A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: New York's Best Pizza might be in New Jersey  (Read 657 times)

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
New York's Best Pizza might be in New Jersey
« on: September 12, 2017, 04:11:10 PM »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: New York's Best Pizza might be in New Jersey
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 04:27:10 PM »
some beautiful pies.

Which are unfortunately hidden behind a paywall.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 04:30:35 PM »
Google to the rescue. I hadn't seen their pizza before. Crust looks to be Bianco-inspired.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 05:29:45 PM »

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 05:54:13 PM »

I grabbed the link from google...something told me you might not be a subscriber.
Not sure why it didn't work for you ?
Nice pies, for sure.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 09:04:24 AM »
I had the same oven when I opened my truck, and when I demolished it I found out why it was such a bear to use.   Its a copy of a renato, but with almost no insulation at all, and a super conductive floor.   Kudos to him for dealing with that!  It was a half inch of vermicrete under the floor tiles, thats it!  Good thing its a small place or he would be loosing the floor all the time for sure.   Ill bet the pizzas are above 2 minutes in bake time.   

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 09:43:43 AM »
This place has been on my radar...He has  a great reputation. I read the NYT article, then the first few reader comments, which as might be expected, were annoying and rude. The whole NY vs NJ thing is a little silly. Yes, there's a river in the middle, but this place is just minutes from midtown...The pizza looks great  and the ingredients sound terrific. 

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 09:59:08 AM »
A friend of mine who lives in Hoboken turned me onto this place a few years ago.  I still haven't gotten over there, but this guy knows pizza and agrees its the best he has found in the NY/NJ area.

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 10:31:44 AM »
It's on my list for my next trip to NYC. Looking forward to the bread as much as the pizza!
Hans

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 12:55:41 PM »
I used to spend a day a week in jc, moving from client to client. I feel stupid for missing this place (in my defense, there are a lot of interesting Indian restaurants/carts) but I'm looking forward to getting there fairly soon. Perry, thanks for posting!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 03:06:49 PM by quietdesperation »
"Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good." - Woody Allen

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 11:16:24 PM »
Good luck getting in there now, at least for the near future! :-D

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 01:13:09 PM »
Interestingly, the night I was there last, Dan said the heat was completely sucked out of the floor. Not sure if it's the oven, considering I've dealt with the same problem at every wood-fired spot I've worked!

Pizza was great. People will debate the merits of 3 stars in the Times - particularly when it has more stars than Per Se at the moment. The flavor of the crust is fantastic. For my tastes, the dough is a little thick and maybe cooked harder than I'd like but no doubt it's pretty crisp and flavorful. There's certainly not much like it in the tri-state area.

Sleeper hit for me are his meatballs. Far and away the best I've ever had. The sourdough bread, buttermilk from the butter, and quality beef with just simple tomato makes it taste like a steak/burger in meatball form. The slight sour taste from the bread and cultured buttermilk gives so much depth of flavor to the meatballs. Definitely something I would try myself.

I had the same oven when I opened my truck, and when I demolished it I found out why it was such a bear to use.   Its a copy of a renato, but with almost no insulation at all, and a super conductive floor.   Kudos to him for dealing with that!  It was a half inch of vermicrete under the floor tiles, thats it!  Good thing its a small place or he would be loosing the floor all the time for sure.   Ill bet the pizzas are above 2 minutes in bake time.

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 02:24:06 PM »

Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating