Pages:
Actions
  • #6821 by norcoscia on 13 Oct 2021
  • Well, finally got my Camaldoli sourdough starter to a point I felt good enough about it to try a loaf. This was done in the Anova oven with 100% steam at 325 degrees for 15 min. and then finished in a conventional oven (on a thick stone) at 425 degrees for about another 15 min.

I’m happy for a first try, did a second score but kinda wished I did it sooner and closer to the first slash. Will also let it proof a bit more next time and finish a bit hotter.

Crumb has great flavor but could have been a touch more open, crust was near perfect for me (crisp with a shattering when cut)- really loving (and thanking) the Anova steam for that.

Suggestions for improving my bread are welcome, have not tried making any bread for over a decade :-)

PS. 24 hour ferment with 7 hours CF, 14 at RT, then final 3 hours in proof box at 87 degrees…

GramsOunces
    Preferment (20%)
    Total Flour (100%)
    1st Flour Bobs Organic AP (50%)
    2nd Flour All Trumps (50%)
    Water (65%)
    Salt (2.2%)
    Other DMP (2%)
    Total Dough Weight with Residue   
    Bowl Residue Specified 
    Single Ball No Residue
    NOTES:
    Test for one 10 inch oval Banneton
  • #6822 by 02ebz06 on 13 Oct 2021
  • Looks good Norm!   You're giving that Anova oven a good workout.
  • #6823 by Papa T on 13 Oct 2021
  • Pan Cubano. Cuban bread. Made from scratch the old fashioned way, and is 100% authentic, and yes, these are made with lard. These are 10 inch loaves, a good size for sandwiches and general eating. There are only two specifications where I deviate from the ancient recipe.

First, I don't use saw palmetto fronds to score the loaves. I have dozens of them in my back yard, but who wants to wash, detox, and sterilize palm fronds? I prefer using a lame. The fond is traditional for scoring, but does not alter the flavor or texture of the bread. As long as it's scored, it will be fine.

Second, I use unbleached and unbromated bread flour. Traditional Cuban bread uses bleached and bromated flour. That's why it's so white. I prefer to eliminate chemicals in my bread, so none of that for me. Again, other than being whiter due to chemical bleaching, and baking a bit more consistently in large volumes by using bromate, the flavor and texture is the same with either kind of flour.

Very white, white bread, back in the day was a status symbol. Bleached flour back then cost more, so having it was a sign of affluence. Unbleached flour cost less, so that's what the poorer folks used. And now you know.

I was born and raised Key West, Florida, and raised in a Cuban culture. My mother was of Cuban decent, as was her mother. My grandmother's mother was from Cuba and immigrated to the USA long before I was born. My mother's father was a Spanish immigrant that came to the US in his 20s and lived here as a permanent resident alien his entire life. My father was an anglo, in the Navy, then worked for AT&T, and was hardly ever home, especially when the Cuban missile crisis erupted. I seldom saw him. I had a lot of Cuban influence on my early learning years. Making this kind of bread with mom and grandma was one of them. And yeah, I'm also pretty good a making paella.
  • #6824 by loch on 14 Oct 2021
  • Great looking food!

I bake and cook to capture the flavors of my youth. I know I'm not alone.

Dave
  • #6825 by norcoscia on 14 Oct 2021
  • Second loaf using my new Camaldoli starter and the Anova oven - better but still not 100% the way I want it. Great crumb, flavor and crust though…
  • #6826 by norcoscia on 15 Oct 2021
  • Anova Oven test loaf #3. This one was cooked on a steel plate preheated in the Anova. It was also cooked 100% in the Anova (My last two were finished on a stone in my home oven). I proofed this one a bit less and only gave it a few stretch and folds (no mixer used). Mixed last night and rested in the refrigerator over night. Removed and placed on counter to proof this AM. Much better spring and lighter crumb, crust was amazing. Making progress figuring out my new oven - more work needed but enjoying the fresh sourdough bread every day and giving half to my neighbors:-)
  • #6827 by HansB on 15 Oct 2021
  • Honey-Oat Pain de Mie. Naturally fermented of course! This is really good toasted and for PB&J's.

• #6828 by norcoscia on 15 Oct 2021
  • Looks great Hans, did you make that in a 2 pound Pullman pan? If so could you tell me what your dough weight was? I have a 2 pound pan I have been wanting to try…

PS. Your bread looks so good you should open up a bakery - I guarantee you would make a lot of dough (I crack myself up).

PPS. My wife named our sourdough starter - weirdough  :-)
  • #6829 by HansB on 15 Oct 2021
  • Looks great Hans, did you make that in a 2 pound Pullman pan? If so could you tell me what your dough weight was? I have a 2 pound pan I have been wanting to try…

PS. Your bread looks so good you should open up a bakery - I guarantee you would make a lot of dough (I crack myself up).

PPS. My wife named our sourdough starter - weirdough  :-)

Thanks Norm. I'm not sure how many pounds it's meant for, it's the 9" (small) pullman. The dough is just over 800g. I started with the King Arthur formula but switched it over from IDY to SD a few years ago.

Wierdough, I like that! I've been calling mine Dough Biden lately.  :-D
  • #6830 by norcoscia on 15 Oct 2021
  • Dough Biden - love it!!!!!

I’ll dig my pan out of storage tomorrow - I think it is longer than 9” but have not looked at it for about 6 years so maybe it is 9.

I’ll look up the KA recipe, thanks for sharing that - stay safe and talk to you later…
  • #6831 by foreplease on 15 Oct 2021
  • Anova Oven test loaf #3. This one was cooked on a steel plate preheated in the Anova. It was also cooked 100% in the Anova (My last two were finished on a stone in my home oven). I proofed this one a bit less and only gave it a few stretch and folds (no mixer used). Mixed last night and rested in the refrigerator over night. Removed and placed on counter to proof this AM. Much better spring and lighter crumb, crust was amazing. Making progress figuring out my new oven - more work needed but enjoying the fresh sourdough bread every day and giving half to my neighbors:-)
    Each loaf is looking better then the previous. I was surprised in your first trial you baked the first half at 325°. Is that still how you’re doing it?
  • #6832 by norcoscia on 16 Oct 2021
  • Hi Tony, Agree, I’m making progress figuring out my new oven. For the last loaf, went full steam at 480 degrees using back and top heating elements. Then, once the dough was loaded I cut off the back heating element (which drops the temp to 350). At fifteen min, dropped  the steam from 100% to zero. Switched back to the rear element and finished the dough at 410 degrees (about 15 min.) I think the steel really helped, not much thermal mass in the oven without it (or a stone(s)).

Really just turning knobs trying to figure out what works best….A few more days of this and I will need all new cloths :-)
  • #6833 by norcoscia on 16 Oct 2021
  • Today’s effort, first boule in the Anova - I’m still not getting the oven spring I want, not sure what to try - need help if anyone has any ideas.
  • #6834 by Rolls on 17 Oct 2021
  • Today’s effort, first boule in the Anova - I’m still not getting the oven spring I want, not sure what to try - need help if anyone has any ideas.

An interesting technique from Jacquy Pfeiffer, co-founder of the French Pastry School in Chicago, is to pre-heat your home oven upwards of 450F, then turn it OFF completely as you load your dough pieces and bake them for the first 10 minutes.  Then turn the oven back on and complete the bake.  He also recommends putting some water in a small sheet tray on the oven floor to generate steam.  All of this was used for making baguettes in a home oven.

I've tried this technique with baguettes and also pan breads and don't see why it wouldn't work for boules.  I noticed a marked improvement in oven spring in my bakes.  Besides this, your dough needs to be properly developed and shaped to get good oven spring, as is always the case.

Rolls
  • #6835 by Pete_da_Bayer on 17 Oct 2021
    I wouldn`t worry about the outside, when the inside looks as good as that. Really nice crumb!
  • #6836 by norcoscia on 17 Oct 2021
  • Hi Rolls, thanks and my fault for not taking the time to explain my quest a little better :-)

I’m trying to get more oven spring in my new Anova precision oven - it is an oven that supports steam (from 1%-100%). So the steam is (should be) covered.

I think the problem might be the oven fan that must be on to use the steam function. It blows right across the dough and I think it is setting too fast (before I get full spring).

Of course it might be me over proofing a bit or screwing up the shaping but I have been making bread on and off since the 70s so hoping I’m not losing the tiny bit of mo-jo I have :-)
  • #6837 by norcoscia on 17 Oct 2021
  • I wouldn`t worry about the outside, when the inside looks as good as that. Really nice crumb!

Thanks Pete_da_Bayer, both the crumb and crust were perfect for me - but when I see the oven spring that folks like Hans and JBP are getting I can’t help but get loaf height envy  :-D
  • #6838 by loch on 17 Oct 2021
  • Does Anova have some sort of customer forum? A place where owners might exchange info or solutions they've come up with?

The reason I ask is that the convection type fan is a known issue when it comes to crust formation and oven spring. Just wondering if other owners might have come up with something to get around it.

Dave
  • #6839 by norcoscia on 17 Oct 2021
  • Does Anova have some sort of customer forum? A place where owners might exchange info or solutions they've come up with?

The reason I ask is that the convection type fan is a known issue when it comes to crust formation and oven spring. Just wondering if other owners might have come up with something to get around it.

Dave

Good idea, I’ll check it out…
  • #6840 by barryvabeach on 17 Oct 2021
  • Norm, there is a reddit group, and i have read a few posts on bread.https://www.reddit.com/r/AnovaPrecisionOven/  There is also a thread on Combi ovens, and the Anova and bread come up from time to time.  https://www.reddit.com/r/CombiSteamOvenCooking/
Pages:
Actions