A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Greek pizza  (Read 215149 times)

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
Re: Greek pizza
« Reply #640 on: September 03, 2017, 07:33:03 AM »
More Greek Pizza pics taken by my brother in law from tonight (New England Pizza in Vernon, CT)

Awesome sets of pics Nicu2001. They remind me of the pies I grew up with, particularly the party cut pies.

Looks like the party cut pies are large 16" pizzas and the triangle sliced pies are smaller, and the smaller pies look significantly thicker. I wonder if they use one sized dough ball for both pizza sizes?

My latest Greek pizza (baked yesterday) is the second picture at the link below. It was a good pie, nothing notable though. I should really spend some time working on this style.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26286.msg495806#msg495806

« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 07:44:31 AM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline nicu2001

« Reply #641 on: September 03, 2017, 09:43:45 AM »
Like Harry said, they are "Greek" in that the owners all who made this style were Greek. Here's an article on Teddy's in South Windsor, CT from a few years back:

https://patch.com/connecticut/southwindsor/teddy-s-pizza-restaurant-a-south-windsor-institution-6fb9a9bf2e

Offline nicu2001

« Reply #642 on: September 03, 2017, 09:54:11 AM »
Awesome sets of pics Nicu2001. They remind me of the pies I grew up with, particularly the party cut pies.

Looks like the party cut pies are large 16" pizzas and the triangle sliced pies are smaller, and the smaller pies look significantly thicker. I wonder if they use one sized dough ball for both pizza sizes?

My latest Greek pizza (baked yesterday) is the second picture at the link below. It was a good pie, nothing notable though. I should really spend some time working on this style.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26286.msg495806#msg495806

Your Greek pizza looks great!!  You are correct the large pie posted yesterday was party cut and the triangle cut one was a small. It did seem thicker, I will tell him to ask more questions next time he is there.

I'm making two Greek pizzas tonight in square Detroit pans. I usually just put the cheese all the way to the end of the pan leaving no rim. Not a perfect match to the style but the cheese blend and dough will be.

Offline nicu2001

« Reply #643 on: September 03, 2017, 10:40:51 AM »
Two bottom pics from the New England Pizza I posted last night

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #644 on: September 03, 2017, 12:30:43 PM »
Two bottom pics from the New England Pizza I posted last night

Awesome, many thanks for that. The color pattern is similar to mine, but darker. Something for me to work on.

Here are a couple pics  (after a quick toaster oven reheat). I think I'm using way too little cheese, even after increasing to 14oz (10 mozz + 4 cheddar).

« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 02:34:35 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #645 on: September 03, 2017, 03:00:01 PM »
Hope Pizza, Stamford CT. I definitely want to stop in there.

Matt

Offline nicu2001

« Reply #646 on: September 04, 2017, 08:46:21 AM »
Last night's Greek style pizza was a success. It was preferred to the NY Style and I was happy with the results. Lowering the oven to 500 and baking on the rack made a big difference. Thanks everyone for the tips.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #647 on: September 04, 2017, 09:56:26 AM »
Last night's Greek style pizza was a success. It was preferred to the NY Style and I was happy with the results. Lowering the oven to 500 and baking on the rack made a big difference. Thanks everyone for the tips.

Looks awesome! I really like the cheese browning on the plain pie. What was your bake time and what cheese(s) did you use?

Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #648 on: September 04, 2017, 10:12:45 AM »

Offline nicu2001

« Reply #649 on: September 04, 2017, 10:41:03 AM »
Thanks guys!  Cheese blend was 2/3 Grande 50/50 and 1/3 Grafton Village Cheddar (1 Year Aged). When I don't have the Grande I usually go 50% Whole Milk Mozz and 50% Cheddar. The 50/50 is a little less oily and the Provolone adds a nice flavor to the mix.

Baked at 500 for 15mins

Offline enchant

• Supporting Member
  • World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #650 on: September 13, 2017, 05:06:31 PM »
It's possible that I've simply missed it, but have any of you who are having success with your pizzas posted a video of themselves stretching the dough in the pan?  What I'm seeing in this thread is exactly like what i want to make.  I'd especially like to see Norma's method.
--pat--

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #651 on: September 13, 2017, 07:20:17 PM »
It's possible that I've simply missed it, but have any of you who are having success with your pizzas posted a video of themselves stretching the dough in the pan?  What I'm seeing in this thread is exactly like what i want to make.  I'd especially like to see Norma's method.

enchant,

If you want me to do a video of pressing the dough in the pan I can.  Since the dough is cold, the hydration is high, Crisco Butter Flavored shortening is use, and it is highly fermented, it just presses in the Black Buster pans easily.  I don't use any warm up of the dough I use or it would get too sticky.

Norma

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #652 on: September 13, 2017, 08:29:52 PM »
enchant,

If you want me to do a video of pressing the dough in the pan I can.  Since the dough is cold, the hydration is high, Crisco Butter Flavored shortening is use, and it is highly fermented, it just presses in the Black Buster pans easily.  I don't use any warm up of the dough I use or it would get too sticky.

Norma

Interesting. I'd like to see it. I think I stink at spreading dough in a pan (havent done it too many times).
Matt

Offline enchant

• Supporting Member
« Reply #653 on: September 13, 2017, 08:57:54 PM »
Curious minds want to know, Norma.  Yes, I'd love to see it.
--pat--

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #654 on: September 13, 2017, 09:57:24 PM »
Interesting. I'd like to see it. I think I stink at spreading dough in a pan (havent done it too many times).

Curious minds want to know, Norma.  Yes, I'd love to see it.

Matt and enchant,

I will try to do videos on Tuesday of spreading different doughs in a pans.  Some might need to be rolled out or pressed out before they are put into pans.  Think there is still one frozen Detroit style dough at market.  Might do that video sooner than Tuesday.  Think about Franks Giaquinto's method of using oil to be able to open dough balls easily.  That also works for pan pizzas, no matter if oil or shortening is used to grease the pans.

Norma

Offline enchant

• Supporting Member
« Reply #655 on: September 14, 2017, 05:26:59 AM »
Thanks, Norma!
--pat--

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #656 on: September 14, 2017, 06:50:09 AM »
Thanks! For me the 2 challenges are 1) ensuring the dough remains in contact with the pan and 2) achieving a consistent thickness when I press it out

Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #657 on: September 14, 2017, 07:39:16 AM »
Thanks! For me the 2 challenges are 1) ensuring the dough remains in contact with the pan and 2) achieving a consistent thickness when I press it out

Matt,

If you use something like Crisco Buttered Flavored shortening there is a better chance that the dough will stick.  At least that is what I found so far.  Maybe other members can also tell what has worked for them.  The consistent thickness can be achieved using Frank Giaquinto's method with opening with oil and proofing the dough also helps. 

Norma

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #658 on: September 14, 2017, 07:45:41 AM »
One of the Greek/Detroit style pizzas.

Norma

That's the one!!! :drool:
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #659 on: September 14, 2017, 08:06:31 AM »
This is Walter's thread about using oil to open dough, like Frank did.  It can work on most doughs including Sicilian pan pizzas.  Not too sure about the higher hydration Detroit style doughs if they warm up, or really low hydration doughs.  Don't think that would work. 

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=34146.0

If anyone want me to give one of the links where Frank opens dough with oil can do that.

Norma

wordpress