A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Emmy Squared, Green Hiils (Nashville)  (Read 478 times)

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Emmy Squared, Green Hiils (Nashville)
« on: June 15, 2021, 05:48:33 PM »
4 stars for the pizza, 2.5 for the service.  This was the first time having a professionally prepared Detroit style pizza.  The crust was baked nicely.  The exterior was crisp, cheese frico on the outer edges, and it was light on the inside.  Their sausage was particularly good.  The sauce was cooked, which is authentic to the style, but I strongly prefer uncooked sauces on pizza. 

The average age of the wait staff is probably 19.  Our waiter didn't know how to uncork a wine bottle until I showed him how, but he was clearly experienced in lighting up reefer .  He had the giggles and moved at a snail's pace the entire evening.  The other waitresses were generally nice and did not appear to be impaired, but they worked at the same tempo.  The Italian Dolcetto wine was passable, but it's not a $50 bottle.      From what I've been able to gather, Nashville is generally a beer town.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
Re: Emmy Squared, Green Hiils (Nashville)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 05:55:20 PM »
So is this an outpost of the Brooklyn shop? I do see it's filled with hipsters :-D

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 05:58:09 PM »
So is this an outpost of the Brooklyn shop? I do see it's filled with hipsters :-D

More like replacement hip-sters ;-D.  They were a group of widows ranging from ages 84-98.  One of the other dining areas was filled with the Vanderbilt baseball team (not photographed).   They have three locations scattered throughout Nashville. 

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 06:00:22 PM »
Pizza looks legit!

Offline psedillo

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 10:37:34 AM »
4 stars for the pizza, 2.5 for the service.  This was the first time having a professionally prepared Detroit style pizza.  The crust was baked nicely.  The exterior was crisp, cheese frico on the outer edges, and it was light on the inside.  Their sausage was particularly good.  The sauce was cooked, which is authentic to the style, but I strongly prefer uncooked sauces on pizza. 

The average age of the wait staff is probably 19.  Our waiter didn't know how to uncork a wine bottle until I showed him how, but he was clearly experienced in lighting up reefer .  He had the giggles and moved at a snail's pace the entire evening.  The other waitresses were generally nice and did not appear to be impaired, but they worked at the same tempo.  The Italian Dolcetto wine was passable, but it's not a $50 bottle.      From what I've been able to gather, Nashville is generally a beer town.

I was in Louisville a few weekends ago and ate at the Emmy Squared location there - it was one of the better pizzas I had while in the city. Your assessment is spot on.

Ironically the most touted pizza in Louisville was the biggest letdown as it was undercooked dough with a lack of cohesion.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 11:02:16 AM by psedillo »
Paul

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 11:05:42 AM »
The sauce was cooked, which is authentic to the style, but I strongly prefer uncooked sauces on pizza. 

What don't you like? I think it all depends. Canned tomatoes are cooked when canned. When sauce is applied pre-bake, it is cooked again, so twice in total. For DS, tomatoes are cooked when canned, the sauce is cooked then applied post-bake, also only cooked twice. That said, I and many DS makers apply uncooked(or once cooked when canned) sauce pre-bake.

I would agree that using canned(cooked) tomatoes, cooking the sauce then applying pre-bake is undesirable.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 06:24:53 PM »
My daughter ordered the pizza sticks which had the sauce on the side.  As per their cookbook it has oil, onion, garlic confit, garlic oil salt, oregano, salt and white wine. Everything but the tomatoes are cooked, then it's added to the tomatoes.  Then it's cooked on the pie.  Although this is similar to the MAE approach, the finished flavor wasn't bright as I prefer.  It wasn't bad by any means, but it's not as good as mine ;-D

Offline chrisgraff

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2021, 11:50:38 AM »
Excellent review. That place is 15m away, although I've never tried it.

Next time your in town, check out Folk.
https://www.instagram.com/goodasfolk/

Offline specialmonkey

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2021, 10:39:58 AM »
My girlfriend loves this place in Brooklyn (it may be her favorite). I also think their pizza is really good (but I like my homemade Detroit more :)).

One thing I wonder about is the size. At 8x10 it seems small for $25+

Any ideas why they went with this size? Maybe their conveyer oven only fits multiples of this size? Maybe it's a cost calculation (or way to get the customer to order more)? Maybe it's a serving tray or table size consideration? Their pizzas seem only big enough for 1.25 people or 1 hungry person. A group of 4 would probably need 3 pizzas if that's all they were eating.

I can see why an 10x14" Detroit pizza could cost $25+

Even for a 10x10" Detroit pizza $25+ seems a little high to me.

It makes me wonder about the pizza biz. Can a pizzeria make money on pizza alone or must they also sell higher margin things like drinks, etc. to survive?

How could you tell the sauce was cooked? I think it's mentioned in the video but I wonder how I'd know it was cooked beyond the canning and bake? What's a telltale sign or flavor of thrice cooked sauce? I also like cooking the sauce on the pie vs. initial canning cook, cooking it again out of the can, and then again on the pie? I like it mainly for convenience, and fresh flavor of mixed in grated garlic, etc. which cooking again might change.

Perhaps freshly ground summer tomatoes would be even better, for a 1 time only on-the-pie cook?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 12:01:50 PM by specialmonkey »
I love a bit of glistening char on the crust! I'm using a Roccbox for the most part.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2021, 11:46:24 AM »
I may be incorrect about my observation of their sauce.  As per their cookbook:

1. Heat the garlic oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is translucent but not browned, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic confit and pour in the wine. Increase the heat to high and boil until the wine is reduced by half, 3 to 5 minutes.

2. Remove from the heat and let cool completely. Purée the mixture in a blender. Add the tomatoes and oregano and pulse just to combine. Season to taste with salt. (The sauce can be covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 2 months.)

Offline specialmonkey

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2021, 12:08:44 PM »
I think you mentioned brighter flavors in sauce out of can cooked only on pie. I wonder what the rationale for cooking the sauce prior to bake on DS is? Maybe more complex flavor. Interesting they add onions and cook the garlic. I only grate fresh garlic into directly out of can whole then crushed tomatoes, add crushed dried oregano, freshly ground pepper, and a bit of EVOO, maybe salt, mix - then cook on pie.
I love a bit of glistening char on the crust! I'm using a Roccbox for the most part.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2021, 12:43:09 PM »
I think you mentioned brighter flavors in sauce out of can cooked only on pie. I wonder what the rationale for cooking the sauce prior to bake on DS is? Maybe more complex flavor. Interesting they add onions and cook the garlic. I only grate fresh garlic into directly out of can whole then crushed tomatoes, add crushed dried oregano, freshly ground pepper, and a bit of EVOO, maybe salt, mix - then cook on pie.
My guess is that that garlic and onions when cooked in fat (oil) delivers more flavor when compared to soemthing that doesn’t have oil. 

I personally don’t care for garlic in pizza sauce and I drizzle a small amount of oil, usually post-bake, though sometimes I’ll do it before as well.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2021, 01:06:18 PM »
Traditional square pizza, Detroit Style, here in Michigan is only made in 8"X10" and 10"X14" pans. The 8"X10" was the size of the original blue steel pan that was used in auto plants in Detroit and was adapted for use as a pizza pan by Buddy's Rendezvous. Emmy Squared's price is high. You can get an 8X10 at Buddys for half that price.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline specialmonkey

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2021, 07:12:56 PM »
Traditional square pizza, Detroit Style, here in Michigan is only made in 8"X10" and 10"X14" pans. The 8"X10" was the size of the original blue steel pan that was used in auto plants in Detroit and was adapted for use as a pizza pan by Buddy's Rendezvous. Emmy Squared's price is high. You can get an 8X10 at Buddys for half that price.

Good to know! It looks like Buddy's 4-square is 8x10 and their 8-square is 10x14 ... where Emmy Squared's 8x10 is cut into 6 pieces.

Correction: Some of the prices at Emmy² might be a bit lower than $25+ but they are still a bit higher than Buddy's - I think this could vary by location as well.

https://www.emmysquaredpizza.com/location/brooklyn-new-york/#menus

wordpress