A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Italian Long Hot Peppers  (Read 840 times)

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
Re: Italian Long Hot Peppers
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2017, 09:29:27 AM »
Mmmph,

What does a Jimmy Nardello pepper look like?  Thanks for your post to fry them!

They look just like Jersey long hots.
Practice makes pizza

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2017, 11:55:17 AM »
Nice selection! Unfortunately the farmers markets around here kind of stink.  :'(

Jeff,

They had loads of sweet peppers too.  Most farmers market around here stink too in their choices of peppers.  :( There are many farmers markets in our area. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2017, 11:57:58 AM »
They look just like Jersey long hots.

Mmmph,

Thanks for telling me they look just like Jersey long hots.  The two kinds of long peppers I purchased yesterday had two kinds of heat.  One with a lot less heat and one with more.  I asked which ones were like Italian long hots. They said all of them are Italian.   :-D

Norma

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2017, 03:38:37 PM »
Hi, Norma, we just picked some Jimmy Nardello peppers from our garden today, we have about 20 plants going of just this type - so sweet and flavorful. But -- it is hard to ID them just from looking at them. In the picture below the ones in the bowl are Jimmy Nardello peppers - but the ones on the plant above the bowl are Dolce de Bergamo - they are also fantastic and taste a little like the Jimmy Nardello peppers.

I think my new favorite sweet pepper is the Topepo Rosso - first time growing and tasting them this year (the round one - with penny for scale next to a golden line hot cayenne). If you see any of the sweet ones at a market I would recommend you try them.

I have only seen the Jimmy Nardello peppers at a farmers market so not sure you will find the others.  :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:
Norm

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2017, 07:15:07 PM »
Hi, Norma, we just picked some Jimmy Nardello peppers from our garden today, we have about 20 plants going of just this type - so sweet and flavorful. But -- it is hard to ID them just from looking at them. In the picture below the ones in the bowl are Jimmy Nardello peppers - but the ones on the plant above the bowl are Dolce de Bergamo - they are also fantastic and taste a little like the Jimmy Nardello peppers.

I think my new favorite sweet pepper is the Topepo Rosso - first time growing and tasting them this year (the round one - with penny for scale next to a golden line hot cayenne). If you see any of the sweet ones at a market I would recommend you try them.

I have only seen the Jimmy Nardello peppers at a farmers market so not sure you will find the others.  :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:

Wow Norm, your Jimmy Nardello peppers look great, and 20 plants of just that type is sure a lot.  Interesting to know they are sweet and flavorful.  Would have thought that the ones on the plant and the ones in the bowl were both the same.  Thanks for educating me on different peppers. 

Since you said you think your new favorite sweet pepper is the Topepo Rossa might have to try to find out if some of those are at market.  When I talked to the man that waited on me, knew he was one of the family that owns that farm.  He said he doesn't know much about all of the peppers though.  He just picks them and sells them.  He asked his dad questions but the dad was grumpy yesterday morning and couldn't answer my questions.  :-D Think he forgot who I am.  Used to go out there and purchase peppers all of the time when we had the caramel popcorn stand.  The pepper stand is right out from that.  I talk to the son all of the time when he comes to purchase pizza.

Norma

wordpress