A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: A trip to my local library  (Read 1054 times)

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
A trip to my local library
« on: November 15, 2018, 10:36:35 AM »
I took my daughter to the Camarillo public library yesterday and I decided to take a personal detour to see what pizza books they had on their shelves.  I managed to find, "Truly Madly Pizza" by Suzanne Lenzer, "Grilled Pizza The Right Way" by John Delpha, "The Pizza Book" by Evelyne Slomon and "The Bread Baker's Apprentice" by Peter Reinhart.   I immediately went to work and converted all the dough recipes into bakers percentages.  The long and short of it was that not a single one had a dough formulation that worth trying.  Reinhart's Neapolitan pizza dough had 9.9% oil  along with 69% water.  Slomon's salt level was 0.5%.  Lenzer had 1.8% yeast and 13.8% oil.  Delpha had salt and sugar at 1.7% each with the yeast at 2.2%. 

All of these are SO off-base.  I could use a random number generator and come up with formulations better than these.  Stunningly terrible.  I'll jot down some topping combos that look interesting and move on with my life.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
Re: A trip to my local library
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 11:00:33 AM »
Surpsing and sad. Was looking through Forkish pizza book the other day...Waste of shelf space

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 07:34:29 AM »
Cookbook sells and fake news have a lot in common.  What sells is more important than what is good.

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • marty, whatever happens, don't go to 2020!
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 04:56:16 PM »
Cookbook sells and fake news have a lot in common.  What sells is more important than what is good.

so true Randy! Another parallel, I bet the authors of these cookbooks would claim our reviews are full of lies!
jeff

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress