A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Re: Matt's NY Pizzeria Visits  (Read 10402 times)

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • marty, whatever happens, don't go to 2020!
Re: Matt's NY Pizzeria Visits
« Reply #180 on: November 08, 2021, 05:12:24 PM »
looks great guys! back nyc early dec, up for some pizza visits if anyone is around...
jeff

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #181 on: November 08, 2021, 05:55:14 PM »
I tried butter a few times a couple months ago and liked it. I stopped using it when I started using romano and parm again....but never tried them all together. I don't think butter is the ingredient. My test with cream was a bit closer. But I'm leaning towards it being some sort of hard cheese flavor.

I would have thought cream would change the color of the sauce more, turn it pinkish. I know there is a well know Marcella Hazan sauce with butter, that why the idea came to me. Interesting puzzle. I don't have a lot of experience with a variety of hard cheeses but it is amazing how different they can be. I use Locatelli pecorino Romano on a lot of pizzas, but there are some times, like a clam pizza, where I think it is too overpowering and works against the pizza. Good luck. Looking forward to seeing the experiments.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #182 on: November 11, 2021, 01:12:57 PM »
I would have thought cream would change the color of the sauce more, turn it pinkish.

I used a small amount of cream, but it was enough to lighten the color of the sauce (though not enough to make it a pink sauce). Link below to the time I tried it.
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=51924.msg636557#msg636557

I don't have a lot of experience with a variety of hard cheeses but it is amazing how different they can be.

Yes! I think hard cheese is a very under-explored topic. Part of the challenges are that availability in stores seems to be somewhat random, and it's a decent cost to absorb.  A few minutes ago my wife called me from a random store out of town that had "Ambrosi" brand Reggiano. I debated then decided to give it a shot (at $14/lb). When I thought about writing this post I realized I should have asked her to get the Grana Padano too, but I was too late. I'll never know until I try.

I seem to be the only one using Boar's Head Pecorino Romano, I'd be interested to know if other people like it. I find it much milder than Locatelli, which I struggled with when I tried it as it was so strong.

Matt

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • marty, whatever happens, don't go to 2020!
« Reply #183 on: November 11, 2021, 01:35:56 PM »
^^my entire takeaway from your post is that you married well  :)
jeff

Offline GumbaWill

• My canvas is a blank pizza skin
Re: Re: Matt's NY Pizzeria Visits
« Reply #184 on: November 14, 2021, 09:50:49 PM »
That's your opinion and not fact, correct? Just checking  ;)

Regarding Suprema, I didn't notice sweetness and certainly wasn't bothered by any sugar present.

Regarding, Joe's Carmine street sauce. I took a friend of mine from the bread club to Joe's, he had never been. In this small world, his sister lives in the building across the street from me. He hated Joe's pizza because he felt the sauce was too sweet. I like Joe's a lot. If I had to complain, sometimes the base is just too leathery.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
Re: Re: Matt's NY Pizzeria Visits
« Reply #185 on: November 15, 2021, 10:28:36 AM »
Regarding, Joe's Carmine street sauce. I took a friend of mine from the bread club to Joe's, he had never been. In this small world, his sister lives in the building across the street from me. He hated Joe's pizza because he felt the sauce was too sweet. I like Joe's a lot. If I had to complain, sometimes the base is just too leathery.

I hope you enjoyed the read back through the this thread.

Based on Andrew B's #s, Joe's sugar amount equates to 5 tsp of sugar for a 28oz can of tomato.
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=66137.msg646819#msg646819
Matt

wordpress