A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: BobGraff's Attempt at Aimless Ryan's Tommy's Pizza Clone  (Read 29261 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: BobGraff's Attempt at Aimless Ryan's Tommy's Pizza Clone
« Reply #360 on: October 07, 2021, 09:20:24 PM »
Bob,

Can you tell us how the Tommy's pizza you made differs from the pizzas that you have made and discussed in this thread? And did you like the Tommy's pizza that you made?

Peter

Offline tedcholl

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #361 on: October 07, 2021, 09:31:29 PM »
The lamination and the amount of crumbs is very reminiscent of when I went to the Upper Arlington location a few months ago.  How would you compare this purchased skin vs one's you've ordered from Tommy's?   Did it seem that the crust was thicker than what you normally make?  Any other thoughts as to how Tommy's crust is so dense?
So excited!

Ted

Offline bobgraff

« Reply #362 on: October 07, 2021, 10:26:40 PM »
Bob,

Can you tell us how the Tommy's pizza you made differs from the pizzas that you have made and discussed in this thread? And did you like the Tommy's pizza that you made?

Peter

Tommy's crust seems much heavier and more dense than my crust, though I am using the same amount of dough (300g) for a 12" pizza.  I also noted that Tommy's dough is much darker than my own.  Very curious!  I did like the pizza I made, though it seemed very dry and crunchy.

The lamination and the amount of crumbs is very reminiscent of when I went to the Upper Arlington location a few months ago.  How would you compare this purchased skin vs one's you've ordered from Tommy's?   Did it seem that the crust was thicker than what you normally make?  Any other thoughts as to how Tommy's crust is so dense?
So excited!

Ted

Purchased skin vs actual Tommy's pizza:  As mentioned above, my pizza made from the purchase skin was very dry.  I presume that is due to par-baking the skin.  The dough felt like it had less water and more fat than my own, however the cooked pizza did not seem greasy.  I'm honestly puzzled.  Wondering if more malt syrup could help, especially color-wise.

Pics below: 
1. Bob's pizza
2. Pizza with Tommy's uncooked skin
3. Tommy's pizza
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 11:38:39 PM by bobgraff »
Bob

"I learn each day what I need to know to do tomorrow’s work." - Arnold Toynbee

Offline bobgraff

« Reply #363 on: October 11, 2021, 09:36:51 PM »
10/06/2021 Dough

410 g Mondako brend flour
196 g water (48%)
34 g Soybean Oil
16 g Sugar
.6 g IDY
6 g salt

Dough Prep
2 hour RT ferment, hand mixed dough formed into 2 dough balls, then bagged and stored in fridge for 5 days. Dough warmed at RT for 3 hours.

Sauce
1 cup Stanislaus Full Red Super Heavy Tomato Puree
1/2 cup Stanislaus 7/11 ground tomatoes
1/4 cup Water
7/32  tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp oregano
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp Romano cheese

Cheese
Trader Joe's Whole-Milk Mozzarella (1 cup) + Bel Gioioso Mild Provolone (1/4 cup)

The Bake
6 min par bake (parchment on steel @ 485) + 6 minutes @ 475, fully dressed (screened on steel).

Results
This week's experiment borrowed IDY and sugar amounts from Pete's Papa John's recipe .  This (non laminated) crust was very pastry-like.  The extra sugar gave the crust a semi-sweet taste, similar to the flavor of a King's Hawaiian Sweet Roll (except much crispier).

A good learning exercise, but the pastry-like crust is not something I care to repeat.
Bob

Offline 333meg

• Surprisingly pizza obsession has not made me fat.
« Reply #364 on: October 15, 2021, 02:12:15 PM »
Bob! I’m catching up on all of your posts. I cannot wait to try Tommy’s skins. Your photos look amazing. Great work on all of your write ups. It’s very helpful for anyone wanting to try this style.
Pursuing pizza has put me into an airplane, in a car and on road trips of hundreds of miles...

Offline bobgraff

« Reply #365 on: October 18, 2021, 06:05:26 PM »
Pizza made from another Tommy's crust/skin + topped with their sauce.

Baking procedure:
6.5 min par bake with sauce (parchment on steel @ 475) + 6 minutes @ 460 convection, fully dressed (screened on steel). 

Still trying to figure out what makes their dough more dense and stiff compared to my own.  The dough color seemed lighter than the last skin I purchased - perhaps the first was exposed to air longer than this one?  I again noted that the dough smelled like it was highly fermented.

I had always assumed that Tommy's dough had a high fat content as their pizzas have a fried quality to them.  Thinking that that Tommy's may grease their pans, I lightly coated the parchment paper with cooking spray.  The baked pizza here seemed less dry than before, but did not achieve the "fried effect".

This is the first time I've tried their sauce by itself.  It seems to be nothing more than crushed tomato, black pepper, and garlic powder.  I did not detect any oil or herbs, but would not be surprised if there was a small amount of salt in it.  I was surprised to find that the garlic flavor was overshadowed by the black pepper.

Par-baking with sauce (heaping 1/4 cup) resulted in a slight sauce burn, but nothing that effected the flavor of the pizza.

The cooked pizza was very good, but still not quite the same as getting a finished pizza from the restaurant.  It's well known that hard cheese and maybe extra garlic powder and/or dried herbs are sprinkled on the pizza, so perhaps those omissions could explain the the difference.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 07:05:39 AM by bobgraff »
Bob

Offline bobgraff

« Reply #366 on: October 24, 2021, 10:54:49 AM »
10/20/2021 Dough

410 g Mondako brend flour
180 g water (43.9%)
0 g Oil/Shortening
9 g malt syrup
6 g IDY
5 g salt

Dough Prep
3 hour RT ferment, loosely mixed dough formed into a single ball, then bagged and stored in fridge for 3
 days. Dough warmed at RT for 4 hours.  Dough balls formed just prior to rolling out.

Sauce
Tommy's sauce (via carryout)

Cheese
Grande New York Blend Mozzarella +Trader Joe's Whole-Milk Mozzarella

Sausage
.25 lb Ground pork
.5 tsp salt
.25 tsp black pepper
.25 tsp sugar
.25 tsp vermouth
.25 tsp brandy
.125 tsp red pepper flakes
.125 tsp fennel
.125 tsp minced fresh garlic garlic powder

The Bake
6 min par bake (parchment on steel @ 475) + 6.5 minutes @ 475 convection, fully dressed (screened on steel).

Results
Baking a few times with Tommy's actual dough has made me wonder what is it that produces a more stiff dough?  I decided to go to an extreme this week by completely omitting oil in my dough.  The dough balls were notably more difficult to roll out and the baked crust was very tough, especially when cold.  Do not recommend! Ultimately the dough was more stiff compared to my usual, so the lesson learned was that Tommy's dough has less fat in it than the 7% I had been using.

I increased the amount of Tommy's sauce used per 12" pizza  from 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup and lo and behold that elusive Tommy's signature flavor was achieved.  Last week I had questioned whether the noted flavor was due to "sprinkled additions", but I am now confident that the flavor is really all about the crushed tomato that they use.  Pureed and strained Stanislaus 7/11 or Bianco DiNapoli tomatoes might be a worthy substitute.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 11:01:12 AM by bobgraff »
Bob