A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Sausage pizza-What kind and pre cook?  (Read 271 times)

Offline bdobz

• I Love Pizza!
Sausage pizza-What kind and pre cook?
« on: August 11, 2022, 08:01:05 PM »
I love me some Sausage and mushroom pizza.  I assume just grab a tube of Italian sausage and break into desired size pieces, I also assume to pre cook the sausage, or partially pre cook?  Now that I think of it, any benefit to a little pre sauteing of the shrooms?

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
Re: Sausage pizza-What kind and pre cook?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2022, 08:28:32 PM »
If i'm doing a NY , detroit or sicilian I don't precook.  I just break off bits and put it on the top.   A local store makes their own sausage and does italian sausage patties, I like those rather than links when I can get them.  They are easier to break apart.
Deb

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2022, 08:48:58 PM »
I precook the sausage gently and try to keep some of the fat on it. I also try to get bulk sausage with a fairly coarse grind. I think it separates better. Another thing I sometimes do with the sausage depending on what I get. I usually get a local brand of something from an Italian market, but if things don't line up and I'm using a supermarket brand, I add more cracked fennel. I bought some Trader Joe's black pepper that comes in a little Peppermill. when the pepper was gone, I filled it up with fennel seeds. Grind some over the sausage in the pan for a little flavor boost.

Cooked vs uncooked mushrooms in a personal call. I like both, but with sausage I usually go with very thin sliced raw mushrooms. But sautéed  in a little oil with some garlic and a splash of white wine at the end is good on a pizza too. Roasted on a sheet pan is good too.

Offline bdobz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2022, 09:16:29 PM »
Thanks for the replies gents.  Hmmm, I am leaning towards "par cooked" on the sausage.  My oven finishes my pizzas in ~4 minutes.  Just don't want to be serving my guests raw sausage.

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2022, 11:03:26 PM »
It is a trial to get the sausage cooked if you put it on raw. My wife's preference is to put it on raw, so I make sure it's right on top, the last thing I put on. I think it cooks quicker that way.
But, most times I'm using traditional Aussie beef BBQ sausages.
If beef is a little rare, not even the missus gets excited.
When I do have pork sausages, I lean towards a little pre-cooking.
I just throw the chunks of sausage on my turning peel and lay it on the coals for a minute.
Works for caramelising onions, too.
Mick

A D V E R T I S E M E N T