A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Upcoming trip to Napoli - Please check my list of Pizzerie  (Read 467 times)

Offline KuroPizza

• I Love Pizza!
Upcoming trip to Napoli - Please check my list of Pizzerie
« on: August 29, 2021, 04:47:33 PM »
Hi y'all,

happy to become more active in this community after almost a year of lurking as a guest. I will be headed to Napoli in two weeks time and am beyond excited, since this will be my first trip to the sacred cradle of Pizza Napoletana. I am planning on exactly one beautiful meal of sfogliatelle and then tons and tons of Pizza. Here's our current plan - any feedback, approval, counter-suggestions etc. is warmly appreciated:

- Sorbillo
- Da Michele
- Starita di Materdei
- 50 Kalò
- Da Attilio
- Field trip to caiazzo for Pepe in Grani
- Francesco & Salvatore Salvo
- Di Matteo

Are we missing anything? Anything on there that could be skipped? Any other recommendations (even non-Pizza)?

Looking forward to picking the community's brain on this.  :) Oh, and also: Hopefully this is the right section of the forum for a post like this. I thought it is, since it's centered on Napoli. But if it's better suited to the Pizzerie section, please move.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 04:49:33 PM by KuroPizza »

Offline Smaans

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Upcoming trip to Napoli - Please check my list of Pizzerie
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 04:56:15 PM »
I think all these pizzeria's would be on my list also

I also wanna go there as soon as possible!!

Have fun there!

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 06:27:32 PM »
Pizzeria Brandi would be on my list.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline Roberto_buonissimo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 02:51:06 AM »
i would go to Pizzeria SUSTABLE also  :drool:

Offline Komarzer

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2021, 03:18:49 AM »
I assume you have a car since you're going to Caiazzo for Pepe in grani. In that case, you should definitely go to Caserta at Francesco's Martucci I Masanielli. He went first in the 50 Top Pizza Italy last year, and was also first alongside Pepe in grani in 2019.

Offline KuroPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2021, 03:43:39 PM »
Thank you for these comments and suggestions! Will definitely update the list accordingly.

And yes, we will be by car for at least part of our trip, so might as well add Masanielli to the list. :)

Offline Pete_da_Bayer

• I Love pizza and beer!
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 05:26:07 AM »
Hi KuroPizza,
for my next trip to the Naples region, i would have on my list "I Masanielli" di Francesco Martucci https://www.pizzeriaimasanielli.it/
and "Ciarly"  di Raf Bonetta https://pizzeria-ciarly.business.site/
Have a nice trip!
Peter

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2021, 06:48:02 AM »
If you are traveling with others that might not want pizza, I highly recommend Pizzeria al 22 , right next to Atillio.

More options than just pizza and the pizza is very good.

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2021, 06:53:32 AM »
I posted this a few years ago. I am in Italy now, was thinking about going to DaMichele for takeout on the way to airport

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=53687.0
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 06:56:30 AM by ebpizza »

Offline KuroPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2021, 04:17:12 PM »
Once again, thank you to everyone who commented or made suggestions! Though we didn't manage to hit all of the places mentioned in the limited time we had, I wanted to post a brief list of our highlights. I cannot overstate how thoroughly impressed we were with the high level of artisanship and quality on display.

With the exceptions of a very satisfying seafood lunch (had to have some zuppa di cozze) and a  wonderful sfogliatella from Attanasio, we ended up sticking to our plan and ate only Pizza. In general, we tried starting with some of the classics to build a traditional foundation and then moved on to some of the more experimental and innovative Pizzerie towards the end of our trip. Here's all of the places we visited in order:

- Da Attilio
- Sorbillo (Via Tribunali)
- Starita a Materdei
- 50 Kalò
- Concettina ai Tre Santi
- La Notizia 94
- I Masanielli
- Pepe in Grani

We would absolutely eat at any of these Pizzerie again without hesitation. Picking the ones that impressed us the most is difficult, but I will try all the same, knowing full well that Pizza is a living, breathing thing and there can be variation in quality from one day to the next based on countless factors.

Pepe in Grani:
With its towering reputation expectations were high indeed and we were perhaps even a bit apprehensive, given the huge volume of customers they seem to handle these days. What can I say - the entire experience was nothing short of spectacular. We opted for the full tasting menu consisting of two smaller, fried appetizers, then 8 different slices of Pizza (Served as 4 smaller Pizze for two diners) and some dessert. It proved to be a whole lot of Pizza and we were struggling towards the end, but the sheer deliciousness of every new slice kept us going. The fluffy lightness of the cornicione was stunning and the flavor combinations  of the toppings brilliantly chosen. I cannot quite wrap my head around how they keep the level of quality so consistently high given the amount of tables they have to serve. This is somewhat of a random addendum, but the entire flavor experience and sequence of the various courses also had us wonder why the Guide Michelin is not democratizing and extending its stars to Pizzerie in the same way that they relaxed some of the rules about décor/facilities for Sushi in Japan. So yes, the pilgrimage to Caiazzo was definitely worth it for us and we vow to be back.

La Notizia 94:
Just an all around beautiful experience and probably the most hospitable and warm of all the Pizzerie we have visited during our trip. Maestro Enzo Coccia himself was there and somehow magically managed to simultaneously make Pizza and take care of front of house banter. We had a brief look at the menu, which turned out to be completely unneccessary, as Mr. Coccia had a very clear idea of what he wanted us to try – recommendations we were more than happy to follow. What we did not see coming was that our meal was to start with his 'mpustarella, a modernized version of a rustic neapolitan panino filled with tomato sauce, eggplant and mozzarella. If eating a sandwich before a eating a Pizza seems a bit much, fret not! The thing was light as a feather! I cannot fathom the amount of research nor the mastery of fermentation that must have gone into making a sandwich with such a thin and crunchy crust while maintaining such an airy crumb! Every single bite felt like a hug. The ‘mpustarella was followed by perfectly executed Margherita to showcase tradition and then the more modern signature Pizza alla Procidana, topped with smoked scamorza and cherry tomatoes smoked, equally smoked on the grill. Other than the fantastic food, Mr. Coccia’s generosity and hospitality stood out. He was happy to answer any questions we had and elaborate on even the most minute details. If you want to know about the hydration level of his mozzarella or fermentation temperatures, just ask away…

Sorbillo:
It quickly became clear why Sorbillo’s Pizza has the reputation it has. I had the Margherita Bufala D.O.P and it was just so satisfying in its seeming simplicity and perfect execution. The dough just melts in your mouth. Easily worth the roughly 2,5 hour wait. 😊

I Masanielli:
Thanks to Komarzer for pointing out that we should probably go to I Masanielli, given that we had a rental car anyway. While all of the Pizza we had there was spectacular, Francesco Martucci’s «Futuro di Marinara» really stood out. Apparently the dough is first steamed at around 100 °C, then fried at 180°C. The resulting disc is then topped with a rich purée of oven roasted cherry tomatoes blended with garlic and olive oil, salted capers, a wild garlic pesto and finally finished in a wfo at around 400°C. The resulting Pizza has a pleasantly crispy exterior, a moist, fluffy interior and it is an absolute umami bomb.

All in all, the various Pizzerie were just awe-inspiring. It’s going to be a long journey to get even near that level, but we certainly feel motivated now!  :)

Offline zeno

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2021, 03:36:01 AM »
less known compared to other pizza superstar but it could be a surprise:
pizzeria ciarly
https://pizzeria-ciarly.business.site/
he is among the young generation of pizzaiolo

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • marty, whatever happens, don't go to 2020!
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2021, 01:07:15 PM »
did u go to all these places with your significant other? if so, what sort of sorcery did you employ to arrange so many pizza visits?
jeff

wordpress