A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Dough trays - cheaper alternatives?  (Read 5286 times)

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • Infinite Monkey Theorem at work
Dough trays - cheaper alternatives?
« on: August 29, 2019, 08:04:20 PM »
OK, I am in shock. I started looking on line for dough trays and lids and am aghast at the cost. I started with Dough Mate and by the time it is shipped here to Canada it increases from $30 - $90. Amazon was about the same, and a well known restaurant supply here In BC, kindly called with their solution, $70 for one tray with lid! I am a cabinet maker, I can make a wood box and have but want to have the option of using a plastic box about 24x18x3” to proof the dough and learn better technique of how to handle,  .. . . . oh, and the grandkids are getting hungrier . . . .

If you know of an alternate plastic dough tray or Tupperware or . . . Please let me know

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 08:06:29 PM by Icelandr »
Greg
PizzaParty 70x70, saputo floor

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • In Memoriam
  • In Memoriam 12/2020
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Dough trays - cheaper alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 10:08:17 PM »
Plastic Food Saver bags! They work better than dough boxes, a lot cheaper too. If you will search back in the archives (not very long ago) we had quite a bit of discussion on this very topic.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 10:05:05 AM »
Thanks Tom, but Been there done that. I have been using individual Tupperware containers for years but have decided that I want to change to a standard tray, in part to learn the process of extricating the balls of dough correctly and partially to accommodate an increasing amount of dough being made. As the number of pizza isn’t skyrocketing, it has been increasing to 8-10 balls at a time, not industrial to be sure, but a lot of plastic bags or containers. The containers however get washed and re used, the plastic bags likely not and they are difficult to recycle here.
Greg

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 10:20:29 AM »
I use sheet pans and these https://www.webstaurantstore.com/1-2-size-bun-pan-cover-18-x-13/407PLSP1813C.html   there are 1/4, 1/2 and full size - I have a few of both the 1/4 and 1/2 size.  I got the idea from Bradtri  , here is a picture of a post that he did  https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=49039.msg492996#msg492996
Deb

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 10:26:56 AM »
How about full-size foodservice cold pans. They are about 12" x 20", and a 4" deep one is about $15 w/lid.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/cambro-14pp190-full-size-translucent-food-pan-4-deep/21414PP.html
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 10:27:01 AM »
Thanks Deb, I will have a look at your on line link, I was just flabbergasted at the price of dough trays.
Greg

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 10:45:23 AM »
Thank you Craig I will see if there is a matching lid. I missed those in my searches, so thanks.
Greg

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 11:00:57 AM »
Thank you Craig I will see if there is a matching lid. I missed those in my searches, so thanks.

There is, and there are different materials for different applications. That one I posted is the lest expensive, I think.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 12:24:36 PM »
Are wood boxes better than plastic??  Or no difference

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2019, 12:48:41 PM »
Greg,

Since you are in British Columbia do you have access to the kinds of products that Deb and Craig mentioned? Also, if you were to go to either plastic dough trays or food bags, would you have to revise your pluviometer method or numbers?

Peter

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2019, 12:55:30 PM »
Hi Peter - I haven’t yet checked shipping costs, usually a shock in itself but will have a look. As mentioned the Dough Mate artisan looked great but shipping and duty just killed it, putting it over 3x the cost. I asked Scott, SK, to look into his buying and then shipping - just as scary.
I think the pluviometer will be fine as I believe time temp and yeast amount is what affects the rise.
Thanks for the note.
Greg

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2019, 02:15:19 PM »
Are wood boxes better than plastic??  Or no difference

Definitely different. You may or may not think they are better or worse. One thing I like about them is that they draw a bit of water out of the bottom of the dough which lets my use very little or even zero bench flour.

Offline Gene in Acadiana

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2019, 06:20:41 PM »
Definitely different. You may or may not think they are better or worse. One thing I like about them is that they draw a bit of water out of the bottom of the dough which lets my use very little or even zero bench flour.

Craig, what's the proper way to clean a wood proofing box to store for later use? I'm guessing it's probably best not to use any type of soap and just rinse it thoroughly with hot water.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2019, 02:31:35 PM »
Craig, what's the proper way to clean a wood proofing box to store for later use? I'm guessing it's probably best not to use any type of soap and just rinse it thoroughly with hot water.

I just scrape it out dry. I've seen the same done in pizzerias. I don't see any need to do more. Not much risk of anything growing on it dry, and even if it did and gets on the pizza, it dies as soon as it hits the deck.

Offline halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2019, 11:32:01 AM »
What's the best procedure in using wood boxes

I assume bulk rise in plastic container then use the wood box after balling

How long are balls in the wood box.
And do you flour the floor of the box
Flour of tops of the dough, oil the tops or nothing

Jerry

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2019, 11:42:24 AM »
I find that much more than 15-18 hours or so in the wood, and the bottoms get too try. I usually go 12-15h. I do put some flour down on the bottom of the box. I don't do anything to the tops though you might want to check them along the way to make sure the tops aren't drying out and mist them if they are getting dry.

You'll need to experiment some to fine tune things.

Offline unchained

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2020, 10:46:12 PM »
OK, I am in shock. I started looking on line for dough trays and lids and am aghast at the cost. I started with Dough Mate and by the time it is shipped here to Canada it increases from $30 - $90. Amazon was about the same, and a well known restaurant supply here In BC, kindly called with their solution, $70 for one tray with lid! I am a cabinet maker, I can make a wood box and have but want to have the option of using a plastic box about 24x18x3” to proof the dough and learn better technique of how to handle,  .. . . . oh, and the grandkids are getting hungrier . . . .

If you know of an alternate plastic dough tray or Tupperware or . . . Please let me know

Thanks

Same problem here. Canada too (on).

Did you come up with anything? The plastic ones are around 70 bucks for One tray and One lid once you ship out. Nuts.

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2020, 11:28:57 PM »
With some embarrassment, I went with DoughMate, gulped at the price here in BC, but pleased with the product. I cut a couple of birch plywood bottoms, 1/4”, to place in the bottom of the boxes and have been happy with the results. Hope you find a solution, it was the exchange and shipping plus brokerage at the border that killed me!
Greg

Offline Hank

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2021, 03:20:39 AM »
I realise this is an older thread however, I found it using the search function, so I guess someone else might as well.

I am very new to making my own dough, but wanted to mention what I am using to proof my dough. I didn't want to immediately shell out the $90AUD for 2 trays and a lid so I went scrounging through my wife collection of kitchen related plastic accoutrements. What I found was a set of cupcake boxes (2 layer) which clip togther so the bottom on one is the lid of the other. I turfed the actual cupcake tray insert and bingo. two trays which hold at least 5 each and could probable hold 6 balls (mine were about 250g each)

They are sold here in Australia for about $35AUD Daily Bake Stackable cupcake carrier new for the set and about $25USD in the USA Snapware Snap and Stack on eBay.

Here are some photos of them in action.

Offline rossopizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2021, 11:12:15 PM »
Brilliant! Ordered from Amazon $18. Thanks for posting this.
I was literally just agonizing about trays: DoughMates not available and too expensive, food service trays would be fine but those annoying wide lips, bags meh, individual containers ruin that nice tray dough ball look!

wordpress