning. When in the 80s were make the disciplinary of the Neapolitan Pizza .... Is possibile for you that the true Neapolitan pizzamakers have given us their original recipe so that everyone in the world could do it?

I have Neapolitans parents and I assure you that the pizza in Naples is completely different from what you eat the rest of the world. You trust even the disciplinary?
I had to spend a week in Naples  to ask .... and to speak to all the pizzamakers friends to figure out how to make it better. And I understand that the Neapolitan is a  pizza that we must learn to do. Then after that the important thing is to create your own pizza
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 10:51:16 AM by Antilife »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3052 on: June 28, 2016, 11:13:06 AM »
Fat is an old ingredient. In all italian ancient recipes is used... all italian regions , north and south. In modena is used for Gnocco, Tigella, in Romagna for piadina.... in campania for pizza.

Take a reasoning. When in the 80s were make the disciplinary of the Neapolitan Pizza .... Is possibile for you that the true Neapolitan pizzamakers have given us their original recipe so that everyone in the world could do it?

Maybe it was/is used in pizza in Naples, maybe not. I don't know, but that's not the point. Clearly it isn't a secret which makes me wonder why it's not in the disciplinary?

You trust even the disciplinary?

When it comes to pizza, I don't trust anything I haven't seen with my own eyes and touched with my own hands. I'm just questioning an apparent disconnect.

I'd also point out that this:

Then after that the important thing is to create your own pizza

is a direct contradiction to this:

you can not remove  Italian ingredients. It is a contradiction.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Antilife

• Pizza ..... or Bakery?
« Reply #3053 on: June 28, 2016, 11:20:43 AM »
Maybe it was/is used in pizza in Naples, maybe not. I don't know, but that's not the point. Clearly it isn't a secret which makes me wonder why it's not in the disciplinary?

When it comes to pizza, I don't trust anything I haven't seen with my own eyes and touched with my own hands. I'm just questioning an apparent disconnect.

I'd also point out that this:

is a direct contradiction to this:

you can not remove  Italian ingredients. It is a contradiction.

My pizza is completly different from Neapolitan Pizza...... completly!  is not a contradiction.... A baker can be a Pizzamaker ,not viceversa
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 04:18:55 AM by Antilife »

Offline fagilia

« Reply #3054 on: June 29, 2016, 05:13:02 AM »
I talked quite a lot to liniello about his dough. He never mentioned anything secrets to his dough really.
He wasnt really hiding anything too in my impression. But his dough is very weak and he is extremely carefull while opening.
Also was he not world champion in making tricks with dough.
Also ther is no fat in the dough of pizzaiolos i know and i know quite many.

Offline Antilife

• Pizza ..... or Bakery?
« Reply #3055 on: June 29, 2016, 05:20:36 AM »
I talked quite a lot to liniello about his dough. He never mentioned anything secrets to his dough really.
He wasnt really hiding anything too in my impression. But his dough is very weak and he is extremely carefull while opening.
Also was he not world champion in making tricks with dough.
Also ther is no fat in the dough of pizzaiolos i know and i know quite many.

Fagilia, you are right. Salvatore Lionello is Vegan....i don't think use Fat like Strutto ;)
Marco Lungo never use Fats in his dough , no Evo,no Seeds Oil.
I know how work Marco Lungo and if you analyze Lionello's Pizza can find a lot of Lungo Methods.
Ask to Salvatore of his dough and technical consultancy of Lungo. they are friends for a few years

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3056 on: June 29, 2016, 07:55:03 AM »
A baker can be a Pizzamaker ,not viceversa

I disagree.  Either one can be the other with enough learning and practice.  You can be anything you want to be.  Also I would love to critique your pizzas.  Where are the pictures?  Let's demystify pizza, not the other way around.

Offline Antilife

• Pizza ..... or Bakery?
« Reply #3057 on: June 29, 2016, 10:43:17 AM »
I disagree.  Either one can be the other with enough learning and practice.  You can be anything you want to be.  Also I would love to critique your pizzas.  Where are the pictures?  Let's demystify pizza, not the other way around.

In Italy try to speak with a Pizzamaker  and after with a Baker.....you'll understand the difference.

Kill my pizza ...don't worry,motivates critical so we have to talk about . You will find my posts in my profile

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3058 on: June 29, 2016, 11:26:35 AM »
I did look at them.  A year and a half of practice and you are ready to conquer the NP world by storm.  Talk to Pizzaiolo? Bc their word has more weight in Italy? We don't have bakers and pizza makers here? I'm not even gonna give an opinion of the pizzaiolos here in the States. Get outta here with that.   

Your posts are full of an elitist mentality.  That prevents learning.  And your pizza.  Look at the rim.  I could be wrong Bc I haven't tasted them but they look dense and heavy.  The cheese melt is nice I'll give you that.   They don't look alive like a few other expert NP maker's here.  Also the heavy leoparding is undesireable.  It tends to be associate with a tough crumb unless you are putting fat/oil in the dough, which isn't traditional.  If you want to talk pizza, then let's talk pizza. 

Offline Antilife

• Pizza ..... or Bakery?
« Reply #3059 on: June 29, 2016, 11:39:49 AM »
you are right