A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza Oven for 18" NY Pie  (Read 574 times)

Offline damillster

• I Love Pizza!
Pizza Oven for 18" NY Pie
« on: January 19, 2018, 09:50:27 AM »
Just joined the forum yesterday.  Did a quick search on this topic but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.  Sorry if it's been discussed, but I just missed it....

I'm searching for a pizza oven that will accommodate an 18" NY style pie.  Almost everything I'm seen is too small.  The closest thing that fits my budget, seem to be the Blackstone, but it is just a wee bit too small.  Does anyone make something similar that is just a bit bigger?  I prefer gas, but would consider wood if necessary.

Thanks in advance.

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
Re: Pizza Oven for 18" NY Pie
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 10:00:20 AM »
There are a few options but w/o knowing your budget and oven size requirements it is hard to say if any are a fit. Also, do you have access to 220v where you want to put the oven. Let me know and I'll try to help you...

Norm

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 10:08:55 AM »
18" would be easy in a Blackstone if you use a screen.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 10:13:13 AM »
Sorry, Craig, I think that is a bad suggestion / recommendation - in the Blackstone the outside edge is already too hot - I think an 18 inch pie would fry on the edge - if it would even fit.

I think the first thing we should be asking is will the existing home oven fit a stone or steel that is 18 inches - and work from there.
Norm

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 10:34:48 AM »
You're right. I was thinking the stone was 18", but I see it's closer to 16.5"

My home oven is exactly 18" deep. My steel is 17". I make an 18" pizza in it, but it's not easy. I set the steel up against the back wall and launch the pie right up to the wall leaving the front 1" hanging over the edge of the steel. After a minute or so, when the pie is set enough to turn, I give it a quarter spin which lifts the front edge up flat with the rest and have an 18" pie that now spans the entire depth of the oven.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 10:59:39 AM »
My home oven is even worse so I feel your pain - I can only fit a 16 inch surface in my oven so making a 16 inch pie is a challenge and it gets harder with each successive glass of wine I drink. That is what got me using a screen - went 30 plus years without using them and only lost one pizza - now I feel like I have lost confidence in my ability to forgo the screen - hoping my new deck oven will let me get back to pie on stone cooks.
Norm

Offline damillster

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 05:40:52 PM »
Thanks for the replies!

I was hoping to find something I can use outdoors (concrete patio).  Gas preferred, but wood or electric is acceptable.  I don't have a 220 outlet where I'd want the oven, but it's certainly possible to put one there if need be.  I would like to keep this under $500.

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 06:41:59 PM »
I have been looking for an oven like that for years and just found a used Bakers Pride GP-61. You are going to have a hard time getting an oven big enough to comfortably fit an 18 inch pie for 500. You can see what I picked up here

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=50540.0

If you can find a bakers pride P22 used and had 220v it would likely be the cheapest. Other ovens that would be nice are the Bakers Pride EP-1-2828 (another 220 oven) and I was looking at the Italforni TKA-1 (also 220). The 2828 is more expensive but like I said your only hope is to find something used.

If you can live with an 18 inch deck (you would likely have to use a screen to fit an 18 in pie in there) you could go with a Waring WPO500 Single Deck Countertop Pizza Oven (120V) but those are about 1000.00 new. User Essen1 has one and he has been making master class pies in it. You can see one he made tonight here

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=8093.msg512982#msg512982

The other thing you could do is look for something like I found - but for 500 I think you are going to have a hard time.
Norm

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 06:23:04 AM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Waring-WPO500-Single-Deck-Countertop-Pizza-Oven-120V/382348579173?epid=1464720444&hash=item5905c05165:g:4PoAAOSwgeBaXmtZ

Looks like that one is missing the stone along with the two legs - and shipping is almost as much as the oven - when it comes to finding used heavy items the local cragslist is sometimes a better place to start - after that I would try PCI auctions if one is located nearby.

https://www.pciauctions.com/index.php
Norm

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 07:12:04 AM »
Looks like that one is missing the stone along with the two legs - and shipping is almost as much as the oven - when it comes to finding used heavy items the local cragslist is sometimes a better place to start - after that I would try PCI auctions if one is located nearby.

https://www.pciauctions.com/index.php

I think I’m going to bid on the double stack conveyor pizza oven and put it in my kitchen. :chef:
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 11:35:05 AM »
Probably cost closer to twice your budget but sometimes you can find a Blodgett 1000 running on propane for about $1000-1500.

Cranking out 18" NY pies at home isn't easy, many here are longing to do the same. Seems like the cheapest option to making big pies is on the grill, but then you have to deal with getting enough top heat which grills aren't great for.

Offline Vinny G

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 02:53:29 PM »
Not sure about the accuracy, but Amazon's site says this NXR oven can do 18" pies.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077BFNZKM/?tag=pmak-20

Be Kind To The People You Meet On The Way Up, Because You're Going To Meet The Same People On The Way Down

Offline damillster

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018, 10:02:42 AM »
Thank you for all the replies.  I appreciate the guidance!

wordpress