A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Gino's East Ingredient List.  (Read 605 times)

Offline Bisquick

Gino's East Ingredient List.
« on: June 11, 2021, 04:32:23 AM »
I suppose someone may have posted something like this previously, but nonetheless I thought I'd share it anyway. You may need to zoom on the pic to see the ingredient list clearly. I've added to my original post by adding the pic of the back of the box with the baking instructions. I find it kind of interesting that it recommends baking at 375 degrees (fahrenheit) for 40 to 50 minutes vs a higher temperature for a shorter period of time. The general consensus regarding baking pizza (via Google searches and various forums) seems to be to bake at the highest temperature possible, but my personal experience has taught me that the most important aspect regarding the finished product, whether it be pizza, breadsticks, calzones, etc. is not drying out the final product or the flavor will be quite lacking. This seems to be especially true with Neapolitan doughs (I realize I may going off on a slight tangent here, as this is a thread for Chicago style doughs). To me this even holds weight with the most crispy style of pizza, as in my opinion, even if the crust/underside is nice and crisp/crackery, I still like the top to be nice and tenderized/chewy. 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 08:38:48 PM by Bisquick »

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
Re: Gino's East Ingredient List.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 08:24:39 AM »
Forgive my ignorance, but are labels no longer required to list ingredients in descending order of their preponderance or what-have-you?  Like, I highly doubt there's more yeast than water in the dough.  :D

Thanks for posting this!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 10:20:14 AM »
Forgive my ignorance, but are labels no longer required to list ingredients in descending order of their preponderance or what-have-you?  Like, I highly doubt there's more yeast than water in the dough.  :D

Thanks for posting this!
Garvey,

The answer is yes but I think Gino's East may be using a pre-mix to make the dough, and that pre-mix includes the yeast and other ingredients.

Peter

Offline Garvey

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 04:26:42 PM »
Thanks, Peter.  That makes more sense.  :-D

Offline ira

• I try to cook Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2021, 08:30:46 PM »
I believe in that case the mix should have been treated like the flour with a descriptor followed by a list, like this: pizza dough mix(mix ingredients), water.  Which would have made it obvious what's going on. I would guess that as it's written it would not pass scrutiny if the FDA decided to look.  And I, of course, reserve the right to be wrong!

Ira.

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2021, 09:29:14 PM »
Lemon powder in the sausage, now that’s interesting!

Offline Garvey

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2021, 10:43:04 PM »
When do ingredients have to be disclosed or not?  The sausage lists “spices” but then also lists paprika itself, for example.

Offline ira

• I try to cook Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2021, 10:58:03 PM »
 I believe that under some percentage contents and for some things you can put then in a general context. You'll notice its almost always the last entry in the list.  But I don't know what the actual rules are.

Ira

Offline saucelord

• Pizza Forever
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2021, 11:05:40 PM »
Citric acid is used in sausage making for its "tang" flavor. Maybe the lemon powder is used similarly.
There are those of you that have merely adopted the pizza. I was born into it...molded by it.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2021, 10:46:51 AM »
When do ingredients have to be disclosed or not?  The sausage lists “spices” but then also lists paprika itself, for example.
Garvey,

It is my understanding that in a product comprising many parts, including spices, as is the case with a typical Gino's East pizza, it is not required by the FDA that the specific spices be identified. But if someone sells spices, they must be identified. And the spices have to be from a group specified by the FDA. An example of the latter can be seen at:

https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/pizza-seasoning/c-24/p-463/pd-s

It is a common practice among pizza chains to conceal what their spices are. For example, Domino's describes its sausage as follows:

ITALIAN SAUSAGE

Contains
Pork, Water, Salt, Spices, Dextrose, Sodium Phosphates, Natural Flavor, Dehydrated Garlic, Onion Powder, Paprika Oleoresin

You can read more about these matters at:

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/cfrsearch.cfm?fr=101.22

Peter

Offline Garvey

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2021, 11:32:18 AM »
Thanks, Peter.  I learned something.  That has always been a mystery to me.  Kinda makes sense now.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2021, 03:31:16 PM »
Thanks, Peter.  I learned something.  That has always been a mystery to me.  Kinda makes sense now.
Garvey,

It also important to keep in mind that the FDA does not have resources to look into things like ingredients statements and Nutrition Facts and the like, and food processors out there know that and will do certain things because they do not think that they will get caught. Studies also show that about 25% on Nutrition Facts are wrong in some respect.

I remember some time ago I approached the FDA because I found something wrong with the Nutrition Facts of a well known Chicago area pizza operation. I was told to tell the pizza operation, not them. It's usually when people are likely to get seriously sick in numbers or if a recall is likely that the FDA will step up and address the matter.

Peter

Offline Garvey

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2021, 03:58:49 PM »
You'd think with the hypervigilance around food allergies these days, we'd see more disclosure.  But that's clearly not a universal thing.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2021, 04:35:01 PM »
You'd think with the hypervigilance around food allergies these days, we'd see more disclosure.  But that's clearly not a universal thing.
Garvey,

The big operators, like Domino's and Papa John's, usually have a section devoted to allergies. See, for example:

https://www.dominos.com/en/pages/content/nutritional/allergen-info

https://www.papajohns.com/allergens/papa-johns-allergen-guide.html

The little guys, like basic pizza operators, do not have to do much of anything, such as disclosing the ingredients used and/or nutrition information, because the FDA does not require that they do so. Some, however, will do it in some form. They almost always avoid using the term Nutrition Facts, which is a matter under the jurisdiction of the FDA.

Peter

Offline pizzard

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2021, 11:37:53 AM »
It was my understanding that companies don't have to disclose specific spices as part of their proprietary formulation and they have a right to keep that information "secret". Ketchup for example must follow specifications based on the Code of Federal Regulation - Title 21, but companies can use "spices" as part of their "secret recipe" per se. It makes it difficult for companies to re-engineer or knockoff the competitor via Slugworth et al.