A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Tonight's Lou. Butter flavored crisco in the pan is night and day vs oil  (Read 128901 times)

Offline McMuffins

• I Love Pizza!
Mm yeah, thatís correct, good catch. Probably wonít be a huge difference though.

Thanks for confirming! I have a tendency to overthink things like this, and therefore am stressing about minute details right now  :-\

Will re-run the numbers and post up my pizzas once I make them, likely this weekend.

Online nickyr

Thanks for confirming! I have a tendency to overthink things like this, and therefore am stressing about minute details right now  :-\

Will re-run the numbers and post up my pizzas once I make them, likely this weekend.
Donít worry, it will be delicious! Youíd basically have to forget to put it in the oven for it to taste bad.

Offline drmatt357

• I Love Pizza!
Great post Garvey!!!  I wasn't layering slices on the bottom but will now.  I recently ordered a box of the Malnati pies and were really good.  I was surprised.

Minor feedback would be: (A) try using thinner slices of mozz cheese and overlap them a bit so that no crust is showing, and (B) maybe use a little less tomato.

If it's helpful to see what it looks like, check out this video that shows how they assemble pizzas at Lou Malnati's:

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
I envision the cheese as a vapor barrier, so to speak.  That's how it makes sense in my head, anyway.  :-D

Offline Pizza Journey

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Tonight's Lou. Butter flavored crisco in the pan is night and day vs oil
« Reply #484 on: August 20, 2021, 02:22:23 PM »
This is such a good recipe, I made it last night and it was great. I used less sauce than I usually do and I think that really helped the overall pie.

I had an issue with it sticking to the bottom of the pan, though, and I made a mess of things getting it out. I am thinking it's because I didn't use a stone, and put the pan directly on the oven rack. I'll try it with the stone next time, maybe that will cook the bottom better and reduce the sticking. Hopefully.

Offline vwbugster1

• I Love to Re-Create Restaurant Recipes
« Reply #485 on: August 21, 2021, 11:29:54 AM »
What kind of pan did you use? I use a bit of cake release by wilton when i make deep dish pizza.

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #486 on: August 21, 2021, 12:20:31 PM »
This is such a good recipe, I made it last night and it was great. I used less sauce than I usually do and I think that really helped the overall pie.

I had an issue with it sticking to the bottom of the pan, though, and I made a mess of things getting it out. I am thinking it's because I didn't use a stone, and put the pan directly on the oven rack. I'll try it with the stone next time, maybe that will cook the bottom better and reduce the sticking. Hopefully.

Given the high oil content of the dough, it really shouldn't stick in any pan, lubed or not, stone or not.

I'll posit a different theory and you tell me if it's possible: there was leakage or seepage somewhere of liquid from the pie, either through a tiny hole or over the side somewhere and back down into the pan and underneath the crust, causing the liquid to carmelize and fuse the crust to the pan.

If you think this might be the culprit, the remedies are easy.  Pinch that rim high and tight, as Chicago Bob always says, and dial back the tomato product a little.  Don't worry: everyone over-tomatos their DD.  It's a common thing.  I've really embraced using fewer and bigger chunks, squeezed out beforehand, to avoid this.  And if you find the rim is sinking down after you've pressed it out, you can do what I do and press the cheese slices up along the rim to give it a skeleton to hold its shape.

HTH.  Cheers!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 12:26:56 PM by Garvey »

Offline Pizza Journey

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #487 on: August 22, 2021, 06:22:41 PM »

Given the high oil content of the dough, it really shouldn't stick in any pan, lubed or not, stone or not.

I'll posit a different theory and you tell me if it's possible: there was leakage or seepage somewhere of liquid from the pie, either through a tiny hole or over the side somewhere and back down into the pan and underneath the crust, causing the liquid to carmelize and fuse the crust to the pan.

If you think this might be the culprit, the remedies are easy.  Pinch that rim high and tight, as Chicago Bob always says, and dial back the tomato product a little.  Don't worry: everyone over-tomatos their DD.  It's a common thing.  I've really embraced using fewer and bigger chunks, squeezed out beforehand, to avoid this.  And if you find the rim is sinking down after you've pressed it out, you can do what I do and press the cheese slices up along the rim to give it a skeleton to hold its shape.

HTH.  Cheers!
Thanks! After thinking about it, I am pretty sure there must have been a hole (or a too-thin spot) at the bottom while I was stretching it in the pan, causing the seepage.

Offline macnmotion

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #488 on: September 07, 2021, 08:06:40 AM »
I tried making the recipe from the first post for my first time. It was pretty good. I should have left it in the oven 5-7 more minutes to crisp up the crust just a little bit. I haven't eaten at Lou's but my friend is from Chicago, and he said we nailed the flavor. We had sausage and pepperoni inside along with mozzerella and provolone, and then a layer of pepperoni on top, my friend wanted some crispy pepperoni. Room for improvement. The calculator was great, my dough ball was within 1g of the target weight, and it seemed to fill the pan, incluidng 1-1/4 inches up the side, perfectly.

I don't have a stone, so I preheated an upside down cast iron pan to 425, then upped the oven to 450 when I put the pizza on top of that cast iron pan.

Other than baking it a bit longer, can anyone spot anything that might improve the pizza? Thanks.

Offline pizzapieguy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #489 on: October 07, 2021, 07:35:51 AM »
Hello everyone, I've been making Detroit style pizzas at home using Hans B recipe to great success and wanted to venture into Chicago deep dish style and this recipe looks excellent! I have some lloydpans 7" 2.25" depth pans, what formulation should i use for that? Also, is the first post from Pyro the current recipe everyone is following? I saw as i was reading through all the pages that semolina was included, then omitted. Wasn't sure if that was due to experimentation or an outright change. I have IDY and ADY, is fresh yeast for this worth acquiring?

Offline frankenfab

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #490 on: October 11, 2021, 11:14:59 AM »
I gave this a go yesterday, using the recipe at the beginning of the thread.

I didn't have corn oil, and didn't want to buy a whole bottle, so I used peanut oil as a substitute.

Found some "Old Folks" Italian Sausage in the meat section, 2 - 1b. chubs for <$7.

Made dough and let it rise for 5 hours, sealed at room temp. had a little trouble manipulating the dough, so this pie was EXTRA rustic.

I didn't want to buy 4 sticks of butter flavored Crisco, so I bought 1 stick of plain Crisco, and used equal parts Crisco and room temp butter whipped together.

Dough, sliced LMM, sausage pinches, RAO's marinara, pepperoni, thinly sliced fresh Portabellas, grated hard parm.

Oh, and mozzarella pearls on top as well.

I was a bit worried about using my spring form pan, but it actually came out a little under done after 28 minutes at 450 on a stone. Probably because the inside of the pan is white.

I was very happy for a first attempt.

Thanks for this thread!

« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 01:07:25 PM by frankenfab »
Frank (the fabricator)

Offline mamerthemario

• Mmmm... Pizza.