A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Baker's yeast quantity prediction model - please compare to your results  (Read 251894 times)

Offline xicanopride

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Baker's yeast quantity prediction model - please compare to your results
« Reply #580 on: January 07, 2022, 02:57:07 PM »
There are plenty of calculators out there. I like this one: https://calbal.altervista.org/

Using this calculator, I found that it differs quite a bit from your yeast quantity predictor (for IDY).  any thoughts on why that may be, and which would more accurate?  Am I reading it wrong? 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 03:05:25 PM by xicanopride »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #581 on: January 07, 2022, 03:04:34 PM »
Hard to say what may be driving the differences without seeing your complete formula and workflow.

Either could be more accurate. Your best bet is to test and tweak.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline xicanopride

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #582 on: January 07, 2022, 03:14:06 PM »
Hard to say what may be driving the differences without seeing your complete formula and workflow.

Either could be more accurate. Your best bet is to test and tweak.

Let's just say for example, that I want to make 10 pizzas at 250g each, 62% hydration and 3% salt; and with fermentation/proofing time of 24 hours at 60 degrees.  Your table would call for 0.064% IDY, which comes out to 0.969 g, but the other calculator calls for 0.55 g.  That's quite a difference, almost 50% more/less.  I understand it would take some experimenting and tweaking.  Just wondering if you had any thoughts as to why it might be so different? Or maybe I'm doing something wrong???

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #583 on: January 07, 2022, 08:36:03 PM »
That's a great question, I know this doesn't help, but from my experience, Craig's chart is the only one I use and it's been spot on 95% of the time.

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #584 on: January 08, 2022, 03:42:41 AM »
Start somewhere and adjust as needed. I use 0.18% for 24 hours at 60F, but that is with hand mixing and a relatively low final dough temperature. And maybe start with a few doughs first. I wouldn’t make ten dough batch with no test runs of the recipe. Keep in mind also that a ten ball dough will ferment a bit faster than a single ball.
Heine
Oven: Effeuno P134H

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress